main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV I fear for my personal safety...

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by MoronDude, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    First off, let me state that I am NOT joking. This is 100% real, but I hope I'm just being really paranoid.

About a half hour ago, a man came into the computer lab I'm monitering. He didn't look like a student or a teacher. He looked kinda like a homeless guy, or a guy who isn't very clean. Anyway, he came up to me and asked what the lab hours are. I told him we close at 5:00pm. He pulled up a seat and started talking to me about a wireless internet thing that I knew nothing about. I nodded when he said things like Routers and USB ports... but the rest was gobbledegook.

Anyway, it seemed to me that he was trying to sell me something. I told him I wasn't interested and he just kept talking about how great it is. I finally said that I didn't need it, but my cousin might be interested (Things like this are right up his alley). I asked if he had a card, and he nodded.

He unzips his huge, bulging backpack and starts digging through it. He pulls out a ceramic statue of a Yak. After making a joke about the Yak's visible genitals, he sets it down and starts digging through various folders. I notice he has about 5 different binders full of papers, and he pulls out a couple of drawings, lets just say they are in the genre of satanic erotica, or at least fantasy erotica.

Finally he pulls out a peice of paper. Then he digs through his dirty ski jacket for a pen. He reaches into an inside pocket and produces three Snickers candy bars and puts them on my desk. After some more searching, I ask if he needs a pen, and hand him one off my desk.

He writes down a scribled name, his e-mail address, and a telephone number. He asks me to write my number on another piece of paper, but I tell him the best way to reach me is through my e-mail. I was writing down my e-mail when I realized I might not want this guy to have it, so I wrote down yahoo.com instead.

He gathers his stuff up and asks me to talk to my cousin about the stuff he wants to sell for $400 or $20 (He said both, I have no idea what he was talking about).

Then he's leaving, and I give a sigh of relief. As he gets to the door, he notices the Lost & Found and starts digging around through it. It doesn't look like he took anything, but he comes back and says he'll be back before 5:00pm and asked if I could give him a CD-RW. I told him we don't sell them in labs anymore. He nods and says "see ya later."

Okay, you are probably thinking, "So what? Why did you say you feared for your safety?" I'm not sure, but I got a gut feeling this guy was trouble. I hope he doesn't come back at the end of my shift, but if he does, I have no idea what will transpire. I guess he didn't do anything illegal but I'm just freaked.

Am I totally paranoid or what?

2. Luminara_Jade

Luminara_Jade Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    no youre not paranoid. are you by yourself? could you possibly karate chop him and/or vucan pinch him?

seriously though. i would be kinda freaked out. i would probably leave early.

3. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Usually at the end of the day on Friday, I'll be by myself. Friday is a slow day period, but by 5:00pm there's no one around. Maybe I'll call Johnny Flamehead. I have a piece of paper for him anyway.

4. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    thats a good idea. who knows what else he had in that bag. i would be really creeped out too.

5. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    HOLY CRAP!!! A YAK?

I don't think you're paranoid, gut feelings are usually right. Call security or something if he comes back.

6. cbielich

cbielich Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2002
    First of all NEVER give your email, phone address or anything to anyone you are even remotley afreaid of. Dont even give them a fake one. You tell them to get the H_LL out of your lab or you are going to call security. The fact that he is coming back you should call security and have someone there for the rest of the hours it is open and have them escourt him from the building when he gets there.

Remember "You have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason"

Thats what I would do :)

7. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    Maybe he want you to be the subject for some new pictures he wants to draw.

8. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    or maybe he wants to skin you and wear your skin around like a bath robe with his family jewels tucked in like Buffalo Bob.

9. cbielich

cbielich Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2002
    "It puts the lotion on its skin, or it gets the hose again"

By the way if you were going to give an email you should have given Brad's :)

LOLOLOLOLOL

Just Kidding by the way. I dont think he would like that

10. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    this is me but i think i would have security sitting with you from 4:15 on and then have them take you to your car. this guys sounds awfully unstable to me.

11. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    You should have an escape route planned, in case he comes back and tries to corner you, and pulls a knife or a blunt weapon of some sort, such as the yak.

Be ready to bolt to a safe place with a phone to call security, and be prepared to leave no identifying papers behind you.

Did this guy give you his name? He didn't say it was MrNataliePortman, did he?

12. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    haha! question for 'puter people:

how do you type accent marks for like french and stuff? is there a keyboard viewer thing for finding out which keys to hit somewhere? like on a mac in chooser?

13. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    In the accessories folder there is usually a character map that will show you the special chars for each font.

14. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Why are you changing the subject? Are you in cahoots with MoronDude's stalker?

Start Menu/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map.

15. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Okay, cool. I called Flamehead and he's gonna come around at closing to pick up this paper. He told me if the guy comes back to call Public Safety (Campus Security).

16. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    good! that's creepy!

17. JonnyFlamehead

JonnyFlamehead Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    C you used my real name on the message boards! Now I'll have you kill you all for knowing my deepest darkest secret!!

j/k

=D

18. Luminara_Jade

Feb 5, 2004
    nobody would have known who he was talking about if you hadn't said anything.

now you will have hoards of stalkers too!

yay!

19. JonnyFlamehead

JonnyFlamehead Jedi Youngling star 3

May 30, 2002
    well if one had read all the posts in order it wouldn't be hard to come to that conclusion. But who cares I was kidding...

=D

20. Howard_The_Duck

Howard_The_Duck Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2001
    Yep, I'm a Jonny Flamehead stalker.

*stalks*

21. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Well, here it is, 4:55 and the guy hasn't showed up... now I sound like some melodramatic creep. At least if the guy came back and stabbed me or something than this thread would be creepy, like an omen or something. *shrug* What are ya gonna do?

22. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Adding to the creepy... It's a full moon tonight! :eek:

23. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    hey, better to be safe than sorry. chances are that nothing would happen to you, but if you get a creepy feeling about someone, trust it always. your instincts are your best friend.

24. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    trust your instincts. it helped the caveman.

25. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    There are some deterrents that are legal to carry, and require minimal training, such as OC Spray. If you find yourself in situations where you get creeped out, such as walking to your car or the bus late at night, you may want to consider an option like this. Inexpensive, yet effective, and small enough to always carry in your pocket. Plus some models can have decent ranged attack, as opposed to a melee weapon such as a stun gun. Just beware of the wind and who else is around, as you don't want the spray to hit them or you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.