main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

George Lucas is Retiring

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Sinrebirth , Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    well as I said: if he did "clearly state" such a thing then it wouldn't do him any favours. Columbo doesn't "state" that his suspects are murderes until the end.

well, from what I've read they are defending peoples disappointments NOT the nutters.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    This.

To provide a decent analogy, those of us in the UK who tried to understand why the youths who participated in last years London and Birmingham riots did what they did weren't condoning the violence in any way or form, just trying to understand why they did what they did.

I'm in no way saying death threats and name calling is right, but I easily understand why they do what they do even if they are expressing their anguish in the wrong way. And I struggle to sympathise with Lucas given that over the course of the special edition controversy he made further revisions not once, but twice, and still seems to be astonished that, and I quote, "Everything I do is wrong." He has all right to withhold the O-OT. He has every right to make alterations. But I find it astonishing and confusing that he gets upset when already angry fans get angrier at his decisions.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fair comparison, and it is very possible to accept that people are disappointed (in the case of certain segments of the Star Wars fandom) or even understand why people are upset (in the case of the rioters), while losing sympathy for them once they start behaving like ***holes (in the case of both groups).

Both groups could choose to express themselves in an adult manner--as many disappointed Star Wars fans do on this site. They have chosen instead to behave like toddlers.

It's fine for a fan to be disappointed about Lucas not re-releasing the O-OT, and to say so. It's fine, even encouraged, to write to Lucas and express such disappointment in a civil manner. It's not OK or even understandable to say, "Well, I wasn't heard, now I'm going to get louder and more threatening, and if anyone tells me that I'm wrong to behave that way, my excuse is that I'm angry."

I don't see fan disappointment as the underlying cause here. If it were, those of you in this thread who are disappointed in Lucas would also be sending Katie Lucas nasty tweets and making death threats. Since you aren't, there are obviously other ways to express disappointment. Therefore, general ***hole-ishness must be the cause.

4. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Sounds right to me, unfortunately it is usually the small % of society which makes the most noise and acts like schmucks that get all the attention.

5. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    "COMEDY" like south park and family guy don't help.

6. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    You hit the nail on the head [face_peace]

7. Dynoblaze

Dynoblaze Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2010
    YESSS!!!!!!!!!! I'll shamelessly admit to being one of the many on Facebook, Twitter, etc thanking God Lucas is GONE from filmaking. NO more reedits, no more aliens and nuke proof fridges, no more screwing with continuity, just like with SOPA THE INTERNETZ ALWAYS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO not forgive do not forget!!!!!!

Now that that's over.... I don't know what facebook page some of you were looking at but all i had to do was take a quick glance at the Star Wars page and pull these. It's even worse on the Attack of The Show and Lucas Facebook fan pages

"Haven't you made enough?! Leave the already bastardized prequels to you're masterpiece alone and make something new if you want to impress me. Not make an old movie 3-D."
    "How did you drop the ball so bad on episodes 1 2 and somewhat 3"
    "this might be a good movie now. but wait 10 or 15 years before he ruins it by doing a "special edition" and three poorly written prequals."
    "I'm a giant fan of his early work but it's bout time he called it quits ... he ***king destroyed the last three star wars movies and the last Indiana Jones episode. ...sniffle* sniffle* he he he raped him!!!! He He He raped INDY!! WHAAAAA!!!"
    "Thank god! Now he won't be able to ruin anymore of his masterpieces."

Just like the people who hate the clone wars with a passion are hc sw fans the same can be said for Lucas supporters. Most of the sighs of relief are from casual people who never read any of the comics etc (most of the cries for his death though ARE from SW EU fans) How did this attitude come about (putting aside fanboy rages like mine over continutity)?

Lucas is part of the directors who don't know when they've lost it (Looking at YOU Speilburg) Red Tails will flop and that will seal the deal (critics are already panning it). This is the twenty first century the age of the internet and free information. People want control over their content. They don't want edits forced on them, they like their "silly continutiy", etc. I would argue that the Lucas supporters who accept everything meekly and with cries of "it's his he can do what he wants" are the MINORITY.
    1. Look at You Tube for all the videos of the edits he made. The like/dislike bar looks like a sith lightsaber.
    2. NoN Stop all over the internet there are more people rejoicing than crying over the news
    3. The prequels and clone wars are bashed and considered crap with a few jewels scattered within
    4. Just as "Use the force" is a common phrase "lucas lost it" is a common phrase too. South Park, Family Guy, and other shows have made jokes about how he now sucks and obviously by the lack of crying over his retirement the message has sunk into pop culture.
    5. Just as he basically admits that he could care less about the fans (doesn't fly in this era) he also admits that his time is over
    6. Dark Knight, Harry Potter, Inception all kicked his prequel movies asses in box office returns

