main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT If It Were Up to You What Would Be Your Ending to ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SkywalkerJedi02, Jul 5, 2013.

1. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    When they have a party at the end and Luke looks back at Anakin and Yoda people have said to put Quai-Gon-Jin in there I would have him there with Padme arms around Anakin like in my avatar, others have said Mace Windu too but I don't know about that.

So What's Yours?

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yub Nub at the party and I'd just have Yoda and Guinness as Kenobi as the ghosts, no Anakin at all.

I would also implement the Endor Holocaust, with the debris of the Death Star devastating the moon's surface shortly after the Rebels leave, killing off the Ewoks.

3. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think the ending is fine as it is....i like the new PT inspired editions but then again im a loyal sagaist

darth_mccartney likes this.
  4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Restore the original ending with Shaw as the Anakin ghost.

5. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I really like your idea on a sentimental level.

From a story-telling perspective, though, I think I might like this the best:

I think it would be best to remove the Anakin ghost so that there is more ambiguity in regards to his fate. A lot of people, I imagine, found it hard to forgive the things he did and felt he wasn't worthy of redemption. Additionally, I think Anakin's goodbye to Luke and Luke burning the Vader suit serves as perfect closure just the way it is.

6. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    No Anakin brought balance.......eventually and by slaying thousands, but i still like the ending

7. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Original theatrical release all the way. No alterations. I saw that 21 years ago and it was epic.

I can't believe now the last official minutes of Jedi have Vader yelling Noooooo, Hayden ghost and *****ing Jar Jar yelling "Wesa Free!". Completely ridiculous.

8. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    As it was in the beginning, isn't now and never again shall be, for ever and ever and until the next tinkering.

Amen

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Mod edit: Not appropriate

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    This. Absolutely.

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've never understood threads like this. If it was left up to me, I wouldn't have made Star Wars (as we know it, at least) in the first place.

I do like PiettsHat's idea, though.

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The Death Star explosion causes a chain reaction that kills everyone in the galaxy.
    The end, damn it!

- Will they die?
    - No. No, no, YOU will die!

/LM

13. Beru'sBlueMilk

Beru'sBlueMilk Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2013
    I still find it hard to swallow that Anakin could return as a force spirit mere hours after he passed even though Obi Wan and Yoda had studied how to return from Qui Gon's spirit over the 19/20 year course of their exile (was Anakin ever in touch with Qui Gon's spirit during his years as Vader? I doubt it but we'll probably never know). I agree with a previous poster who said that the dying Anakin's moving goodbye to his son and his cremation was a perfect ending to Vader's story. You could have had Obi Wan and Yoda look on as the heroes celebrated their victory then fade from sight knowing that the galaxy was finally at peace, pan up to the stars then.. end titles. A simple poignant ending (just get rid of that terrible, out of place Hayden force spirit!!!!)

14. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I read somewhere that George Lucas had intended for the ending of ROTJ to be Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin all surviving. Yoda was to somehow find a way to revive himself through the Force, and either him or Obi-Wan were to assist in aiding Anakin so that he did not get killed at the end of ROTJ.

I like the ROTJ ending the way it is, but this other one would have let everyone live, and so I'd probably choose it over the current one.

15. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    1. The "Noooo!" is debatable. Some, such as I, find it a good change.

2. Lucas always wanted Anakin's ghost to be young, however obviously was unable to do this back then, and had to make do with Shaw. Now that has been corrected.

3. That isn't Jar Jar.

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I wouldn't change a thing.

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Sure he could have done it. Young people didn't exist during the filming of ROTJ?

Maybe you mean he couldn't do it because the audience wouldn't recognize a young person as Anakin, but George has always done things his way. They could have had a young person and just said "that's Anakin". It really wouldn't be difficult to put together. Who's that person Luke is smiling at, standing in Jedi robes next to Ben and Yoda? Oh right, the only other Jedi we've ever heard of. Hell, with the right touches, they could have had Mark Hamill be Anakin's Force ghost, or a relative of Hamill, or something.

-shrugs-

Sarge likes this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Young people did exist, however the 20-something actor who went on to become Anakin in the PT did not.

19. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I got that, but that doesn't mean he wasn't able to do it. He could have put in a young actor, and then replaced him with Hayden later, which he did anyway. Plus you have to consider that Lucas wasn't sure that the PT would ever get made. There's a point about maybe a young person not meshing well, but I'm having a hard time buying that it's what Lucas always wanted. I guess what I'm saying is that if he really wanted it, he could have had it (though perhaps not his way, but then again supposedly Shaw wasn't his way either), which leaves me doubting.

I'm not sure why I'm carrying on. What Lucas always wanted isn't really relevant and doesn't make something any less ridiculous, as Ganger claimed.

I guess it's just because I keep hearing what Lucas really wanted, and it doesn't really make sense with what happened. For example, apparently Lucas really always wanted Han to shoot first, yet Han didn't shoot first when Lucas easily could have made him.

I don't mean to be difficult or anything, just letting my opinions fly.

20. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999

1. Of course it is debatable, that's the point, right?

2. I would love to have evidence on this. If it's from an interview done after the change was made, it would be pointless for obvious reasons.

3. Yeah, it's not him. It's just another gungan that looks, talks and dresses exactly like he did in Episode I. That's way better.

21. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Probably the 1997 edition for me. The new music, expanded locations, and even the re-adding of Wedge all made it feel like a more definitive end to the Saga (well, it did anyways).

I've never had a problem with Anakin's return. It wasn't up to man's judgement to see if the wrongdoings of Vader were worth being redeemed. It was the will of the Force.

22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Anakin's path to redemption was walked via Darth Vader. The older ghost suggests that the Vader years are forgiven, not forgotten. The younger one suggests that it's as though they never happened, which I think weakens the nature of the redemption.

Yanksfan and Sarge like this.
  23. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I still don't understand why GL decided to replace Shaw w/Hayden. By that logic, he could have replaced Guiness with Ewan McGregor (thankfully he didn't) and Yoda with that embarassing puppet from TPM. It looked awkward.

Having PT characters like Qui-Gon and Padme would have been ridiculous. Luke has NO IDEA who they are.

24. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    With the ST coming out, I really think that the OOT ROTJ ending is more appropriate. The OOT ending is more about a micro rebel victory, where they are all celebrating on Endor. The SE ending (which is suppose to be part of a 6 part movie arc now) is about the macro victory and how there is now freedom from the empire across the universe. The bottom line is that the 6 part story is no more and being replaced with a new 9 part story arc.

Now I don't know what the new threat will be in the ST, but the OOT ending will flow better now because it represents a single victory for the rebellion, and a new threat is looming in the upcoming trilogy. That is why the TPM & ANH endings still work, because it is confined to a celebration on Naboo and Yavin, and represents just one victory, but a larger threat still looms (Palpatine in TPM & Vader in ANH).

As for the force ghost scene, the same goes as the OOT ending is more appropriate. The 6 saga of 'Tragedy of Darth Vader' is gone, as the 9 part saga is more about a bigger story of 3 generations of Skywalkers. It never made sense to have Hayden as a ghost before, and now it just isn't needed because the story isn't just about Darth Vader anymore.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    WHY do people post these ideas? What if GL reads this? Think of the children, man!

Alpha-Red, DarthDuckie and Ganger like this.