main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info George Lucas donating the whole 4 Billion to charity!

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by obi-rob-kenobi4, Oct 31, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Lucas has had an educational foundation that he's been putting money into for quite awhile. The fact that he's donating so much of the proceeds from this sale to education, makes me feel much better about it.

I've wondered the same thing and I really hope we're both wrong.

2. Fish On The Sand

Fish On The Sand Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    Hopefully he's still alive and kicking for many more years; :) a Star Wars film released with absolutely no George involved would truly be a sad day. I'm thinking he's still got plenty more good years left, but I guess anything's possible. After October 30th, I'm not sure anything Star Wars related would shock me anymore.

3. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    That is awesome news. Amazing!!!

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    He is getting old and he's most likely donating the money 'cause he's already a ****ing billionaire.

5. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    One of the biggest, although for years, Bill Gates has given the majority of his wealth to charity as well, and I think so has Trump.

6. ShelbySpencer

ShelbySpencer Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I say good for him. Most in Hollywood would never do something like he did. He's a great person.

7. ShelbySpencer

ShelbySpencer Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I say good for him. Most in Hollywood would never do something like he did. He's a great person.

8. Bender666

Bender666 Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    He did acquire a lot of Disney stock in the deal. Still a classy gesture though.

9. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Agreed, Imagine if the greedy powerhouses of Hollywood just donated 10-15% of their stockpile the whole world would be fed. They should be shamed. Good on GL.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  10. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Anybody have an inkling of specifically which charities he'll be giving to? I know he's supported technology education in the past, which is awesome, but if I had 4 billion to donate I'd probably use it to extend basic education in the developing world. Just saying.

11. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Not really. Many of the early industrialists donated large percentages of their estates to 'charity' via their private foundations (FORD Foundation/Rockifeller Foundation etc). Hopefully George isn't up to the same thing. When foundations are started its more of a power play to effect public policy (politics). Rarely do the extremely rich just give their money away to random charities. I hope Lucas is in fact doing that - it would be great. Maybe technology for schools in poor neighborhoods. All of it. No strings attached

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  12. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Wow that's awesome! What a class act. Very honourable.

13. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    What an amazing guy and what an example of generosity.O:)

14. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I thought half of it was in disney shares...

15. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Good job and not surprising at all. I never understand the hatred people have for this man. Yeah he has tinkered with the movies etc. But if it wasn't for him there would be no Star Wars period. No toys, collecibles, movies books. Wow I can't imagine life without Star Wars. Thanks George once again for creating this world.

Of of course this donation doesn't put a dent in his pocket but there are many people loaded with cash and your lucky if they donate 50k to charity.

16. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    More people need to acknowledge this gesture.

Im sick of George Lucas making an amazing contribution to society overall and then the news comes and goes and one month latter people are back to ignorantly, smugly calling him nasty names.

17. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    A lot of people may say they would do it, but seems he actually will. Well done George!

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Dying? Suicide? Could it not just be that he has a really good heart and cares for others? He probably has enough money for several lifetimes over, before the sale to Disney. A great example to the corporate pigs out there that are just interested in lining their own pocket's at the expense of the common man! Good on you George!

19. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Regardless of what you think of the PT and whether you think Lucas "raped your childhood", George deserves the benefit of the doubt. If you think otherwise, you are just completely cynical.

20. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Although I prefer the OT by far, I have recently reassessed the PT as a body of art that Lucas told as he wanted regardless of what was trendy or what was sugar coated for accessibility! PS, I still hate wwwaaaayyyyy too much CGI!

21. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    I'll say it again, starting foundations isnt necessarily charity - it can be more political, as in, shaping society in whichever way he see's fit. Think "Rockefeller Foundation" Ford Foundation etc.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  22. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    You can bash the man all you want, but you can't deny the good he's done for the film industry, and now this too. Personally George has never struck me as being an arrogant jack@$$ completely full of himself, thinking he could do no wrong whatsoever which is untrue as he's actually quite honest on a variety of things like how he admits to not being the best writer ever, unlike some people out there.

DarthBoba likes this.
  23. Darth kRud

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm not bashing him I'm just a student of history and am aware when billionaires start foundations it's done so in order to shape society to their liking. NGO's/Foundations have a sorted history - one of the most recent ones that exposes the political nature of NGO foundations is Koch Industries(s):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_family_foundations

It boils down to what Lucas political goals are. Charity with a political agenda, in my opinion, isn't charity, it isn't altruism. My definition of charity/altruism is helping people with no strings attached.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-governmental_organization#Critiques