main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Syra, NY I love anime. You should too. (-Official Social Thread-)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by WebsJedi, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WebsJedi

WebsJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    So you all should like anime and manga. It's good for you and such. So what anime have you all seen/want to see and such? Any favorites?

Here's a few of my own:

-Neon Genesis Evangellion
    -Record of Lodus War (the original)
    -Vampire Hunter D
    -Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
    -Spirited Away
    -Princess Mononoke

I have seen so much I can't even recall half of it....

And remember, this is a social thread so one can get as off topic as one can want :D.

-K

2. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    princess mononoke is one of my favs!!!!

I recently watched Spirited Away and it was quite bizarre. Entertaining, a good movie even, but VERY different. LOL

I recommend both of those movies to everyone...

3. Raef_Wolfe

Raef_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2003
    *cough* You picked this for the title? Oh come on, now I don't even wanna post in the social thread.

No offense to all you japanese anime lovers, but I reeeeeeeeally don't like Manga that much.

And no, I'm not the only one with this opinion; I just spoke up first :)

4. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    I no like anime. Sorry.

*Looks furtively for an excuse to derail*

5. WebsJedi

Aug 26, 2002
    DOn't like it, or haven't watched much of it. There be a difference ;). And yes, I understand if you don't like it. Differnt strokes for diffent folks and all *sagely nod*.

-K

6. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    I've watched enough, thank you. The plots don't excite me, and...umm....well, actually, I DO like anime. Here, watch this:

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail57.html

:D

Note: You'll prolly have to udnerstand the rest of it to get the cartoon, but it's still funny. It's so true of anime, at least a lot of us think so!!!!!!

7. WebsJedi

Aug 26, 2002
    Whoot! Strongbad rules! Must had missed that one though. Quite funny to say the least =). So what anime have you seen? there's some horrible anime out there that turns even my stomach. Too much super-deformed makes me go nuts. Though a good sprinkling does wonders *sagely nod*.

But come on, speed lines rule! And the use of negative space in anime is so great. There doesn't have to be all kinetics in the animtion format imho. Besides, Voltron is anime and I grew up on it *grin*.

-K

8. Karate-Jedi

Karate-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2003
    I did get to see some back in the UK. I think I saw the Tank Squad series and a few others. But I prefer to watch them in Japanese with subtitles than dubbed. Helps me with my Japanese

My fav film of all time (not anime)is "The Seven Samauri" by Akira Kurosawa. Awesome film.

This film was remade by hollywood as "The Magnificent Seven" No where near as good as the original

9. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    Okay, I admit, I liked Voltron. But still... okay, I like a bit, but I don't like most of it.

10. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    I watched some of it when I was like 8. If you're interested in anime talk, go see one of my freinds...she rates the movie Spirited Away like the critics did Titanic.

I've certainly heard of more anime than I've watched, which is a pity...means I'll know what you're talking about ;)

My favorite movie...hmm....dunno. Can't really decide. But it's nothing made recently, to be sure.

11. WebsJedi

Aug 26, 2002
    Yeah, subtitles rule. When they dub it, you -know- you're losing part of the translation somewhere. ANd yes, you pick up bits and pieces of Japanese, which is always good. Nanda yo.....

"The Seven Samauri" by Akira Kurosawa is indeed, one of the best films ever made. Kurosawa has had such a huge impact on cinema, and most folks don't even know it. "The Matrix" and "Reloaded" (and their creators the Wycowski brothers) draw from Kurosawa's work. Well that, Chinese kung-fu movies and, suprise, anime!

-K

Anime, it's infectious isn't it?

12. Padawan_Drogon

Padawan_Drogon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    Despite the title, it appears this thread has done what it should. The discussions are quite animated (excuse the pun). That's what's been missing in this group. We need ongoing conversations to provoke interest and participation then people become true members, rather than just someone who signed up.

Anyways, here's my 2 bits worth. I admit I haven't seen much anime, unless you count the saturday morning cartoons, speed racer, pokemon, etc.. Hopefully that doesn't count. Although the idea doesn't excite me, I have to admit that my brother is heavy into it, to the point where he has had me bid on many anime dolls and stuff over e-bay. Maybe I'll have to set aside my biases and watch one of the ones you guys have recommended sometime.

13. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    NOOOOO!!! Don't give in dad, don't give in! *shakes him around*

Talk to me man, speak sense!!

