main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Omaha, NE Hello my name is....

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by paperclipx, Jun 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paperclipx

paperclipx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2001
    With all the new faces around, I thought it would be good to introduce ourselves here.
    So borrowing a little from the St. Louis fans, heres the format.

NAME(S):
    AGE/BIRTHDATE:
    LOCATION(S):
    OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY:
    FAMILY/PETS:
    SW FAN SINCE:
    HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION:
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS:
    OTHER OTHER INTERESTS:
    MUSICAL TASTES:
    CHAT ID'S:

2. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    So, Ill go first...

NAME(S): Mark and or paperclipx
    AGE/BIRTHDATE: 28, born June 5, 1973. Though I personally believe I havent aged since I was 10.
    LOCATION(S): Born and raised in Omaha, NE. I did a stint in the Navy so I have lived in Groton, Conn and VA Beach, VA.
    OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: 911 Dispatcher Omaha/Douglas Cnty
    FAMILY/PETS: My 2yo daughter, I think she counts as both sometimes..
    SW FAN SINCE: Well, my earliest movie memory is of Empire. But my earlist SW memory is of opening up the Death Star playset I got for Christmas, so I would have to believe I've been a fan since 77.
    HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Collecting! I'm a huge collector. Mostly action figures, but anything else that catches my eye, books, comics. Im in the process of purchasing stormtrooper armor and joining the 501st.
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Not many actually. I liked Stargate the movie, never watched the series. Starship Troopers, MIB, Aliens. Not a fan of TV series sci-fi, though I did like Space:Above and Beyond, and I used to love the X-Files till it got stupid.
    OTHER INTERESTS: Football, comuter/PS2 games, movies, etc
    MUSICAL TASTES: Late 80's/Early 90's hairbands. The whole Seattle grunge thing killed new music for me. I know its over, but I still havent found much new music I like. I can listen to country too. No rap.
    CHAT IDS: They're all on Yahoo! paperclip_x, callmy911, pcx_x, or bobafettster.

next...

3. UncleOwen1138

UncleOwen1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2001
    NAME(S): Bob
    AGE/BIRTHDATE: 26 - Nov. 11, 1974
    LOCATION(S): Born and raised in Omaha. Lived in North Carolina for about a year and a half to go to film school.
    OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: 1st National Bank, working on starting a small production company with my dad.
    FAMILY/PETS: Wife (Kimberly), daughter (Leia), 2 ferrets (Donovan and Parrish), and a Guinea Pig (Bond)
    SW FAN SINCE: I have always been a fan. Kinda lulled for a while until the Zahn novels came out. Been into it a lot since then.
    HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Masks, collectibles, a few toys. (Basicly what ever my wife lets me buy!)
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Big fan of Dr. Who, Star Trek (sorry), MST3K, V, Knight Rider, Airwolf, Indiana Jones (sorta sci-fi), Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (Books and movie), and L. Ron Hubbard's Mission Earth Dekology.
    OTHER INTERESTS: Film, Nebraska and Beef football, computers, reading.
    MUSICAL TASTES: Not a big music fan. Will listen to almost anything.
    CHAT ID'S: *Yahoo - The Postern *AOL - UncleOwen1138 *ICQ - 75772254

4. craigrr

craigrr Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    NAME(S):Craig Matthew Bush; various other expletives that can't be shared here as it's a family type board.

AGE/BIRTHDATE: 30; dob- 02/21/1971
    LOCATION(S): Omaha, NE
    OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: Scheduler/dispatcher for General Dynamics
    FAMILY/PETS: wife- Jennifer; daughter- Mahala (the secong "A" is long "Muh hay luh"; cat- Gritty
    SW FAN SINCE: May 1977
    HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Reading the books, collecting the toys, writing fan fic (though I haven't gotten very far in that arena yet, playing SW video games
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Aliens & Predator
    OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: Colorado Avalanche hockey; tattoos (2 so far); books; history; music; movies; useless trivia
    MUSICAL TASTES: A littel bit of everything, though right now my interest revolves around punk, ska, rockabilly & 50's rock. I used to be a big hair metal dork, so it's still a guilty pleasure of mine. I am still a huge fan of Iron Maiden. They're one of the few metal bands I still actively follow.
    CHAT ID'S:AOL IM- JediWolf71; Yahoo IM- jedicanislupus

5. That awful vracer

That awful vracer Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2000
    paperclip x, I was positive your first post was going say "Slim Shady"!!!!!!! Anyway, here is my info.

