main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Get off Lucas' back!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DarthWolfie, Jul 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "You are the first and only person I've ever known to groan about this scene. I'm sure there are others like you, just as I'm sure they are the extremely small numbered, yet very opinionated and vocal minority."

wait. you are actually saying that i am the first and only person you have ever known to groan and complain about greedo shooting first? you do live on the planet earth don't you? extremely small numbered yet vocal?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i think there are probably at least 2 or 3 threads on this forum with plenty of people still groaning about that scene. link and link but please continue convincing yourself it isnt so.

"I sure as hell would rather be one of those going home happy from seeing AOTC rather than whiny and upset."

yes and i sure as hell would rather be happy with AOTC too. unfortunatley it did not have that effect on me and many other fans. why else would i be complaining?

2. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I never forgot who I am, I am trying to let you guys know that alot of you strike me as ungrateful, spoiled, selfish, and thoughtlessly dismissive. You must be hallucinating claims that I am some kind of psychologist, cause I never tried to infer that I was.

Well, if your opinion as a VIDEO GAME CONSULTANT meant anything to us, I guess it would hurt. What's the best comparison you can make? Bashers are like King Koopa in Mario?

You do have the right to walk out and get your money back from the theater. If you didn't do that, and instead went to see it a bunch of times, then that's your problem, nobody elses.

Once again the logic escapes you or you choose to be BLIND. Just like having a bad meal, you ARE allowed to complain. We pay for the viewing of a film. WE PAY. Hence, we are entitled to complain when we don't get what we paid for. We just choose to do it here.

I thought we were talking about films, I never said anything about a steak.

I forgot that you get confused by the concept of an analogy.

The logic is certianly lost on you.

What logic? That when people don't enjoy a film, it must be their attitude not the film itself? I suppose when I object to murder, it is because I don't approach it with the ight attitude. (another analogy. sorry if you don't "get it")

Personally, I think the very idea is pretty repulsive. Far above and beyond the scope of a poop or fart joke. But this just goes to show how far you have really blown these elements in TPM out of proportion with reality.

Once again it is TESTING your warped logic and applying it to another situation. You see, we carry the logic over to another argument to see how it functions. Here we have proven that some things can be funny to some (cat burning and poop jokes) and not funny to others. But once again, you will avoid seeing the truth and hold your claim that WE are to blame for not liking the film.

I am sorry, but comparing fart and poop jokes to burning cats is sick enough that I will do everything in my power to not remember it.

How about this then. Someone finds it funny to flash his backside at a group of old ladies. He and his mates my laugh and laugh but others may find it stupid. Are those in the latter category to blame for not laughing? Or is it the lads who think childish humour is hilarious?

My devotion is done with my eyes wide open, and I would love the opportunity to hear what Lucas thinks of people who strive to understand what he is doing compared to people who go out of their way to misunderstand him. I know he has said he doesn't care about the demographic who didn't like Jar-Jar.

I'd like to see what he would say to you after you claim the films are all near perfection. "One of THOSE obsessive fans eh? Get a life!"

I would probably be offended if he compared laughing at burning cats to laughing at fart and poop jokes.

Can't wait to see your reaction to the burning cat scene in Ep III then. :p

Would you feel better if I told you your perception that I don't enjoy the classic trilogy as much as you do were highly exaggerated?

No?

Ah who really cares about how you feel anyway? Because you don't seem to care about anyone other than yourself, you get enough coverage in my opinion, and don't need any sympathy from me.

I don't care about anyone but myself? Gosh you are a joke Go-Mer. Go back to helping people get through Mario Bros or something.

3. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    I see that you spent an awful lot of time beating up on Go-Mer, how about taking a shot at me? Here's my post Mr. Low-blow:

That's because we all love the Classic Trilogy more than you. We never fell asleep during the Dagobah bits nor did we coach ourselves to enjoy the original SW like yourself.

Who exactly is WE? Do not lump me or other people into your skewed perception. I was there in the theater first run for ALL of the OT. I didn't fall asleep during Dagobah. I needed no coaching. I also didn't need to take the large hair across my butt off when I went to see TPM and AOTC. I had fun every time. I left the microscope and neurosis of a troubled childhood at home. did you?

It's ok, you are still learning but you will never have that experience of spontaneous joy that we had. You need to use a lot of reasoning to experience this emotion. I pity you.

Sounds an awful lot like you need to use WAY too much reasoning to do anything without exaggerating it. Coincidentally, I don't recall any "spontaneous joy". I remember being a kid and I saw the coolest movie ever, and asked for the toys for Christmas and birthdays and spoke like Yoda (much to my parents dismay) for a good 6 months. None of it was "spontaneous". It's not like I woke up one day months after seeing ANH and started to run around and clap for joy for no apparent reason.