Lol. I still have a ton of pokemon cards up in my room, that I'll admit :p

14. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    You admit to having pokeman....(Shakes head)

15. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    It's not exactly a high thing on my favorites list :p It used to be an ok show. Now, like everything else on tv, it's not very good at all.

16. WebsJedi

Aug 26, 2002
    If you want some good anime, watch Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network (11pm-2am Monday-Friday). They show some good anime. Though I will say this: Fooly Cooly is a SERIOUS mind trip, Blue Gender is kinda cool, Trigun is funny, and Cowboy Bebop is the BOMB.

But yeah, catch some of the anime movies I've sugested. They really have amazing stories. "Princess Mononoke" is not all super deformed, and it's an environmentalist film. "Spirited Away" isn't super deformed either, and it's a right of passage movie. Both are at the top of their game and "Spirited Away" won best animated film at the Academy Awards. "Neon Genesis Evangelion" is great. It's a series though, so it take a while to get through. Just imagin a Japanese take on Judeo/Christian religion, coupled with mechs (big robots) and the troubles and lives of a group of 14 yr olds trying to save the world from destuction. Great stuff.

And yes, I'm glad to see this has spawed a nice social thread :D.

Oh, Speed Racer and Pokemon are indeed anime. Anime ranges from little kid type shows/movies to things I can't mention on a family board...

-K

17. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    *snicker* I take it you mean hentai?

I've heard waaaay too much about anime during the school year. Man, now I have to hear about it at home.

Sorry, but I remain pretty firm. I'm not into anime. I'm into american idol ;D *Wonders when the next season is*

Pretty soon, with all these reality and make you famous shows, EVERYONE will be on TV :)

18. WebsJedi

Aug 26, 2002
    Noooooo! No more reality tv shows! Well, except Survivor.....

-K

19. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    It was bad enough when Pop Idol was big in the UK..Then they had to make an american version that s#&ked even more. All these american whimps crying and Bi#$*$ing because some English guy said they were c#@p singers.....He was only telling them the truth.

But what realy getsa me is poeple use there mobile phones to send in the votes......hello talk abnout playing into the phone companies so you have to get the latest cell phone....

Sorry it's just that these so called "reality shows" gtet on my wick. Talk about mind rot TV.

OK don't mention "THOSE SHOWS" to Karate-Jedi again PLEASE!!!

20. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    Survivor stunk.

Oh come on Karate, Cowell is half the rason to WATCH the show! It's hilarious to see what he will say next.

Plus, there are some really good singers-better than some of this rap *(&#%*)*)&@_ that's on the radio today.

And they actually wear clothes. That fit. :eek:

21. DarthArjuna

Aug 14, 2002
    To Simon Cowell
    Who folks wanna disembowel
    He opens his mouth
    Always says something fowl
    They're dyin', wow
    Wannabes are cryin' now
    He votes 'em out
    Time to throw in the towel...

Weird Al pwnz joo.

You may notice the time on the post- yes, Sherrill was spared from the huge blackout along the East Coast. I'm to lazy to check to see if most of the power's restored now, it's my bedtime ;)

22. Padawan_Drogon

Padawan_Drogon Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2003
    I like reality TV shows. Especially if my favorite sports team is playing (lol).

23. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Hey - there is nothing wrong with "survivor" the best one they did was the one they did in Australia, after that I didnt watch them....they did suck after that......

As for the power outage we finally got power back on around 10 pm last night. They say we are all expected to have rolling black outs thru out the weekend for up to 2 hrs at a time....woohooo......joy joy!

BTW - there is nothing wrong with pokemon.....I would rather watch pokemon anyday over Hamtaro..... ;)

24. Raef_Wolfe

Jul 12, 2003
    Dude, don't even SAY Hamtaro.....that's an insult to anything animated anywhere.

Besides Spongebob, anyway. That's the biggest insult to cartoons I've ever seen *shiver*

25. Karate-Jedi

Feb 4, 2003
    It looks like the whole eastern seaboard was out apart from us. We had leccy all night. I sat up untill 2;30 watching "Gods and Generals" I can't tell you about it because it would be like this.

God and Generals edit
    Get what I mean. I don't think I liked it at all.

As for SpongeBob....I have never seen it and I'm not going to. :)

Edit: please no swearing on the boards not even astericks sp? as substitutions

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.