NAME: Seeing as how the statue of limitations isn't up yet, I can't tell you.... For the purposes of this intorduction, you may refer to me as Colin Mockrie.

AGE: 32, in fact today(6/18) is my birthday. It's a miracle I made this far!

LOCATION: I think the fact I'm posting in the Omaha forum is a dead giveaway, but for the purposes of this introduction, we'll say,..... Ralston NE. Hmm..... Maybe I can start a Ralston forum! I can see it now... RALSTONFANFORCE!!!!

OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: I'VE BEEN A PUPPET, A PIRATE, A POET, A PAUPER, A PAWN, AND A KING!!!!!!

FAMILY: I come here to escape them! I don't wanna talk about them. Suffice to say that I don't have any little Vracers....that I know of!!!!

PETS: None now. The closest I come is my sister's dachshund, Gus.

SW FAN SINCE: Since my sister took me to see it in 1977, I was 8. Strangely, I kinda don't remember it so well, but I remember that on the ride home, I shot down many TIE fighters from the back of that '76 Pinto!!

HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: By reading every book, magazine and web site I can find. Apart from that, the soundtracks, videos, and a couple of Boba Fett toys.

OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Battlestar Galactica, Godzilla/Kaiju movies, Anime, Star Trek, and many many more!!!!!

OTHER INTERESTS: You mena that there ARE other interests????????

MUSICAL TATES: Anything from Queen to the Cure, to Abba, to the Beatles, to cheesey 80's and anything that strikes my fancy!!

here's a couple of new catergories:

FAVORITE TV SHOW: Whose line is it anyway? Brit and USA versions.

FAVORITE BEER: Heinekin!!!

6. Dawmer299

Dawmer299 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001

Name: Jeff aka Dawmer

Location 96th and Q (Is that Millard or Ralston?)

Family: got some in a little town called Worms. Yes its in Nebraska. Go ahead, laugh, most people do.

SW fan since: Not sure the year, I just remember I was really little. We went to see Star Wars, so it msut of been between SW and Empire

Obswession: Figures, allthoguht I am really broke right now and can't afford them. I also get into the books

Sci Fi intrests: I dig almost anything Sci-fi, lately it's been X-men.

Musical Tastes: 80's hair bands and Heavy metal. If it has screaming guitar, I like it.

ID's: Right now I'm using my roomates computer so until I get service on my own, I dont have any.

C-ya on the flip side!!!

7. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Good additions there Jeff.

FAV TV SHOW: Really dont have one. I guess Oz.

FAV BEER: Fosters!

8. yatchie

yatchie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2001
    Name: Yatchie (Dan)

Location: Born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pa. Joined the Air Force, that why I'm here now. Now I live on 84th & Center

Occupation/Drudgery: Surgery scheduler @UNMC/Massage Therapist/ Martial Arts Intructor

Family/Pets: No fam/Pets-2 cats Loki & Gaia

SW Fan Since: I was knee high to grasshopper

How Do I indulge my SW obsession: Just simply enjoying the movies. And living a little of the Jedi ways (it's REALLY close to the martial arts that I practice. Especially the usage of "the force or Chi")

Other sci-fi interst: None

Other Other interests: Sports; playing guitar, cooking and prettymuch anything else I can get my hands onto

Musical Tastes: Very diverse, pretty much anything but Country. But I am a big Jimmy Buffet fan.

Chat ID'S:Yahoo-dannyalany or yatch2k

9. paperclipx

Jan 8, 2001
    Ahh a fellow parrothead i see....

10. LuneKell

LuneKell Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    Name: Kate Birkel

Age: As the French say -- I am a woman of a certain age....

Locations: Born the wilds of South Jersey, spent early seven years in the coal country of Western Pennsylvania, moved back to South Jersey, came to Fremont, NE to go to college and pretty much stayed.

Family/pets: Husband, four kids, one grandchild, one German shepherd and one blind cat at home; two cats at the bookstore.

SW fan since 1977. I took a short detour through Star Trek fandom, then returned to the true faith.

How I indulge my SW obsession: Write and read fanfic

Other sf interests: C.J. Cherryh, Tanya Huff, David Weber, Orson Scott Card, Barbara Hambly and lots of other writers.

Other other interests: Mysteries, history, counted stitch embroidery.

Musical tastes: movie soundtracks (real music, not song compilations), 60s pop and folk music, filks.

