main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena [Game] The Basketball Draft

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Jan 16, 2013.

1. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    No surprises on the MVP there, I think.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I would hope that all the games aren't just played at MSG.

:p

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Don't worry. They won't be.

DarthTunick likes this.
  4. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Inty, studies show some severe home team bias in simulations. Is there any foundation to these reports, or is it just pure happenstance that when our team of highly trained experts ran tests the home teams were crushing people as opposed to only winning a slight majority when they played "away"? The difference has been something like ~.600 when away and ~.800 when home(using the same two teams in ~100 sims). Does the simulator account for some kind of home field advantage? Could this explain both home teams winning here tonight?

5. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    No. My team won because I had better arguments.

6. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    You need to spend a little more time on your first round pick, I think.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    My team put up a good fight, I'd say. Coach Jackie Moon is happy.

[​IMG]

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I hope my home game is :)

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Speaking of home games, the L.A. Courtsiders play at*:

[​IMG]

Coached by:

[​IMG]

*= if only these mattered in the simulation. :p

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Don't care where I play, but this is my coach. If he tamed Bill Walton's hair, Iverson and Rodman should be no problem.

[​IMG]

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I've seen home court matter when using historical teams. Especially those with dramatic road/home splits. I've not seen it, however, with custom/"dream" teams in the simulation. But, just in case there is some of that, that's why I built in the double-round robin with every team home and away.

I'll get to some fresh sims here in a bit.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    From the United Center, in Chicago Illinois ...

Midland City Gutless Wonders 113, We Talkin' Bout Practice 95

The Gutless Wonders proved to be the masters of closing out, as they eased to a victory over the band of unrepentant gunners.

Elvin Hayes rejected three straight shots from We Talkin' Bout Practice during a one-minute, twenty-second stretch with three minutes left in the first half. These swats keyed eight points for the Gutless Wonders on fast break shots from four different players, as they built their halftime lead. After We Talkin' Bout Practice pulled within four points early in the fourth quarter, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul keyed a 12-0 run to remove doubt from the game. In the run, Paul had four points, two assists, and two steals, and Wade had four points and an assist.

Wilt Chamberlain was named player of the game, putting up a double-double of 15 points and 12 rebounds. He got key contributions from Paul (19 points, 8 assists, 3 steals), Wade (12 points 11 assists), and Larry Bird (12 points, 5 rebounds, 6 assists).

The game started with wild momentum swings. After each team made their first four shots to put us at 8-8, The Gutless Wonders threatened to put the game away early with a 10-0 run. That, naturally, was matched by We Talkin' Bout Practice with an 8-0 run.

Box Score:

[​IMG]

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    From the United Center, in Chicago, Illinois ...

Bruce Willis 107, Game...Blouses 99

LeBron James as a do-it-all Super Star operating within a "Big Three". Sounds Familiar, right? And scary for defenses.

Well, Game...Blouses found out just how scary it can be with the other two in the "Big Three" are Tracey McGrady and David Robinson. James had 21 points, 8 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks on his way to a player of the game recognition. But, McGrady added 25 points, and Robinson poured in 23 while grabbing nine rebounds.

James keyed an 10-3 first quarter run for Bruce Willis. First, he hit a jumper to put the team up five, then fed Russel Westbook in the corner for a three. James stole the ball from Derrick Rose and fed Amare Stoudamire for a dunk, and after Reggie Miller hit a three to give some hope to Game...Blouses, James fed McGrady in the corner for a three.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar scored six straight in the middle of the second quarter, and Game...Blouses ended the half on a 6-0 run keyed by jumpers for Jerry West, Gary Payton and Gary Payton again to pull within 3 at intermission. Payton scored again with 3:46 to go in the third to bring Game...Blouses all the way back to a tie game at 66. Game...Blouses could never take the lead, however, As Lebron James hit a jumper, fed Steve Nash, and then Amare Stoudamire finished a sweet jam for a 6-0 run, before a Derrick Rose three at the buzzer brought the game to within three.

David Robinson owned the start of the 4th on both ends of the court. He drew an early charge on Abdul-Jabbar, scored four points, and made a clutch shot later in the quarter to stop a Game...Blouses run. When Lebron made 4 of 6 free throws down the stretch, the game was sealed.

Box Score:

[​IMG]

14. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Good team effort. I'm surprised at our points leader.

15. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Standings

Alley Division

Sahara Heatwave 1-0 (+7)
    Honey Nut Cheerios 1-0 (+6)
    L.A. Courtsiders (0-1) (-6)
    Blue Screen of Death 0-1 (-7)

Oop Division

Midland City Gutless Wonders 1-0 (+18)
    Bruce Willis 1-0 (+8)
    Game...Blouses 0-1 (-8)
    We Talkin' Bout Practice? 0-1 (-18)

Next set of games:

L.A. Courtsiders @ Blue Screen of Death
    Honey Nut Cheerios @ Sahara Heatwave

Midland City Gutless Wonders @ Game...Blouses
    We Talkin' Bout Practice? @ Bruce Willis

Get me lineup strategies in the next 24 hours. If I don't hear from you, I will assume no changes.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Apparently Gary Payton thought he was Russell Westbrook or something :p

C: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (38 min) Bill Walton (6 min) Dave Cowens (4 min)
    PF: Karl Malone (38 min) Bill Walton (10 min)
    SF: John Havlicek (34 min) Bernard King (10 min) Reggie Miller (4 min)
    SG: Jerry West (30 min) Reggie Miller (10 min) Sam Jones (8 min)
    PG: Gary Payton (24 min) Derrick Rose (24 min)

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm so disappointed... not only did my team failed to complete a furious comeback, but Robert Horry didn't contribute at all offensively. He was drafted for one specific purpose: to score in close, late game situations.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Also - in between games, some feedback for me. On the recaps - is that enough info? Too much? Not enough? Something else you want to see? (Other than me figuring out how to get you the full play-by-play)

19. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    I think you're summing up the games nicely. More is always better, but I like them anyway.

P.S. we'll let the depth chart ride.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nice win, EF. We'll bounce back!

And I think those recaps are great, DI. Will have my lineup up tomorrow AM.

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    You're doing a fine job with the recaps/game info, Inty.

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just want to say that this is awesome, and not just because i won. :p love the game recaps.

thinking about playing dirk less minutes since he seems like a bit of a 5th wheel and kemp can do more intangible things, but i'm going to stick with the same depth chart for at least one more game and see what happens.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i'd like a little more, but they're good.

24. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    I just wish there was a way to see how defense was played besides just steals. My opponents had a poor shooting% which may mean we forced hard shots, but other than that I have no way of knowing and that played significantly into my strategy. Recaps are spot-on. I'm always for more but I'm not the one who has to take time doing recaps.

Trimaj likes this.
  25. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    In the play-by-play it says whether or not shots were contested.