main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How did the Empire build up between ANH-ESB?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Osto, Jan 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Ugh... I wish you hadn't asked me that... it is like a knife twisting in my gut...

Um... it's really a hard choice... but I am an EU addict, and so I'd probably have to go with everyone's favorite redhead. I mean, it's really close, but I think Mara just barely squeezes out the victory because she's just slightly better at the whole femme fatale thing, and well, Leia's got an acid tongue, but Mara's would burn a hole through three meters of durasteel. That's just fun.

Still, I would not AT ALL regret being in Han's boots, during his wedding day.

As for "Worst plan for galactic dominance?" Um... they're all equally problematic. I didn't care much for Kueller. The Emperor spiel "or whatever it was" (as Mara would say) just seemed too hokey. Then again, it was a comic, so... <Shrug> Toss-up between Durga and Dalla, I think... ouch... note that KJA has TWO of the four nominees... I'm not implying anything, at least I'm not trying to, but... <Shrug>

Anyways, Dalla... yes, Darksaber bad, but "Ram a Star Destroyer into Coruscant!" probably worse...

2. kresie

kresie Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 1999
    For the fun question, I would choose Harrison Fo- I mean, Han Solo.

LOL, Red-Seven, she probably would. That reminded me of Corran's reaction when he heard of the impending marriage. Still, he'll be living with Mara. Good thing he's a hero...

As for the Worst Villian's Plan's question, I also have to go for the resurrected Emperor. The other ones were annoyances I could avoid by not reading the books, but this one impacted the storyline and the charactor of Luke to the extent that I had to read about them, and acknowledge their existence in the storyline. Resurrect the Emperor? That's worse than KJA's gratuitous use of Death Stars and Death Star prototypes.

3. Fion Grell

Fion Grell Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2000
    Finally! I message icon for pilots! Yeehaw!

Come ON! Leia/Mara isn't really much of a question. Mara of course!
    And for the dumbest villian thing, I'm going to do something dumb myself; I'm going to vote for something I haven't read yet, namely the resurrected emperor thing. The idea is just so plain stupid that it deserves this award.

4. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Luke Skywalker

Cloned Emperor

MTFBWYA,
    Taramidala

5. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Sorry, Leia, but I'd go with Mara any day of the Galactic Standard Week.

Durga the Hutt wins the other won.

-Thanos6

6. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Okay we are back at the ist annual 2000 EU Awards with your host Jaded Skywalker.

And the winner of the Best of the Worst Failed Evil Plans goes to-

The Reserected Emperor!!!!!!!!
    (In my opinion that really was the dumbest plan I ever!)

And as for our "fun" question lets just keep our answers in our hearts and the person you voted for whether it was Mara/Leia or Luke/Han your nomination automatically wins in your point of view. So whoever you voted for they win inside of you.

And now our nest catergory and personally I love this one, there are so many good ones but anyway-

The Best EU Title
    and the nominees are-

Vision of the Future
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye
    Specter of the Past
    Shield of Lies
    Shadow's of the Empire
    I, Jedi

this is a large category since there were some many qualifications for it but do your best to cast your vote for only one.

And well be back with an update on the 2000 EU Awards!

Jaded Skywalker, your 2000 EU Awards host cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Jaded Skywalker (edited 02-26-2000).]

7. Jaded Skywalker

Jaded Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 1999
    Sorry double post

8. Waning Drill

Waning Drill Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 30, 1999
    How did the cloned Emperor win? His plan at least succeeded in driving the Rebels off Coruscant and causing mass destruction, where the others hit rock bottom. Ah well.

Um, I like Vision of the Future, but it kinda loses it's meaning without Spector of the Past. They go hand in hand. That, and the fact it refers to the NR's future fight against the YV (which I don't really care for). Spinter of the Mind's Eye sounds nice, but I still can't figure out what it's talking about. Shield of Lies is cool, but since the "lier" is that twit Akanah, it automatically gets disqualified.

It's either SOTE or I, Jedi. I, Jedi is great but a little too simple, so I have to go with Shadows of the Empire.

9. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Shield of Lies gets a nomination and Heir to the Empire doesn't? This thing is rigged. This category is so broad you'd be better off to delete those, and basically every book nominated.

