main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I AM MOVING TO LOS ANGELES

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, May 29, 2011.

1. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I've never been to SD in winter! Leave me alone!:p

2. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    This thread brings back bittersweet memories of SoCal. How come you guys never did anything fun when I was there? It was always during summer vacation or when I was studying abroad. :( And not that I really know SLG or anything, but the only JCCer from Boston moves away just as I move there? I think it's all part of a massive JCC conspiracy to avoid me.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The 20s at night? Miana has clearly lost it.

edit: I took you to Disneyland, you ungrateful frog! :p

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I would love a chance to hang out with you.

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 22[face_frustrated]

5. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    I seem to remember it was a bus... [face_thinking]

Disney was fun, but I never got to go with one of the big JC groups. Also, I was 17 at the time and I don't remember that far back. :p

Tunick, if I ever do return to SoCal for a visit (and I'd like to eventually), I'll gladly meet you and your neckbeard.

6. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    WELL I KNOW YOU.

7. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    I think we talked in the hat once, I just wasn't sure if you remembered me. yay!

So now that we definitely know each other, how are you finding life in LA without a car? That was probably the worst part of my experience there, mostly because USC is in the ghetto so even if I wanted to walk I couldn't go anywhere decent. Also, I didn't make enough friends so I didn't have enough people to drive me places.

I think I would probably enjoy LA more a second time around, knowing what I know now about what places are better to live in and stuff. But I don't miss the smog or the concrete sprawl.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.:D

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 22[face_frustrated]

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How could you not remember? It was the 50th anniversary! We got that awesome Splash Mountain Photo.

I'm wounded.

10. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    lol of course I remember Jello. I was pretending so the omission wouldn't hurt your feelings. I mean, I know you don't have any.

The boy who couldn't cry.

He's a robot!

Michael can cry. He just doesn't want to rust.

Yes, he's like the Steel Man from the Wizard of Oz.

Tin Man?

Is that what he's called?

He knows.

11. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

There's some definite downsides to LA, but overall I really love it here. I miss Boston and how civil/moral it is there sometimes. This is probably because I live in the middle of hollywood, but the general populace here is overly kind but very...primal and immoral. Not that that's a bad thing, it makes life interesting. But I don't need a car for this area so I'm all good... I only have to go to other parts of the city for school stuff, and I just carpool with others for that.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hey, at least there aren't smog alerts anymore.

:p

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Primal and immoral? Do tell.

Not that I disagree with you: you're probably right. I'm just curious if you're referring to muggings or what.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    We here in the Valley are right up there with being immoral. Tons of it, actually, depending on your perspective.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Okay, USC is not in the ghetto!

16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    It goes downhill fast around there in some directions.

17. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Yeah. Sorry Prenn, but as nice as the campus itself is, the surrounding area leaves much to be desired.

18. Terr_Mys

May 19, 2002
    It's not nearly as ghetto as many other parts of LA, to be sure, but it's still not a neighborhood where there's anything really worth walking to, and I would never stray more than a couple blocks from campus at night. The only direction I would feel somewhat comfortable walking after dark is northeast towards downtown along Figueroa.

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Are you kidding me? USC is crazy ghetto. It's not Compton or Echo Park, but it's still crazy shady there.

20. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm going off of Riverside, since it pretty much shares the same weather as LA. Though more Santa Clarita than LA. Hell, Lowie got snow at his place last year.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003

22. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

Not crime....there's just a lot of hedonists here. The type of party people I knew in new england were generally aware of their behavior the next day, the people here just don't stop or think anything is weird about it. Not saying everyone is like that, I'm really thinking it's mostly a hollywood thing.

23. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I mean, yeah, it's not like Santa Monica or anything, but it's not really like any of the 'ghetto's' in LA either. It's kind of middle ground. 10 blocks away, on the other side of the freeway? Sure. Area directly around USC? Nah. I have friends who live there...it's pretty calm/decent compared to the rest of la.

24. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Clearly you lived in better neighborhoods than me.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You lie, Essellgee. I've seen The Departed and The Town.