main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Good Grief, Obi-Wan!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jennifer, Apr 21, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer

Jennifer Jedi Youngling

Aug 23, 1999
    Mike did a pretty good job of writing in SW, coming from the fantasy background and all, but I wonder how Terry Brooks will do writing TPM... I've read some of his fantasy, and judging by that, he should do well. Wonder if Del Rey will consider him to write any NJO novels......

2. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Rumor is, the suits were so impressed with RA Salvatore's novel that he is in contention for the Episode 2 novelization. He is most decidedly fantasy.

3. JediLady

JediLady Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 1999
    Also Alan Dean Foster, who wrote the original Star Wars novelisation (before it was ANH) is a good fantasy writer.

Since Star Wars has probably more in common with fantasy than 'hard' sci-fi, I see no reaosnwhy a good fantasy writer shouldn't write a good SW book.

4. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Add troy Denning to the list, i've read several of his fantasy novels as well.

5. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    I just picked up Stackpole's Once A Hero...I need to finish the first book of Tad Williams's Otherworld series before I get to it, though. I'm certainly looking forward to it!

6. Mitth'raw'nuruodo

Mitth'raw'nuruodo Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 1999
    Once a Hero is a great book. I recommend reading it.

7. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Is Talion: Revenant (sp?) the sequel to Once A Hero? I've never seen it, but if it's part of a series or something I'd like to pick it up.

8. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    no, it's not... but it's good, probably even better anyway. it is very jedi-esque... in fact, you could cal the Jedi in TPM Talion-esque

9. Lt CaSS SHD

Lt CaSS SHD Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 1999
    I read Talion: The Revenant while waiting for SoA to come out in Scotland. What a great read... I have a coupla other Stackpole fantasy books which I will read later on.

I was a bit dubious about fantasy writers crossing to sci-fi but I think the EU authors who have crossed so far have done a good job. Let's hope they can keep it up.

Lt CaSS/xxx

10. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    If only a great Tolkien-style (as if J.R.R. Tolkien's work can be duplicated) writer comes along.... *sigh*

11. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    If only a great Tolkien-style (as if J.R.R. Tolkien's work can be duplicated) writer comes along.... *sigh*

12. Koobis 'Target' Nu

Koobis 'Target' Nu Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 1999
    We can only hope Howlrunner. We can only hope.

13. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I just finished Lord of the Rings last night, and while I love Tolkien, his style would be wrong for the EU.

14. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    True. The only SW thing that I could see him writing is some sort of guidebook, like a book with a title like "The Jedi Holocron". Then again, the odds that Tolkien would even agree to write SW are approximately 3,720 to one. Particularly when you take into account that according to everything I've seen, he's been dead for years.

I'm reading Talion:Revenant right now. It was actually written before Once a Hero, but published later, suggesting that Stackpole has always primarily been a fantasy writer. It's about a Jedi-like group, the Talion Justices, who protect... you guessed it, justice . Very good book, possibly the best I've read.

15. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I read Talion: Revenant this summer. I agree that it's a very good book. It's actually the first novel Stackpole wrote, although it's far from the first published. I also noticed the similarities between Jedi and Talions. I've read Once a Hero too, and it was very good as well. So has anyone here read any of his other fantasy books besides those two? I'm wondering if they switch back and forth between stories like T:R and OaH. It's an interesting way to write a book. He also seems to like using first-person POV.

16. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    Glad you agree, Dev. I'm almot inclined to believe Lucas ripped off Stackpole...
    there's a Talion short story posted at http://www.stormwolf.comMike's Homepage .

17. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I've read all of his fantasy novels, and all are um... fantastic. Yeah, he tells a lot from first person POV. I like it a lot, and can hardly write any otherway, myself.

18. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    I've also read A Hero Born and An Enemy Reborn, both part of the Chaos Realms series. The former was pretty good, though not as good as some of Stackpole's other books. The latter was based on a story by another author, and was nowhere near as good as Stackpole's other stuff. His best books are the ones in first person POV, which I hope they'll let him use in the Dark Tide SW duo, as well as his fantasy trilogy coming out next year. A new Borders just opened in my neighborhood, which means I've got another source for books. The problem is that unless it's part of a big series or by someone like a #1 bestselling author, they only have one copy of each book, and bookstores have a habit of not re-ordering sold out stuff unless you ask them specifically to, and my local library never has the best books. For example, they didn't get the TPM novel until about two months after it hit #1 on the bestseller list. Okay, I'm done.

[This message has been edited by Dev Sibwarra (edited 08-31-1999).]

19. Jeremyguy

Sep 11, 1998
    Wow--looks like I'll have to track down Talion: Revenant soon...in the meantime, I'm getting into Williams's City of Golden Shadow (Otherworld: Book One).

20. Tasty Ewok

Tasty Ewok Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 1999
    All I know is that R.A.Salvatore, the author of <I>Vector Prime</I>, is primarily a fantasy author. His <I>Dark Elf</I> Trilogy is one of the best fantasy stories I've ever read. I have faith that he'll pull through.

21. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    I just bought Sine of the World today. It's primarily a Wulfgar novel, but Drizzt's journal entries still split the chapters.

22. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 1999
    It sounds as though a lot of you are surprised that fantasy writers have done well in the SW universe. The thing you need to remember is that SW is as much fantasy and mythological as it is sci-fi. Look at all the parallels in SW to fantasy/myth:

1. Jedi Knights with lightsabers
    2. The Force (Religion)
    3. Decline and fall of the Republic (Roman Empire)
    4. Battles against creatures instead of just enemies: dianogas, wampas, asteroid worms, rancors, etc. (Greek, Norse, and other Myths)

I could go on, but there's a whole book on the mythological aspect of SW. I think this is why fantasy writers do well. I'm a huge Heinlein fan, but I cringe at the thought of him trying to write a decent SW novel. I don't think he could do it.

Just my 2 cents.

23. Xarus

Xarus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 1999
    I agree, Star Wars is a moder mythology, placed in a sci-fi enviroment. The story is in no way dependant on the technology or enviroment, it would work as well in a medieval setting. Most (but not all) sci-fi stories depend alot on the science part of them, which Star Wars does not. The whole concept is old, it's just the art of George Lucas that makes it different.

Fantasy writers are the best writers for the SW universe, IMO, so let's hope that more of them get signed by Del Rey.

//Xarus

ps Tolkien is the fantasy-master, but his writing has a pace that wouldn't work for SW. The fact that he has sailed over the Great Sea to the West is another problem, of course.

24. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    You don't have to tell us that, Marso. That was one of my main arguments a year ago in this forum and there are many that agree.

25. Opie Wan Cannoli

Opie Wan Cannoli Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 1999
    Tolkien was a technophobe.He lived most of his adult life in an auto-factory town and the pivotal events of his lifetime were the two World Wars. He wouldn't have written SW, even if it could've gotten him published in America 10 years sooner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.