main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hawaii IEFF member coming for a visit

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by MommyJedi, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MommyJedi

MommyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    Aloha Oahu FF!!!
    I am a member of the Inland Empire FF and I'm planning a visit to the Islands. I thought I'd pop over here and ask you where's the best place to visit?
    We plan on spending 1 week on Hawaii, 4 days on Kauaii, & 4 days on Oahu. My husbands ohana is from Oahu, but he hasn't been back for 30 years. We have 3 little hapa girls to show "home" to.
    It would be nice to get an insiders opinion to the local best.
    Thanks,
    Minda Toyoshiba

2. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    P.S. We are coming in January 09... I know so far off, but we need the planning time and we need to come when the kids have a break in school...

3. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    I think the answers would depend on what you consider to be fun.

You could go "touristy, touristy" & check out one of the luaus. They are kind of expensive but fun. You could check out the Polynesian Cultural Center, Hanauma Bay (closed on Tuesdays, I believe, for cleaning), Bishop Museum, the Kamehameha Statue, Honolulu Hale, Iolani Palace, Diamond Head crater (there's a hike to the top), Kualoa Ranch (for horseriding - I hear there is a "Lost" location tour - not sure if that is true), etc..

If hiking is your thing, there are a lot of trails that can be a nice day outside.

There's also North Shore if you want to hit the beaches. Sandy Beach, and others. I'm a land lubber so water sports aren't my thing.

Jetskiing, Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park, Sea Life Park, and the list goes on.

There's even a free publication that you can grab in Waikiki called "100 Things to Do On O'ahu". The info magazine is free but at least some of the activities are not.

I hope this helps.

Jay Tee Erricck
    Rebel Legion State Captain, Hawai'i

http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

4. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Hey Jay Tee,
    Thanks for the response!
    I supposes we'll do some tourist stuff, like the historical things, but not any luaus. Every Saturday night at the families house is luau night. The Hawaiian culture is strong in our family. EVERYONE can hula, and does, and lots of the Uncles can play ukeleli & slack key. It keeps us connected to the Islands.
    What I'd really like to know is where the locals go. Best places to grab a bite, best places to snorkle, best local aloha spirit without the tourist.
    Our kids will be 10, 8, & 6 then so no nightlife, so to speak, for us, but good day fun. Hiking is great, not a fan of Lost, sorry, but we are fans of the beautiful countryside. I do want to take them snorkling.
    So any advice would be much appreciated.
    Mahalo Plenty,

Minda

5. NEMES1S

NEMES1S Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 23, 2005
    Hope you have fun and enjoy yourselves here!! :D

6. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    beach is the greatest for kids. also don't forget Pearl Harbor Memorial. There's the submarine Bowfin, and the destroyer, USS Missouri, to visit and walk around.

There's the Zoo and aquariam. surfing and canoeing.

How many days will you be here? Lotz of movies. Great shopping.

7. Hapajedi

Hapajedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    Actually the Missouri is a Battleship, hehe (Historic note) where Japan signed the offical surrender to end WW2

8. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    yes, you're right. but I was thinking about destroyers earlier so it got stuck in the grey matter. I should not have made that mistake. talk about being numb in the brain. 8-}

9. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Thank you for all the responses.

To answer the question of how long we'll be on each island.

The beach will be a must and my lucky kids inheritated their great skin from their Dad so we get nice brown little bodies:)

Thanks again. I'm excited even if it is nearly 8 months away...

Hey, do you have monthly meetings or anything? It would be fun to meet another FF club. Over here we do "exchanges" with other clubs, inviting them to join us for our meeting or an outing.

10. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey Minda! Where on Kauai are you staying?

The only thing I would really suggest for Kauai is take a driving tour. My sis and I got one that lasted most of the day and we saw a lot of cool stuff on the island (and also met like everyone in our driver's family along the way [face_laugh]). The public transportation there is kinda non-existant, so be sure you either have a rental car or that your events pick you up.

Kauai must sees: Waimea Canyon is BEAUTIFUL. Way prettier than the grand canyon.

Pali cliffs are beautiful.

Oh! Go ATVing through Jurassic Park. :p

11. MommyJedi

Aug 22, 2007
    Hey Rachael!

Funny, I have to go to "Hawaii" to talk to a local San Diego girl, lol[face_laugh]

Thanks for the advice. I actually won't know where we are staying until after this week. We are trading in some timeshare weeks to go on this trip. Our appointment is tomorrow. YEAH!

OT: I want to talk to you about your Eurpoe trip! I think it is exciting! Congrats on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.