Chat IDs -- LuneKell on IM

Favorite TV show: none

11. banthagrl

banthagrl Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2001
    NAME: Lisa Schiltz
    AGE: 30 - born 10/13/70 and survived turning 30 on Friday the 13th!
    FAMILY/PETS: pets - Buster the Sith cat
    family - just got engaged! But it'll be a mixed marriage - he's primarily a Trekkie! ;)
    SW FAN SINCE: The beginning - parents wouldn't take me to the movie, but compromised by buying me the storybook. Best way to get a 6-yr-old to become an avid reader!
    SW OBSESSION: Toys, books, music, art
    OTHER SF INTERESTS: Books - esp. Anne McCaffery, Mercedes Lackey, David Weber (Honor Harrington rules!)
    OTHER INTERESTS: Drawing, singing, playing piano
    MUSIC: Hopelessly stuck in the 80's - the Go-Go's comeback made my day. But filk music is my secret vice...
    CHAT ID's: Don't chat much, but everywhere I go I'm usually banthagrl - for some reason it's never taken...

12. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    Ummm, pardon me for possibly sounding ignorant (*gasp* no not you, craigrr) but what, pray tell, is filk music? Is it just folk spelled wrong? It sounds vaguely familiar.

13. craigrr

Jun 8, 1999
    BTW:

Fave Shows: MST3K; Haunted History; Histories Mysteries; Weakest Link; Friends; Letterman; classic Looney Tunes (late 30s to early 60s and especially WWII era cartoons)

Fave Beer: Root (A&W)

14. banthagrl

Mar 21, 2001
    Filk music is generally science fiction/fantasy related lyrics set to traditional folk tunes, or sometimes to original music. Some is pretty good, and some is REALLY BAD - think karaoke at a Star Trek convention! (I drove off a college roommate with filk tapes!)

You really have to hear some to understand - maybe Kate can come up with a better description than I can, since I see it's on her list, too.

15. LuneKell

LuneKell Jedi Youngling

Jan 20, 2001
    Banthagirl: Sounds like you and I have a lot in common besides Star Wars. Yes, Honor Harrington rules, but have you tried Miles Vorkosigan yet? (I forgot to put Lois McMasters Bujold on my list yesterday.) You also might try James White's Sector General series, too. (Forgot him, too.)

Filk: Yes, Criag, it is a misspelling of folk. Legend has it that way, way back in the misty past of true sf fandom (probably back in the 60s during the height of the "straight" folk singing craze), somebody misspelled "folk singing" on a con program, and everyone agreed that the misspelling was a perfect fit for what was happening. Banthagirl is right, too: Filks come in two flavors: New lyrics to other music and new lyrics to new music. Of, course, there are also the parodies of parodies, too. Filk is a very integral part of fandom these days. Most cons have filk singing sessions as part of the official program -- usually very late at night -- or the filkers just sort of claim a corner or hotel room and stage an impromptu filk session.

Kate

16. TheStarKiller

TheStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    NAME(S): Russell Edward Muffitt aka Rusty aka TheStarKiller aka Annikin Starkiller
    AGE/BIRTHDATE: 26 - 2/11/75
    LOCATION(S): Born in Arizona, Raised in Omaha
    OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: Independanbidnaman
    FAMILY/PETS: Dog named Puff who though he has passed on is still with me. Cat named Leia who likes to poop all over the place.
    SW FAN SINCE: Saw the re-release in '78 at the Skyview Drive-In and been here ever since. (Star Wars Fandom...Not at the Skyview Drive-In which is now a golf course.)
    HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Collecting figures, books, magazines, and my main area of collecting...Video. I have every version of Star Wars ever released on VHS, BETA, LaserDisc, CED, etc. except the SE LaserDisc Boxed Set which I am trying to obtain cheap. Have moved into collecting "Making Of" videos, but almost done there, too. (Got outbid today on the "Making of Star Wars and SPFX Empire Strikes Back" CED and I am VERY pissed about that!)
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Pretty much mainly Star Wars, but I do like other sci-fi films.
    OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: FILM, FILM, FILM...and FILM MAKING.
    MUSICAL TASTES: Open to anything except country. It is just mind numbing...makes me go into a trance and crave human blood.
    CHAT ID'S: alphaomegacon on AOLIM, and TheStarKiller on ICQ (#117796625)
    FAV TV SHOW: The Sopranos
    FAV BEER: Bud Light

17. banthagrl

Mar 21, 2001
    Yeah Kate, I discovered the Vorkosigan saga this winter while I had the flu - I read all of them up to Civil Campaign within a month, I just couldn't put them down. Haven't tried Sector General books, though I've heard of them...next trip to the used book store, I guess.
    - Lisa

18. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Guess it's about time ;)

NAME(S): JDell (pronounced Jay-dell) or more commonly as Jade. "Hey You" usually works too...

