main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Oscar_the_Gungan, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    It's like a manliness ritual. You wouldn't understand.

2. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    I noticed Walgreens is advertising White Castle burgers 2 for $6.00...I don't get it, but there ya go...

3. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    maybe it is 2 boxes for $6. you should go check it our erik

4. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    My stomach is slamdancing all over my intestines at the mere thought...

5. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    I saw that commercial for Harold and Kumar where it lists all the great reviews the film got. Entertainment Wekly even gave it a B+, even though it deserves a freaking A.

6. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Maybe Adam is working for them. He only gave it a B+, the awful man. He sure was laughing hard for giving it such a low rating.

7. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    This thread now has more posts than nearly any thread in the history of this club....only a few (CIII, Fanfilm festival) threads have recieved more posts...

Hmmmmm.....

8. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I know its pretty impressive, let's see if we can get it up to a 100 posts, lol

9. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Here is the review I wrote for the newspaper:

Don?t let the ads fool you, sure Harold and Kumar is from that dude that brought us ?Dude, Where?s My Car!? but dare I say it, this is a silly movie that has some meat to it.
    Harold and Kumar?s simple late night quest to chow down at a White Castle restaurant takes on epic proportions. In a way it?s a lighter version of Easy Rider where the road movie becomes a metaphor for America.
    While they have far less road to cover than Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda, traveling a mere 45 miles across New Jersey rather than cross county, we see a similar cross section
    What makes this film a little different than other silly buddy movies like the ?Bill and Ted? movies is that these two guys are articulate and seem to be like people we have met before in our daily lives.
    Harold, played by John Cho, is a shy Asian investment banker, his roommate, Kumar, Kal Penn, is an Indian college graduate who keeps fouling up his interviews for medical school to irritate his dad.
    In a refreshing move, the film takes characters who may have been relegated to sidekick status in another film and puts them in the foreground.
    Once the duo sees the White Castle commercial on TV, the movie is off and running.
    What ensues is a landscape of strange characters, uncomfortable situations, an escaped cheetah, a roving band extreme sports nuts and a deranged Neil Patrick Harris. They are also faced with stereotypical comments that seem more ridiculous the more they are said. While the film?s depiction of New Jersey is fascinating for its sociological merits, it is a comedy and perhaps the funniest film released this year. It doesn?t take much time for the next random, bizarre and inexplicable situation to roll across the screen.
    The agony, fear, and near misses with disaster hardly seem worthit for those White Castle burgers but to ask oneself that question causes one to miss the point of the whole film.
    As Kumar explains later in the film, their quest isn?t just for a burger, their quest is for the American Dream, an America he describes as a place with a variety of burger joints, with a wide range of ingredients and condiments. A place big enough for the White Castle?s of the East Coast, The In and Out burgers of the West Coast and the Arctic Circles of Idaho and Utah. A place with plenty for all, you just have to go out and fight for it.

10. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    Are you sure that this movie wasn't really about dancing hamburgers, magic cheetahs, and the really hot chick that lives down the hall?

BTW, the reason why I gave it a B+ is that though it is very funny, I felt like I'd seen too many ohter movies like it before.

11. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    Erik,

I liked the review, very cool. I hope you do get to put it in the paper. We need to get together and eat White Castle and get high. (okay, maybe not get high, since none of us do, but at least eat White Castle).

Do you think I can write in Harold and Kumar for president?

12. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I'm afraid we can't write in Harold and Kumar for president yet, cause the law says you have to be 35 to run, but if we could who would be President and who would be vice president?

13. StarWarsGrammy2

StarWarsGrammy2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2003
    Edit: Edited at the request of a club officer, contact jedi5150 for more info - MJF

14. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    I really don't appreciate that last post. The thing that brings us all together is Star Wars, I will give you that. Also, these topics are labeled, and if you think it is "Stupid" then maybe you should just bypass it. I am also sorry that you are calling a movie you haven't even seen "Stupid".

Yes, these boards are for "True Star Wars Fans" and I think we all are. Is it healthy to have one and only one obsession? NO. Until very recently, hardly anyone was using the boards. Many have been on other boards. I am sorry you feel like we are wasting space. What gets me is if this topic bothers you so, why are you even posting in it? You are not forced to, you don't even have to, unless you want to.