10. kresie

kresie Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 1999
    I have to vote for I, Jedi for best title. It may be simple, but it does a great job of both sounding cool, and accurately representing the book. After you read it, you understand that the title refers not only to the fact that the book is written in the first person, but that one of the main struggled in the book is Corran acknowledging that Jedi is part of who he is, and incorporating that into himself.

11. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    I will vote for Heir to the Empire.

This is the book that started it all, and the title links directly (and on mulitple levals) with the trilogy. A perfect title in terms of the book and continueing the saga.

"Good Shot, Jansen!"

12. Phoenix928

Phoenix928 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 2, 1999
    Just a suggestion...

As someone mentioned earlier, Vision loses a lot of its ooomph without Specter to back it up.

I know this is supposed to be voting on the best individual title, but it might be a better idea to lump related books together. As in, Thrawn Trilogy, Specter/Vision Duo, Black Fleet Crisis, etc. Otherwise, you kinda end up voting for half, or a third of a story, instead of the full thing... <Shrug> Just a thought.

If I had to pick a half story, though, Vision... bar none. But I'm biased on that... VERY.

13. Fion Grell

Feb 13, 2000
    I think it's very unfair not to nominate the book that caused the most controversy ever (IMO), namely Vector Prime, and have 2 (!) Zahn titles on your list. My vote would go to VP, but, alas, it isn't nominated .

Hmm?SoL is cool, and probably the most mature of all EU (at least, of the stuff that I've read). SotE? No, not really. Haven't read SotME. SotP and VotF are both nice and fun.

Still, of the nominees, I think I, Jedi is the winner, just by general coolness and enjoyableness. I guess it's sort of like the Pulp Fiction of the SW universe; it just moves along and you get lost in the storyline (at least that's what it is for me!).

So, conform to our host's wish that we state our vote very clearly at the beginning or end of our message; my vote goes to: I, Jedi

14. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

-Thanos6,
    OMBB&B and VSoSS

15. Fion Grell

Feb 13, 2000
    I think this should work like at the grammys: there's not only an award for best song, but also for best song by a duo or group.

You probably guessed what I'm getting at, namely an award for best duology or series. My nominees (though nobody cares) would be:

X-Wing (all 9)
    Hand of Thrawn
    Original Thrawn
    NJO
    Han Solo books (all 6)
    Black Fleet Crisis
    Jedi Apprentice (though I haven't read any of the books, feedback seems to be quite positive)

BTW, you're still doing a great job at this, Jaded! Keep it up, and MTFBWY!

16. Storyteller

Storyteller Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2000
    I think I'm going with I,Jedi. I already loved the book and Stackpole. Anyway, the title is my fav because it's so simple and yet so insightful.

17. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    I'll go with Splinter of the Mind's Eye, this is supposed to be best title not best book.

I only have one complaint so far. This is supposed to be the EU yet there has been Nothing to do with any of the comics. For example, the Tales comics could have been added to the best Tales book. If you need help coming up with comics to nominate, I'm sure there are people who will help. I'll volunteer.

18. junio

junio Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    My vote goes to: "Shadows of the Empire". Great title, one of the best ever.

19. Fion Grell

Feb 13, 2000
    Oh, this is supposed to be best title? I vote for I, Jedi anyway. Not only does it show wonderfully that it's the first SW book ever written in 1. person, but also that Corran accepts his mixed jedi/corsec past.

I think I unintentionally copied every second word of that from a previous poster. Thanks !

20. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    You're welcome.

Great minds think alike.

21. Corran_Horn10

Corran_Horn10 Jedi Youngling

Feb 12, 2000
    I'm going to go with I, Jedi. If you ask me, that title just sticks out from the others. It was a great book too!

22. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Heir to the Empire. Multiple meanings.

23. LisaJ

LisaJ Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1999
    "Heir to the Empire" is my choice..So many meanings in one title.

cool.gif

24. kresie

kresie Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 1999
    Up with you!

Tally the results, Jaded Skywalker!

And ignore those guys who voted for Heir to the Empire.

25. Jaina SoIo

Jaina SoIo Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 2000
    Best title in my book goes to I, Jedi! I love that title! I haven't read it yet, but I just LOVE that title!

~Jaina

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.