Look at the revolts against SOPA , the hatred of corporate greed in the occupy protests, modern culture does not share the old media belief that because they made it they can do what they want with it (as weird as it sounds the attitude most people have now is "we paid for it WE tell you what to do"). And Lucas IS old media.
    The message that he sucks has been trumpeted thoughout various icons of pop culture. Given that steady barrage, even if you don't know who he is that well the one thing you will know is that he sucks.
    HIgh expectations for his movies with no deliverly by George also didn't help
    Woking against him even more is his adherence to the "kid-friendly, old serial, concept" In the age where most foul language in online multiplayers comes from 8-12 year olds "PWNing" you. And those same said tweens are playing COD GoW GTA etc listening to gangsta rap and watching lots of content online that's unmentionable. His attempts to whoo them seems.....sad..(like a last attempt to try and bring back an era that's over) and naiive (like him thinking Red Tails will win over black teenagers that are sadley into "thuggn dis shiz, everyday I be hust

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    So, let me see if I understand your position correctly:

1. You claim that your personal opinion represents "most people" (how arrogant of you).

2. You believe that Lucas deserves death threats and other kinds of nastiness directed towards him because of your personal opinion that he has "lost it" as a director.

3. You believe that you should be able to dictate what movies are made, and therefore Lucas should not make any films that you dislike, regardless of whether other people like them. IOW, you don't have the option of ignoring films you dislike.

4. You believe that SouthPark, Family Guy, and people who comment on YouTube videos actually represent the norm of society, as opposed to the lowest common denominator of society.

5. You cheer when the lowest common denominator of society "wins" and think that bullying ***holes having such a presence on the Internet is a good thing.

Or there is always option 6:

You're just trolling.

9. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    1. No, just read the comments on Facebook on Twitter. For every one person saying how sad he is there's two rejoicing. I just quote a mere four. If I could I would drown you in screenshots
    2. No I was pointing out that many regular non star wars freaks dislike him. AND pointng out It was only the hardcore sw fans that were wishing him death (due to someone making it sound like everyone that was rejoicing wanted him dead).
    3. NO, when most people tell someone that their time is over...they should listen instead of grasping at straws and making people madder. The prequels are panned. Why? because to the majority and PEOPLE AND CRITICS they sucked. The majority doesn't want to see George mess with Star Wars anymore therefore he must go and stop making things. Of course the consumer should dictate how he does things. It's why itunes is popular (CHOICE on what you get without having to buy an entire album) MMO's (customization and ability to do things YOUR way) Reality shows like American Idol (WE decide who wins) and open source software (ultimate in ability to customize)
    4. Yes, there a reason those shows are popular and quoted by everyone from adults to tweens. When was the last time you looked at the ratings and itunes popularity ranking for them? Overall and the weeks a new episode comes out. Both shows are always the top five on itunes for a week after a new release.
    5. Exactly. Keeps old media in line. Lucas and his style are obsolete. There a reason why cable keeps needed to up the ante in content every year (like modern family last week)

6. Lean to read the post correctly. prehaps I didn't format it well enough my bad. Up until the bold was my personal opinion mixed in with evidence that the people rejoicing were the majority.
    After the bold is me showing why so many NON Star Wars fans or casual fans who've only seen the movies were happy (to explain to any who seem baffled as to why this is) A mix of the influence of pop culture, Star Wars slowely being seen as quaint, some fails on Lucas's part, etc

10. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010

o_O

especially number 4

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Well, if you actually believe that the characters on SouthPark and Family Guy represent the average person in America, that the arts should be dictated by what the dregs of humanity want (and people who throw Internet tantrums and threaten Lucas are the dregs of humanity and should not be allowed to dictate anything--they should sit in time-out like the small children whose behavior they are emulating; they can be taken seriously when they learn to behave like adults) and you are also arrogant enough to believe that your opinion represents what "most people" think, I'm afraid we're at an impasse.

And the last few people who have repeated the ludicrous notion that "most people" shared their opinion, after being called on it, were definitely trolling.

But, no problem. At this point I am officially out of troll food. [Face_peace]

12. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    now who's name-calling?

13. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I don't think a difference in opinion really says he is a troll, at least he put the effort in to explain why he feels the way he does.

14. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    Apparently you're not able to read correctly. Family Guy and South Park are popular shows. Why is anything popular? Especially comedy? Becasue there's truth in them that people can relate to if "George Lucas is raping Star Wars and Indy" wasn't relatable...then it wouldn't be funny enough to warrent an entire episode about it (two in South Parks case). The shows themselves don't represent the average American but the beliefs they spout DO. Example, Clone Wars: 1-2 million viewers a week for new episodes. South Park: About the same 1-3 million Family Guy 5.5 to 12 MILLION (impressive when other shows are pullign less). And if we throw in recordings and people who wait to download I'm sure numbers for all will rise. Right now the only Star Wars episode thats on the itunes top 100 is the newest one at #25. While old family guy episodes are scattered throughout the top 100

In fact the episode where George and Speilburg rape Indy was South Parks most watched premire since 99.

So: Family Guy and South park have good numbers in ratings and itunes. Tweens I watch at the YMCA quote them. Workers watch them. So MOST PEOPLE WATCH THESE SHOWS. That's one so I am "most people" and indeed obviously "most people" watch Family Guy. So if most people watched these shows and laughed at anti-Lucas jokes, Then most people agree with me
    Now we'll throw in You Tube. The videos that showcase Lucas's crappy enchanments to the OT have hmmm. one video has...2 million views.anddd..10k DISLIKES waayy over the mere 1k like. Others have less view but all have way more dislikes than likes. and comment denouncing Lucas...so...again "most people" agree with me.
    Now..I'll run a Google search for all articles and blogs regarding George retiring hmmm "give it to JJ Abrams" "THANK U GOD!" why...they all seem to share a theme at least five "YES HE'S GONE" for every "it's his you all are just whiny fanss keep making Star Wars George" Yahoo comments, comicvine, other fourms..... so again most people agree with me.
    Let take a look at the Star Wars facebook page...ooooo again just like on Yahoo and other sites...most people are rejoicing (side note Lucas has only 40k fans lmao)
    Even better some of the authors and article are cracking jokes about him "not being able to ruin star wars"
    and finally Lucas himself said that the fan outlash is why he won't make anymore Star Wars. If my opinion was sooo small and unshared by most people? Why would he cave in? Cause were the most vocal. KKK memebers and Tea party members are vocal too I dont see their membership increasing. Could it be that...we're right?

Bottom line thanks to pop culture and Lucas's own shortcoming/loss of directing ability. It is the belief of MOST PEOPLE that he is a director that lost his touch and thank god he FINALLY went.

Now to cement the fact that George is over as a director. Let's see what Red Tails did shall we? Hmm.....oh snap A mere 6 million in take yesterday with a projection of 16mil opening weekend. "Underworld" kicked it's ass. WOW...underworld....

15. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    the reason why Southpark and Family guy are popular as you say is their ability to shock.

and you don't think two episodes bashing Lucas is not a bit odd/obsessive/creepy and desperate?

can't they get new material to work with?

16. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    True and now everyone's starting to try and outshock each other and as a result people are desenitized and anything that's old school is seen as boring (again a part in the overall cultural forces that led to the average person thinking Lucas isnt that good a filmmaker/should turn Star Wars over to more "edgy" people).

A bit obsessive. Yes. But it was one of their most popular episodes so obviously people are coming in for the message and there apparently was enough material given because of the Crystal Skull that people would respond. people weere angry with it so they jumped for the easy laughs

Well they did. lol two episodes out of over 100 isn't that bad

17. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    still two too many,

obviously people are coming in for the message

and not cheap laughs?

18. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    oh, tut-tut. these are expensive laughs. do you have any idea how much money ol' uncle george spent on these movies!?!?!?

19. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    not following you

20. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Personally, I think that Lucas went a little too far with the re-edits, but calling him a total loser is really uncalled for. Sure he hung too long, but the same can be said for quite a few pop culture icons. It goes with the territory if you create something like that; no matter what you do, you always feel like something could be better.

And besides, the first Star Wars came out in 1977. If you've been doing something for over fourty years that you love doing, it's hard to step away from it.

21. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    [image=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a93/axlestarweilder/images2.jpg]

22. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    nope, still not following [face_monkey]

23. Dynoblaze

Jan 16, 2010
    Well, South Park puts out previews before each new episode. And the preview for this episode was one of the raping scenes. So if "George and Speilburg have raped Indiana Jones" wasn't funny to a lot of people they would not have tuned in.

24. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    a lot of people watch car crashes while crawling past in their car,

I'm sure only the idiots find that funny

25. Axle-Starweilder

Jan 6, 2005
    pretty sure southpark and family guy are a lot more well-organized and generally thought out than car crashes. and again with the name calling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.