main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

how much do you Vikings know about USA?

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Granola, May 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Nah, normal alpine skiing is much funnier.

And the winters aren't bleak, they are very light and nice.

2. Killkenny-Kenobi

Killkenny-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 9, 2002
    Hmm?? What do we know about USA? Well, we do have McDonald´s, Burger King, Pizza hut here and so on...Sweden is like a mini USA. I have been in U.S too. It is a nice country and in januari next year I will study music at the university in Boston!

3. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Cool! I want to study in Europe :) If not study, at least spend time visiting it.

--Joey

4. Aprentize

Aprentize Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    hmm cool topic... never been to this board before strangely enough. Joey if youre going to sweden i guess you just have to stop by and say hello to all the maniac FF SWEDENers!

And by the way i love the states, ive been there once, in New York, and one word for that experience: wow.

5. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    If you all have a meeting in May of 03 I will definitely stop by. In the mean time I will practice some svenska :p

--Joey

6. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    [han]That can be arranged[/han]

7. JediLynx

JediLynx Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 2, 2000
    That would be great! Anyway, I only have one major issue with the USA right now; why the ***** won't you use SI-units!? It would make life for both you and the rest of the world soooo much easier if you went metric. [face_plain]

8. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    I know it would. The young kids wouldn't mind. Picture telling everyone in Sweden that English is now going to be the only official language. While many people are familiar with English, it would not be very popular I would think.

Plus, for temperature, Farenheit beats Centigrade.

For everything else Metric is the way to go.

--Joey

9. Erk

Erk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Plus, for temperature, Farenheit beats Centigrade

It doesn't. Anyway Kelvin beats both of them.

10. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Nahh. The reason is temperature needs smaller increments.

A one degree or two degree swing in temperature, 18-20-22 is much greater in Centigrade than Farenheit. 22 Farenheit and 18 Farenheit are very similar.

--Joey

11. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    Fahrenheit is just too clumsy system , like every other those old measures. Centigrade is much simpler since it's based on freezing and boiling points of water. If conservative British people can change to SI-system surely Americans could too.

12. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    I would not be concerned about that. If Centigrade measured from 0 to 1000 where 0 was freezing and 1000 was boiling it would not be so bad.

89 degree water temperature in Farenheit is too hot whereas 85 is perfect and 79 is too cold.

I like SI for everything but temperature.

--Joey

13. Karoline

Karoline Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 2001
    To end this argument let's just start using Kelvin. In which case, today's temperature would be about 240 degrees ;)

14. Swedish_Jedi

Swedish_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    TANGADO HAID! HADO I PHILINN!
    [Hold your positions! Fire Arrows!]

Namarïe
    [Farewell]

15. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Karoline: Not to quibble but...Kelvin does not have degrees it would simply be 240K. ;)

Kelvin has the same problem because it is simply centigrade plus 273. You need a smaller unit. It would like making 1 AU the standard measuring distance. How far from Stockholm to Oslo? oh well it is .000000000000002728 AUs!

1 degree Farenheit in water makes a big difference, in centigrade it is like night and day!

--Joey

16. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Well, if you need a more accurate description of the water temperature, there's always decimals... ;)

I like centigrade. It's a lot easier to handle than Fahrenheit. Although, maybe it should be from 0-1000. But then it wouldn't be centigrade anymore, but milligrade... ;)

17. Swedish_Jedi

Swedish_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    you see me and skeing (don't know how it's spelled) don't match..i did a to lite turn and one off the skees losened and flew away...so there i was lying in the snow with only one and seeing the other continue down teh hill....

18. Fenrir

Fenrir Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2002
    The Icelandics? Oh, yeah, those guys.. norweigan runnaways from the 900 A.D. What about them?

Grrrrrrrr.... *bares teeth* Me viking! Me eat you!

Hey, humans are just cell runnaways from 10.000 B.C.

Note that I'm not sure about that 10.000 BC thing, I have always been lousy at history and biology.

I'm Icelandic, BTW.

19. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    I was listening to the song "Alt for Norge" the other day and particularly liked these lyrics:

"Vikingene satte spor, røverfolk som kom fra nord, men vi har endret våre vaner."

:D

I also have heard Europeans talk about Americans being the ultimate flag wavers. From the same song ;)

"for vi er bedre enn de andre."

Hehe :p

--Joey

20. Karoline

Karoline Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 18, 2001
    That song is quite appalling. Don't listen to it. It's a football song, I think, or at least it has become a football song.

21. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Aww but I like it...:p

It was a soccer song, but it there is little in it that deals with the game of soccer. It is more like a fedrelandsang.

--Joey

22. Aprentize

Jan 15, 2002
    unfortunately, and strangly enough, those kinds of songs are basically illegal in sweden. they are classified as rasist songs.

23. Joey7F

Apr 18, 2000
    Hehe, that is wrong. See why it important to have a "Bill of Rights"? :p

There is nothing wrong with being proud of what your country has accomplished.

Though when I hear them say they are proud to be American, I want to say "No, you are lucky to be an American" We are American/Norwegian/Swedish/Finnish/Danish/Icelandic etc because of where we were born. I could have been born in Somalia. I was very lucky (as are you all) to be born where I was.

I should be more thankful than I am. I take it for granted that I will eat tonight, have a bed, and the opportunity to prosper. The 1st world countries are so very fortunate.

--Joey

24. Aprentize

Jan 15, 2002
  25. Swedish_Sith

Swedish_Sith Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I agree! To be born in a "strong" country is like being "blessed" from the first day in your life. I don´t think we all realize how lucky we are until something bad happens. (I´m not gonna say September 11:th, cause I know you´re already thinkin' about it)

Most of the "rich" countries in the world is willing to help the not-so-rich ones, like Somalia, but how much should we help, and how are we going to do it? Perhaps I´m going off topic here, but I think it´s worth talking about. Even though we want to help other countries, other people, we must still contain some of our integrity, or else our own country will shake in it´s very foundations.

Here in Sweden, we help a lot more then some people think. Sweden has become like one of the "safe havens" for people trying to escape war, and besides that, we send a lot of money, crew and technology to representatives in the troubled countries. (SIDA someone?)

The US helps a lot too, but not completely in the same way. Sure, you guys send a lot of money, crew and technology too, but you also aid the troubled countries with military powers. You´ve actually liberated entire countries due to your actions, but the outcome is not always that good. I´m not gonna start naggin' about examples, since I think you´re all aware of 'em.

So here is my question, the reason that I started this discussion: How should we help? Should we focus in aiding the countries with money, crew, technology and educationary equipment, or should we aid them with military powers? Is it good to help a country too much, or will that result in the simple fact that they are not independent, that they actually NEED us to survive?

(and once again, sorry for going off-topic)

// Swedish Sith -- The Chosen One

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.