main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWRPF Archive Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 5.0! "We've got more Insanity than Ysanne Isard has Cleavage

Discussion in 'Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Thok, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Ack! Don't shoot! I'm completely unarmed!

*Sticks hands in the air, accidentally revealing his twin berettas*

Um... I was carrying those for a friend...

2. PTMurphy84

PTMurphy84 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2008
    Watch Desperados recently?

3. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Other then hollow points that expand on impact - which still aren't enough to send you flying back like ten feet -, bullets just pierce through you with easy. It's actually been reported that insurgents in Iraq just aren't afraid of the 5.56x45mm NATOs used in M16s and M4s cause they're just ineffective at times to take down a target as the rounds tend to just go through a target instead of fragmenting and ripping through their internals which is a severe cut in their stopping power. It's one of the main reasons why shotguns like the Auto Assault 12 are being developed because they'll deliver the stopping power that the rifles can't do so well.

4. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    They are, however, terrified (and rightfully so) of the Barrett .50 Calibre Rifle.

5. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
  6. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Well yeah the Barrett will still keep them down with one shot >.>

I like guns [face_skull]

7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    During the Iraq-Iran War, one side's soldiers 'happily' walked into minefields ahead of their tanks because they had been promised there was a place reserved for them in heaven.

Up against that kind of thinking, and obviously no-one ever came back to debunk the promise, no matter what type of weapon you brandish at the people in their own country, I don't think you should rely on their fear.

Didn't we learn anything from the Tarkin-Leia exchange on the Death Star?

Anyway, on guns and blowing people backwards, I loved the Bolters on Hitman: Silent Assassin on the PS2. If I wasn't stealthy enough and the alarm got raised, I always unleashed with those babies!
    :D

8. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Well not rely on fear per-se. You rely on precise application of force, letting the systematic elimination and silencing of their mouthpieces and top leadership bring fear to them. With the loud voices reassuring them everything will be ok when they're dead suddenly silenced, people will learn to fear soon enough.

And I think you mean Ballers, as in AMT Hardballers (in reality a rather crappy sidearm), but you're right, theres something satisfying about whipping both of those suckers out and mashing down the trigger button, then getting that always fun reward of a double snap followed by flying bodies :D

9. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Thus the development of weapons with more stopping power like the AA-12 <.< Fear or no fear, you're still going to go down with a blast from a shotgun, especially from one that can fire twelve gauges in full automatic. And if not one blast, you'll still have 31 more shells to fire if you got the hefty 32-round drum magazine attached to that thing. And depending on what shell you want, you can choose from a regular buckshot, a slug, or a Frag-12 shell to be loaded into the mag [face_skull]

Besides, I don't think they can afford to just waste people away by tossing them into mine fields anymore >.> Other then the occasional suicide bomber, the insurgents can't waste manpower anymore which is why women have been recruited as suicide bombers.

I remember the Bolters/Ballers <.< Was lols.

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    The insurgents (actually, I'd call them nationalists, myself) can keep up the suicide bombings as long as there are volunteers, which they do happen to have readily available. Whereas the US needs trained, prepared men and women to fight, these extremists need only to volunteer. At the rate this conflict is going, volunteers are created each day for whatever reason. Don't delude yourself into thinking that the United States Military can win using conventional tactics; it is nearly impossible to defeat a guerilla force by playing by the rules.

Manpower? I always thought that referred to your workers in general, not just the male section. Women aren't bombers because they need the men, they're bombers for the exact same reasons. They volunteer. They all believe in their cause on a fanatic level. Sowing fear and discord amongst them is extremely difficult, because again, it's a guerilla force. By nature, fear and discord are meant to disorganize them, and by nature, guerilla forces are not organized.

11. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    I wouldn't make it definite that women are doing it cause they're that devoted to their beliefs on such a fanatic level. I'm sure that some do it but religiously, from what I've read so far, there isn't much that specifies what women get out of it as a reward. You hear all the talk about men being rewarded once they go to the promised paradise, but nothing of women. Really, I'd have to go with the talk that women do it simply because of the fear of foreign occupation, and just to protect their men and sons from having to do the same. Not to mention tactics demand that women become the bombers for the insurgents. U.S. troops are cracking down on male bombers and the larger bombs that are usually found in cars and trucks, so women as bombers are partly a product of a tactical necessity. Women can take advantage of hiding the bombs under their robes and not having them found because of the protocols that are easier on women and body-searches that are usually conducted at the guarded checkpoints.

