main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit I don't like the Sith Emperor

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Slowpokeking, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I'm a fan of his Sith Empire but I don't like his character. His setting(1000 years old old evil), his goal and his persona is more like a ops boss as "the enemy of all life" rather than a person and character. And he's a bit too similar to Darth Nihilus. His mind control ability is a bad plot device, too.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't like him or his "empire." He can go back from whence he came.

3. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    I guess Revan and his descendants would agree with you.

Actually I sort of liked the idea of him as a mysterious character in the background, back when you could still speculate that all of the rumors about him might just be disinformation, myths or propaganda... or that he was actually a previously established character like Naga Sadow.

Since the Revan novel, though... not so much. Though if you see him as what Palpatine could have become (only within the Republic) had he survived, I think that makes the whole concept more relevant. Yes, he is more an abstract idea than a fully fleshed-out character... but when you've ruled for so long, with so much power, this might be what you become.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I quite like the concept, but then I've yet to play TOR.

5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    TOR kind of made him slightly interesting. He sought out to bring peace to the Galaxy. By silencing it

JediKnight_Mat likes this.
  6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What he needs is a Trioculus of his own.

It was cool trying to figure him out before reading Revan, though I never truly believed that he was going to be Kressh or Sadow or anyone from that bunch. And the revelations in the novel were intriguing, with the Antichrist/Antibuddha legend he's got around him.

By the way, after reading Revan, I now really want to defeat the guy, so without any spoilers, does anyone know if his fate is in a class quest, an operation or a flashpoint (more to the point: Can I solo it?)

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, Solo did kill a Sith Emperor. . .

8. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    I like the concept of the Emperor, a being who wants to cheat death by becoming immortal at first, everything after. I love that sentence "You discern a fraction of reality. Beyond these stars ... I will spend eternity becoming everything: a farmer, an artist, a simple man. When the last living thing in the universe finally dies, I will enjoy peace and wait for the cycle to begin again." It shows us what Palpatine would have become if he survived, becoming the darkside itself. It remembers me of Evangelion with the merger of all humanity in a single entity, that is very similar to what the Emperor wants to become : he wants to know everything, to experience everything. He wants to become a god. And he is the first Sith to truly become immortal, no matter what Plagueis said.

But as Slowpokeking said, he's not a real character. He has not a true personality. He's the avatar of death, nothing more. He's just a concept, not a true character, that's why I like and dislike him.

I just don't want him to die like a sh...in a flashpoint like Malgus.

We know from Revan (the book) that he's not invincible in his true body despite being 1100 years old. So I don't think his powers increased so much in 300 years. Any powerful Jedi (like the Hero of Typhon, or Revan, or even Satele) who escapes his mind control can kill kim. For the moment, not so much escaped it : Revan, The Hero of Typhon, Tol Braga, Exal Kress (dead), Warren Sedoru, Leeha Narezz, Kira Carsen. But let's face it, only Revan and the Hero of Typhon have the power to kill him, Satele too but I don't know if she would be powerful enough to stop the mind control. That's why I hope that Revan would return to face him : after all, the Sith Emperor is Revan's nemesis.

TreborSabreon and Esg like this.
  9. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If I understand right, I think the Jedi Knight gets to kill one of his avatars, the Jedi Consular kills a person possessed by him, and the Sith Warrior kills an avatar that's gone crazy and needs freeing to take a new body or something like that.

Those are all class quests, so I think either of those can be soloed, but his final death isn't available yet AFAIK.

Darth_SHOT likes this.
  10. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    His lack of personality is Drew K's fault in my opinion

I kind of wish the Book of the Sith did him over malgus

Manisphere and Zorrixor like this.
  11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The counselor just defeats the First Son. He's just the Leader of the Children rather then a voice. The Warrior kills a voice but he goes to another body that gets beaten by the Knight

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well even the Sith Warrior only met his voice for like one quest, other than that he's completely absent.

13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Nihilus wanted to do the same thing for his hunger.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What about the hunger of Darth Baras?

R_Zion and Zorrixor like this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well the Sith I like are cool because they are people who extended their inner darkness to a level, even Palpatine let us feel like a man who extended his darkness over the top rather than some cosmic evil. Not to say Sadow, Kun, Traya, Krayt and many cool TOR Sith. The mind control ability is quite stupid.

I don't like Revan's appearance in TOR, I think his time is over and the story of the Foundry was not well written for him.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He just wanted absolute power over other beings, like Palpatine, not some crazy goal like consume the universe.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I was just saying that Baras is fat. :p

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah I know, he looks totally different than the comic ToP.

Take Palpatine as example, I believe most of the people likes his portrayal in the PT, much better than the portrayal in Dark Empire. He didn't show much super power in the movies, mostly was a evil manipulator with a charming mask. That's the type of Sith I like.

19. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    You don't like him? Well... he doesn't like you either :mad:

Joking :p

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He spends half of the Dark Empire comic playing the "evil manipulator" role- it's only when Old Clone Palpatine dies and Young Clone Palpatine arises, that he seems to give up on that, and get much more brutal and straightforward.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    That's what happens when you walk around with a feedbag 24/7.

Point Given likes this.
  22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Nihilus was doing it for his own self preservation, he was a force of nature. The Sith Emperor wanted to end galactic conflict and become everything at once

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well to other being in the galaxy they are pretty much the same, crazy dude who wants to devour them all.

24. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah but very different motives. One did it enough to survive. The other because of twisted aspirations of godhood

25. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I find his goal very boring, kill all life. It's been done before, why a plot to link his mind with the entire galaxy? Make them all his 'children'. "I shall become all things and all things shall become me".

He's just kind of generic, we know little of his motives, I know that our hope lies in defeating him, not understanding him. But knowing WHY someone is doing something makes them more threatening, mostly.

GrandMasterKatarn and Manisphere like this.