I was a kid, I had no idea what an emotion was, nor did I recognize or care about them. I liked the movie because it had spaceships and aliens and lightsabers and laserguns, not joy. I think you need to end your own self-pity party before you begin to hate everything new that comes along.

And by the way, what the hell does Go-Mer's occupation have to do with his opinion of AOTC? And what do you do for a living big-man? Sounds like Go-Mer's got a pretty fun job. Are you jealous, is that why you keep bringing it up? How many times a day do you say "Would you like fries with that?"

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    This topic has degenerated into a classic basher/gusher flame war.

The bottom line is, Lucas is making the movies the way he wants. If you don't like it, well, tough. But you may as well get off the dude's case because all your bitching and moaning isn't going to change the Star Wars saga one bit. After all, you basher's complained for years about the Ewoks in Return Of The Jedi, yet they're still there. Fat load of good all your griping did, eh? There's a lesson in there some where.

5. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    we got less jar-jar when we complained about him. george originally said there would be even more of him in episode II, then after he realized that he was one of the only people who thought jar-jar was a good idea he cut him way down.

nice work complainers!

6. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    george originally said there would be even more of him in episode II,

PPOR

7. newbie4000

newbie4000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 10, 2001
    I find it a amusing that people who cry that we (as in those who criticize) should get off Lucas's back, turn around and flame spiderman for being a fluke at the box office, or call Peter Jackson a hack etc......

Unless of course Lucas is the exception..

Anywho.. I actually enjoyed TPM better than AOTC despite hating Jake Loyd and Jar jar.

I don't know why exactly.. but I simply do.

P.S I enjoyed FOTR, but I think it would have been a better movie experience at home. 3 hours in a 5 dollar movie chair isn't very comfortable.

P.P.S I saw AOTC twice and each time a family and their kids sat behind me. For the love of god who takes their kids to a 9:50 show. They kept talking, and making noises, they even started chanting yoda... Anyway enough of my ranting..

8. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Occasionally criticizing Spiderman or Peter Jackson's fast and loose interpretation of Tolkien's masterpiece is one thing. Bitching for three years straight about the same movie franchise is a bit over board. Yes, people really do need to get off Lucas' back.

9. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

Aug 5, 2002
    DrEvanzan, where did you hear that load of BS?

And how do you think the millions of kids who loved Jar Jar in TPM feel about what you just said? Maybe they wanted more Jar Jar, but noooo, this is DrEvazan's AOTC, I guess their opinion isn't valid either, right? But aren't your feelings about the OT rooted in you seeing them as a kid?

10. newbie4000

Nov 10, 2001

uh oh there it is folks, it looks like Lucas is the exception. Bash any other Director, but you can't touch George Lucas

11. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    We got him to cut down JarJar,maybe we can get him to make episode 3 great. -Hey Iwasjustband,if those brats want to see JarJar they can watch TPM.

12. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

Aug 5, 2002
    YOU didn't get him to do anything. Rick McCallum might have, dropping F-Bombs every 5 minutes, but not you.

13. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    werent you just banned?

14. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    That's not what I'm saying, newbie (appropriate name, by the way). What I'm saying is that it's one thing to occasionally criticize Lucas (or Peter Jackson or Sam Rami). It's something entirely different to spend three solid years on a message board telling the world how much you hate Star Wars and George Lucas.

I mean, I was a bit underwhelmed by The Fellowship Of The Ring, but I haven't spent the past year on Ring fan sites bitching about what a terrible job Jackson did. (And for the record, I don't think he did a terrible job, I just feel that given the strength and depth of the source material, he could have made a much better film.)

So if you don't like Star Wars, good for you, but get off Lucas' back! While you're at, get off this fan site!

15. Lurking_Llama

Lurking_Llama Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2001
  16. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

Aug 5, 2002
    Hoping I go away? Got no valid reply? this is where your negative posts gets you, frustrated enough to start flaming people and making outlandish claims until they stump you and you've got nothing to say.

Touche'

17. vapors128

vapors128 Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2002
    If he wants to do one final version then fine...just so long as he doesnt screw it up like he and Spielberg did to Raiders of the Lost ark on South Park.

18. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    You know why we "bitch"? Its because we CARE about STAR WARS. We care enough to not sit back and settle for mediocrity!

19. newbie4000

Nov 10, 2001
    3 years?? I believe that honour is reserved for the select few who were here when Theforce.net went on-line (and they were probably posting in newgroups before that).