Also, when, during a meeting, have you heard any of us talke about "Stupid Junk"? When you get a group of people together, they are not going to enjoy exactly the same stuff. If they do, then something is really wrong. Also, we have not run off any people, as far as I know. Why is it so wrong to have yet a nother bond that ties us together? Variety is the spice of life, is it not?

This is how I look at it. If a topic name sounds "Stupid" to you, or might "Make you run away" then maybe in the future, you should avoid it. No one made you read this topic, that is the thing that is bothering me most. Also, our "Stupid" topics aren't going to take up all the space on the internet, believe it or not. I am sorry that you think expanding your what one likes is such an evil thing to you. That is how your post made me feel.

I for one will not stop making posts about movies I have liked, or even books that some of us might read and want to talk about. This is America and last I checked, I could still make up my own mind about what I wanted to do.

15. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    Judy, I think your post was way out of line. I don't know of anyone who has run away because of me or Adam or Erin. We can't be expected to like the same stuff and I always felt the boards was a good place to come and blow off steam and have some fun, we can't be expected to like the same things but it seems like there are a few members who when others talk about things they aren't into they have a tizzy. I'm going to request you are banned from the boards until you come down. this thread is meant to be fun and it isn't hurting anything.

16. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    This kind of post can get someone banned from this board. This board is not for "flame wars", inflamatory comments, or insults. Please use more discretion when posting. This club is NOT just a costuming club. And there are members who enjoy other things. Although some of us may not agree with their tastes in films, books, etc they are due-paying members of this club and have every right to post what they want, so long as they abide by the rules fanforce has set in place (no profanity, etc), and don't insult others...If they do not wish to costume and choose to spend their money on other activities, that is their right and priveledge...there is no costuming requirement to be a member of this club. How any member of this club chooses to spend their disposable income is their business. We're here to enjoy each other, talk about common interests, etc, not start wars...that will break the club up faster than anything.

I'd like to add that although in ways it does disturb me that this thread now has more posts than I think ANY OTHER thread we've ever had, if that's how club members want to spend their time on this board, so be it. This club is a democracy, and it will go where it's members want.

Please refer to this thread regarding the mission/purpose of this club:

http://boards.theforce.net/Idaho_Falls,_ID/b10055/16652267/

I have requested that the above post by StarWarsGrammy2 be edited by the board moderators to remove the inflamatory comments. On behalf of the IFSWA, I appologize to all.

17. Marvincade

Marvincade Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    Not that I am counting but with the 6 posts that Doug made yes it has become the most cited thread. Higher than the Celebration III post. Kind of ironic? And my post isn't helping either, oops.

18. StarWarsGrammy2

StarWarsGrammy2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2003
    Hey, You deleted me "No Problem!" lol

Enjoy your "Movie & Book Club!"

19. Marvincade

Marvincade Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    I can definitely see all of us enjoying OUR "Book and Movie Club" from this point on. The fewer people that feed on conflict the better.

20. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    It's kinda hard to believe that this thread has been as inflamatory as it has been. Ain't we allowed to goof off any more? For pity's sake, it's just a movie.

And How High was better anyway!!

21. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    I don't know dude, may the next vs. film will be Harold and Kumar vs. Method and Red. Maybe they will meet them in Amsterdam for the sequel

22. Ariadnae1

Apr 15, 2003
    That would be a cool sequel. Who would win though? I did see How High, but I liked Harold and Kumar better.

A book and movie club wouldn't be bad. Both expand your imagination and your vocabulary.

23. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    As long as Redman has access to a supply of Redman Potty Fresh, Harold and Kumar are toast. That stuff's POWERFUL!

24. Oscar_the_Gungan

Jan 1, 2001
    This is making me wonder if maybe Harold will go to work at Wutang Financial.

25. RABIDJAWA

May 20, 2002
    I think Kumar should skip medical school and just write motivational speeches. He nearly convinced me to set out in search of the nearest White Castle. Almost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.