AGE/BIRTHDATE: Er, seems like I'm the baby of the group. :D I'm 20 and actually I'll be spending my 21st when I'm away for vacation in florida... 08/08/80 (cool eh?)

LOCATION(S): Long story. Basically, born in the Philippines (never been back hmm), moved to a tiny desert island country in the Middle East which is definitely the Tatooine (farthest from the bright center of the universe and extremely costly for a SW fan - had to order everything from the UK or US) of earth, called Bahrain. Spent most of my life there, moved to Portsmouth, England and went to school there for a couple of years, then off to college in the middle of nowhere... uh, a hulking big continent far away from the sea (ahhhhhhhhh) that is Nebraska. Stayed a bit in Wayne (for a month) then moved to Omaha (for a year - lived with my sister) then to Bellevue where I can roll off bed 5 minutes before school starts and make it for 8am class ;)

Doh, that was long. Sorry [face_blush]

OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: College student (ick) Junior, this fall. Well, technically. Computer Info Sys major, Minor in Psychology, and premed. Yes. I'm crazy, and no, I'm not smart ;) Also work part time at the uni library. The inhouse info/comp/tech geek.

FAMILY/PETS: No pets :( My sister lives in Omaha with her husband and daughter whom I babysit quite a lot. I used to spend a lot of time there cos she has the puter with cable. Now I have my own with DSL ;)

SW FAN SINCE: 1991 - My big bro brought Heir to the Empire with him from his college, I started reading it and liked it. My big sister happened to borrow Empire Strikes Back the same evening, we all watched it together - I was hooked. I stopped reading HttE, read my bro's copy of ANH then promptly rented the other 2 films...

HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Book fanatic. I've got most of the novels, a bunch of the reference, some comics etc. etc. Also, I play SW computer games (read: gaming freak) like Jedi Knight (not as often as I used to. But there's a bunch of us from the Games forum that play together once in a while)

OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Anything from Asimov, Arthur C Clarke, Crichton (well, the sci fi that he writes), Douglas Adams (may he rest in peace...), Terry Pratchett (more fantasy tho) and a bunch others which are more on the fantasy side...

OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: computer games, reading a crap load of other books, fiddling with the computer, computer games, learning languages (too bad I'm too much of a dilettante), playing music/noise (piano/keyboards, guitar, and a bunch other), computer games, kung-fu, hiking, and did I mention playing games?

MUSICAL TASTES: I'm an eclectic. I'll listen to anything as long as it's not pure noise. I listen more to classical, pop, instrumental and a capella more than others tho

CHAT ID'S: ICQ - 61058274
    AIM - jskyhiker (rarely on... unless I'm told to)
    yahoo - skyhikerus (i never chat on yahoo tho)

FAVORITE FOOD Pizza, anything with pasta, shwarma.. mmm... lamb chops *sigh* I miss those. And ice cream. And macadamia nut cookies

FAVORITE DRINK Root beer. And since I was legally allowed to drink in england 3 years ago, bailey's irish cream, tia maria, bacardi breezers and pina colada hehehe ;)

FAVORITE TV SHOWS Tom and Jerry, Transformers, :D Sea Quest, Quantum Leap, Dark Angel

Is she gonna stop? Ok, fine. ;)

19. Jade Skyhiker

Jade Skyhiker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    Forgot my pet. He is at home right now. ;)

20. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    [content removed at user's request]

21. klecser

klecser Jedi Youngling

Jun 26, 2001
    NAME(S): Mike Fryda aka klecser
    AGE/BIRTHDATE: 24 (4/19/1977)
    LOCATION(S): current Lincoln (Am I evil for posting here? We don't have an active Fan Force in Lincoln) Born and raised near Milwaukee WI
    OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: UNL Graduate Student-Biology
    FAMILY/PETS: Family back in WI. No pets..unless plants count
    SW FAN SINCE: I remember getting the Dagobah playset. I didn't really become a fan until high school after what the movies mean really sunk in.
    HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Star Wars role-playing - Ask about my soon to be started Jedi campaign at starwarsrpggm@yahoo.com. It'll probably be one weekend night a week at Ground Zero Comic shop in Bellevue. See related post by Dahan RE: SWRPGers wanted
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Trek movies, Next generation, Buffy/Angel
    OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: Movies, women
    MUSICAL TASTES: Billy Joel, 70s/80s rock, 80s pop, classical
    Fave beer: Paulaner Hefeweizen

22. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    NAME(S): Kevin Ski aka TSL
    AGE/BIRTHDATE: 19
    LOCATION(S): A born Californian stuck in Omaha, Nebraska for the time being

I was in Lincoln and tried to start a FanForce there but now that I am 0in Omaha for the time being, longing for the beaches of California again
    OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: college student, napper
    FAMILY/PETS: One cat, his name is pretty much "Hey, stupid cat"
    SW FAN SINCE: 1990, around that time I was introduced by a nurse in the hospital to the original version of ANH
    HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: FanFiction, patrolling the TF.N forums and being a dedicated Refugee
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: not much of anything else 'cept SW
    OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: Music, Models, Cooking, Power Napping, WWII, Computers, Biology, Bioinformatics, Cats
    MUSICAL TASTES: Classical, Alternative, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Pop, Techno, Dance, just about anything
    CHAT ID'S: ICQ: 52565566 (I am always on, it seems like)

23. Dawmer299

Dawmer299 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2001
    Hey guys, Heres some more stuff....

Yahoo: dawmertke299

AOL: dawmer299

msn: dawmer

Laters!! Dawmer

24. NeNoghri

NeNoghri Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2001
    NAME: John Gill (too many aliase-long FBI
    file)
    AGE/BIRTHDATE: 26 (as the song goes old
    enough to know better but
    still to young to care)
    OMAHA!
    FAMILY/PETS: Yes I am the pet of a very bossy
    cat named Smokey
    SWFAN SINCE: Empire Strikes Back first came
    out, been hooked ever since
    INDULGENCE OF OBSESSION: Through collecting
    of the wierder items that don't
    seem like they would contain
    any sentimental value, and going
    to as many cons as I can to make
    a fool out of myself, and no one
    cares, because I am a fan!
    OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: There are other sci-
    fi things out there?
    OTHER OTHER INTERES: Renaissance re-enactment
    MUSICAL TASTES: 80 HAIR BANDS ROCK!!
    CHAT ID'S: Ozzob@aol.com and 62480542 on icq

Sorry it has taken me soo long to say hi to everyone..hopefully I will be able to make a meetting..have fun all

John

25. JediJohnSeever

JediJohnSeever Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2000
    NAME(S): John Thomas Seever aka Compile (Rob Torres knows this)

Nickname(s): Zippy, Retro, Pain in the <beep>

AGE/BIRTHDATE: 24 -- December 07, 1976

LOCATION(S): Saint Joseph Missouri -- More Boring then Uncle Owens

OCCUPATION/DRUDGERY: Sales Clerk in Electronics at Wal Mart store #2994 aslso a College Student at Missouri Western State College (Major: Computer Information Systems, Minor: Technical Communication)

FAMILY/PETS: Fiancee Heather (4 years November 24), 3 Poms (Tom, Jerry, Foxy) 1 Orange Tabby (Kuddles)

SW FAN SINCE: 1984 -- When I first saw RotJ

HOW I INDULGE MY SW OBSESSION: Dressing up in my Jedi Costume for Holloween and the few and very far between costume contests. (Once in a blue moon, ya know what I mean.) Buying SW toys and etc if I have the money.

OTHER SCI-FI INTERESTS: Anything Transformers, Robocop, Some Star Trek, Prop building (Hey, wanna see my Lightsaber?)

OTHER OTHER INTERESTS: Computers, Web Page Design, MUSHing, Fiancee, SW RPG 3rd (If that game is ever ran), Knights of the Dinner Table, Max Steel (Cool CG graphics in the show), DBZ (Nice Anime), Silverhawks and Anyshow from the 1980s, Old cars (Anyone know were I can get a 1949 Merc, 2 or 4 door, engine is optional. I want to restore one, price range: resonable.), WCW (one word: GOLDBERG) and John Wayne.

MUSICAL TASTES: Anything from the 1980s.

CHAT ID'S: What's this for???

E-MAIL: JohnSeever@cs.com

HOME PAGE: http://www16.brinkster.com/johnseever/

FLAWS: Diabetic, Sick and Demented (Late night O-D; Rob Torres knows what I mean.)

QUIRKS: Hard Worker (Heather (Fiancee) says I need to stop and rest), Friendly, Outgoing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.