main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How did Vader knew that Luke is his son?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheRevanchist, Dec 13, 2012.

1. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    In your dreams maybe?

Expanded Universe already answered that. Vader did a research and traveled around the galaxy to find the identity of this pilot. By the time of TESB he knew very well who this rebell pilot was. Because of that he captured Lukes Friends and set a trap for him.

2. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Ok i didn't know that the "how is that possible" is a recent addition . . .
    That just confuses things further lol

The movies work a lot better if you ignore most of that, especially Splinter of the Mind's Eye

In my opinion

Yes he knew his name and what he was doing etc but it's never really made clear in the film that he knew that Luke Skywalker was his son until the Emperor told him, in fact the opposite seems to be the case

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm mostly OK with it, since Vader knows at least that his name is Skywalker before the Emperor mentions who he's related to.

Klingon Padawan likes this.
  4. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    In Splinter in The Mind's eye, Vader knows that Luke is his son long before his hologram conversation with the Emperor.

With the help of his spies, Vader tracked down a rebel pilot, and the rebel told Vader that the last name of the pilot that destroyed the Death Star was Skywalker.

At this point, Vader knew that Luke was his son.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Nope- The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader mentions that. And makes it clear that knowing that the pilot's name is Skywalker, is not enough to have Vader know for certain that the pilot is his son- he needs to know their precise relationship, and sharing the same name is not enough in itself.

This bit of the book is after he's interrogated the pilot, but before his confrontation with Luke on Mimban:

Even while inspecting his nearly completed flagship, the Super Star Destroyer Executor, at the Starship Yards of Fondor, Vader could not get Luke Skywalker out of his mind. He silently chewed on the name, and considered the fact that the boy had been born three years after the death of Shmi Skywalker. To the best of his knowledge, Anakin Skywalker had been his mother's only living blood relative.

Could there have been other Skywalkers from Tatooine? Vader allowed the possibility. After all, it wasn't an entirely uncommon name in the galaxy.

But Anakin and Padme Amidala had been expecting a baby nineteen years ago.

Nineteen standard years.

It's not possible, Vader thought. I killed Padme. The baby died with her.

Not for the first time, he wondered if the Emperor had told him the whole truth about Padme's death. But I remember choking her ... seeing her collapse on Mustafar. I was so angry with her. And yet ...

Luke Skywalker exists.

Vader refused to believe the notorious Rebel's surname was merely a bizarre coincidence. If he had possessed any other name, Vader would not have hesitated to report what he had learned to the Emperor. But for purely selfish reasons, Vader kept the young Rebel's name to himself. To him, Luke Skywalker was more than a mystery to be solved.

He is ... an opportunity. As strong with the Force as he may be, he is an opportunity ... an opportunity for even greater power.

But who is he? Who were his parents? Could he have been Obi-Wan's son? But then why was he named Skywalker and raised by the Lars family? Or was he merely trained by Obi-Wan?

Because Obi-Wan Kenobi, Shmi Skywalker, Owen and Beru Lars, and Padme Amidala were dead, there was only one way Vader could discover the truth. He would have to ask Luke Skywalker himself. All he had to do was find him.

6. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    I meant Vader was at least suspicious that Luke might be his son at that point, but not he wasn't 100% sure.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes. He still managed to be surprised by the Emperor's statement.

Apparently when he told Luke "Search your feelings, you know it to be true" he was recalling the Emperor's use of similar words, and figured if it works with him, it'll work with Luke.

8. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    It's implied that the Emperor found out about it through the Force.

He said, "I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker", and in The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader, Vader was merely suspicious.

Vader got to his conclusion that Luke could possibly be his son the same way a cop solves a crime in a detective case-by putting the facts together. But the Emperor confirmed it through the Force, the same reason that Luke knew Vader wasn't lying.

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Seems reasonable. The Emperor could have somehow had a spy obtain Luke's DNA, and compared it to Vader's (preserved after some of his medical operations)- but that seems a bit too convoluted- The Force probably makes more sense in this context.

10. Klingon Padawan

Mar 5, 2013
    Yeah. Luke didn't ask Vader for a DNA test, he just knew the truth with the Force. "Search your feelings, you know it to be true".

Star Wars is science fantasy, not science fiction; not everything has to be explained to us through science.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When Splinter of the Mind's Eye was written, Vader wasn't Luke's father. He was the guy who killed Luke's father.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    My assumptions are usually correct..

If Skywalker isn't an uncommon name, why haven't we seen any others even in the eu? We have seen at least three unrelated people with the name of Antilles, but no other Skywalkers. It would make since that there are others since we never knew where Shmi was really from, but a book saying that, doesn't make much difference if we don't see the evidence of other Skywalkers. It just sounds like Vader being in denial so Anakin doesn't resurface.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    If Goerge Lucas says Skywalker is a common name . . . it is a common name

first rule of Star Wars

14. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    No **** bud. Skywalkers who are strong in the force are more rare than normal Skywalkers, so Vader is a fool or in denial for not knowing that the kid hanging with Kenobi isn't his son .

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm guessing a mixture of "denial" and "unwilling to make conclusions without proof" play a part.

16. Luke C

Luke C Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2013
    No spamming, please-Darth Boba

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Who needs absolute proof when you have the force to give one insight into the truth. Anyways might as well agree to disagree on this topic, because my mind is made up.

18. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    The fact that Vader shared the same last name? Isn't that quiet obvious.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  19. Master Darla Mid

Master Darla Mid Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2013
    You got this one man! One more though, Darth and The Emperor mentioned a tremor in the force. They felt Luke. Why not Leia? Simple, Luke had meet Obi-Wan and began his training. Leia had no contact with jedi of any kind till just seeing Obi-Wan. She didn't start training. So there, pretty simple when you think about it.

rumsmuggler likes this.