While faith could be part of it, simple fear, protectiveness, or the promise of giving money or help to their families if they blow themselves up are possibilities as well.

12. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Nationalists? Lets call a chicken a chicken shall we? They're terrorists, pure and simple. Yes the US invaded Iraq, yes they are US nationals, but they do not care who they hit as long as there's plenty of people, or rather plenty of people in general that they do not like.
    They are not the American Revolutionary's or even the Viet Cong. They are religious fanatics who die because they are greedy selfish jerk-offs who would rather make every bodies life hell because they would rather see a nation subjugated into their exact line of thinking rather than work towards a common good.

Now, granted the best weapons are needed, but again, it all comes back to precise application of said weaponry. Religion-based terrorist organizations are only effective when they have two things: people with voices and a twisted ideology that says its ok to do terrible things to people, and a supplier that will readily get them the resources needed for their suicide attacks, IEDs etc.

So it works as follows: First you intercept and neutralize all upcoming attacks they are going to execute, long before they even see their objectives. Meanwhile, the same intel organization that got the attacks figured out finds where said clerics/leaders and suppliers are, then they are taken care of.

The process continues until the general populace realizes that they are being protected, and that the more they talk to intelligence, the safer they are. Conversely, the terrorists, their supporters, and associates become more and more fearful the more the noose tightens.

Its a great switch-play. You take the fear away from the people and give it to the terrorists.

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Insurgencies only work because they have no rules, whereas militaries have rules (Rules of war? Seriously?). Ergo, to defeat insurgencies we need to abandon rules. Seeing as this is an unpleasant scenario at best (Full-scale nuclear bombardment, anyone?) I don't think it's feasible to expect victory.

Whatever. In other news its really annoying when there's a math requirement for a course and not everyone has it.

Really, really annoying.

14. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Welcome to college I guess lol

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I guess. All I know is I'm in Physics learning about derivatives while I'm concurrently enrolled in Calculus III (Vector Calculus).

*Sigh*

16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Oh yeah, Ballers; that's them.

PT', I think it is clear that on the issue, we are polar opposites. And no, that does not mean that we are cold.

17. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Physics? That'sscience with all the fun sucked out of it! You don't get to blow things up, prod animals, travel the globe etc. Its all number crunching!

And trust me, as fearsome as the Ballers are in the Hitman series, ive handled an AMT Hardballer in actuality, and it sucks. Sure it grips nice, but it jammed twice on me, plus it feels cheaply made.
    Personally, i discovered that I am a big fan of the H&K USP. Its light enough, shoots a .45 ACP round, has GREAT Ergonomics (yes GLOCK fans, its better than a 17), the only thing that sucks about it is its price.

And thats whats great about America Sith I-5, we can disagree but be civil lol.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Of course they're terrorists; however, simplifying it that much lets us ignore some of the details. They kill indiscriminately. For the most part they're brainwashed sheep that follow any voice as long as it's authoritative. I'm not trying to argue anything but the fact that suicide bombings aren't just going to end because they need people. They have people, they have twisted religious beliefs to their own ends. Your explanation of taking care of the issue works as a theory; putting it into practice reveals the human factor that screws everything up on an irregular basis.

Anyways, I didn't mean to start an argument or debate; I don't think that dismissing the insurgency as "just" terrorists or the problems they present is a healthy attitude.

19. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Terrorism is never a simple issue no matter which way you slice it.

Anywho, whos going to see the new Samuel L Jackson flick?

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    The one where he's racist? I wouldn't mind checking it out. I'm excited for...well, not much, I already caught TT.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm excited about Watchmen. Only 7 Months and 16 days to go! :D

22. PTMurphy84

Aug 12, 2008
    Watchmen should be interesting, hopefully its more like Dark Knight rather than Daredevil...

23. Sarge221

Sep 9, 2006
    Someone drank the rest of my Mountain Dew while I was at class :eek:

I_H Edit: Um, I know the loss of your Mt. Dew is pretty traumatic and all, but phrase is not allowed!

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I don't think I've seen a movie worse than Daredevil.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The problem with mod edits: Now I'm seriously curious as to what Sarge said.

Blast...

Also, Peng, clearly you've never seen Godzilla: All Monsters Attack. *Shudder*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.