The majority, like yourself joined the board a few days before or after the movie (Aotc) and will probably leave in a few months. I myself come back every now and then (I mostly stick to metal music boards).

So lets just pick up that three year argrument

*Bends down to pick it up*

And throw it out the window

P.S Kudos on zinging me on my username

20. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

Aug 5, 2002
    You know why we "bitch"? Its because we CARE about STAR WARS. We care enough to not sit back and settle for mediocrity!

How many times did you have to say that to yourself to convince yourself it was true?

The only thing that's mediocre about the PT movies is that long time fans let themselves get caught up in media hype and nostalgia and jumped on the "I was disappointed because of my own inflated expectations, so I'll blame it on the movie or the man." bandwagon.

21. newbie4000

Nov 10, 2001

The only thing that's mediocre about the PT movies is that long time fans let themselves get caught up in media hype and nostalgia and jumped on the "I was disappointed because of my own inflated expectations, so I'll blame it on the movie or the man." bandwagon. "

Uh oh, looks like someone is guilty of making generalizations as well.

22. VladTheImpaler

VladTheImpaler Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    >>>You know why we "bitch"? Its because we CARE about STAR WARS. We care enough to not sit back and settle for mediocrity!<<<

Yes. You care about Star Wars, so you spend years on end annoying other fans on the internet. How very noble of you.

23. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

Aug 5, 2002
    A lot of people got a rude awakening when they saw TPM, with all it's fart jokes, etc. and they realized that the whole saga is really just for kids. This genuinely upset a lot of people. They were expecting "Citizen Kane" and got, well, "Star Wars". What a bummer! Oh you mean these movies didn't have a higher meaning or purpose and I've been fooling myself all these years? Hence you get some of the biased, outlandish remarks about these movies.

The previous was a generalization and is intended for mature audiences and may not be fair or suitable for jaded, grumpy bashers, viewer discretion is advised.

24. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I-WAS-JUST-BANNED

Who exactly is WE? Do not lump me or other people into your skewed perception. I was there in the theater first run for ALL of the OT. I didn't fall asleep during Dagobah. I needed no coaching. I also didn't need to take the large hair across my butt off when I went to see TPM and AOTC. I had fun every time. I left the microscope and neurosis of a troubled childhood at home. did you?

"We" are the people who never had to coach ourselves to like the Original Trilogy. Go-Mer recently told me that he always found the Dagobah bits boring and parts in ANH. I was talking about him compared to the rest of the fan population that did not need to do this. If you have this problem then it is news to me. But I have not accused you of any such things. I don't even know you newbie.

Sounds an awful lot like you need to use WAY too much reasoning to do anything without exaggerating it.

I need to reason to stop exaggerating? That is officially the most pointless drivel I have yet to hear on these boards.\

Coincidentally, I don't recall any "spontaneous joy". I remember being a kid and I saw the coolest movie ever, and asked for the toys for Christmas and birthdays and spoke like Yoda (much to my parents dismay) for a good 6 months. None of it was "spontaneous". It's not like I woke up one day months after seeing ANH and started to run around and clap for joy for no apparent reason.

Spontaneous joy as opposed to talking yourself into feeling it - like you enjoying the coolest movie ever and NOT needing to coach yourself to like it. I felt that way too about the OT.

I was a kid, I had no idea what an emotion was, nor did I recognize or care about them. I liked the movie because it had spaceships and aliens and lightsabers and laserguns, not joy. I think you need to end your own self-pity party before you begin to hate everything new that comes along.

Me too. But I don't hate everything that comes along. I actually really liked AOTC. But I don't think anyone should be attacked for expressing a negative opinion about a film.

And by the way, what the hell does Go-Mer's occupation have to do with his opinion of AOTC? And what do you do for a living big-man? Sounds like Go-Mer's got a pretty fun job. Are you jealous, is that why you keep bringing it up? How many times a day do you say "Would you like fries with that?"

I bring it up because he has a history of playing armchair Psychologist. I have known him for two years now (yikes). I was merely saying he is not a Psychologist but a Video Game Consultant.

As for me? I am a student still. I completed an Arts degree and Film Course and now studying Psychology actually. I am very happy for Go-Mer to be a 30 year old video game consultant. I hope I can be just as successful as him.

25. newbie4000

Nov 10, 2001
    "Who exactly is WE? Do not lump me or other people into your skewed perception. I was there in the theater first run for ALL of the OT......."

Practice what you preach my friend.

P.S smile, tomorrow is Friday!!

NP- Children of Bodom - Downfall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.