main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Palpatine's plan went as designed....

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DARTHCARDINUS, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Why would dooku allow Anakin to survive, knowing that palpy's ultimate plan was to turn Anakin over. I don't think that Dooku was left in the dark about Anakin. Basically, dooku had to know at some point that the Palpy would kill him in one form or another

Yoda came in. It's a case of an edit with a scene missing. Originally, Yoda Force shoves to Battle Droids as he enters the hangar. Dooku hears this and closes down his saber, putting it back on his belt.

2. ManoWan

ManoWan Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    Darthangel,

I think at that point Dooku felt he HAD to kill Obi-wan in order to excape. Obi-wan would not let him go.

Remember his first warning:

"my Jedi powers are far greater than yours...now back down"

Didn't want to have to fight or kill Obi-wan, but would if he needed to.

3. patico74

patico74 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    how did he know yoda would save annikan.

4. MasterASH

MasterASH Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    Palps didnt know of Anakin???? He or his master created Anakin.... of course he knows. He arranged everything from letting them escape, hitting the naboo cruiser and directing them to Tattoine so that Qui gon (the only Jedi that would defy the counsell and train the boy) would find Ani and train him.

5. Darth_Sidious_1983

Darth_Sidious_1983 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Interesting analysis - Sids really risked more and more, kinda like der Fuhrer and his scale of invasions (start small, then get revenge, then go aerial on the RAF, then be a "barbarous" mother******).

Oh yeah - and if Dooku did die then, Palps' time in office would be up...

6. millenniumteacher

millenniumteacher Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2005
    Sidious could have in no way known about Anakin Skywalker in The Phantom Menace

How could he have not known about Anakin? He created Anakin.

7. SnowmaN2001

SnowmaN2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    It didn't happen like that. maul died and Dooku became palp's new apprentice. Then Palps plans went in motion, the war started. In ROTS, Dooku dies in the beginning, and then Anakin turned shortly after, becomming Palp's new apprentice.
    Then He became Darth Vader!

Live with it, it was great

8. wee_jedi

wee_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2004

The Dooku plot has always annoyed me accept for the parallel of the anakin/dooku luke/vader duels

Lucas could have developed Maul, perhaps have have obi-wan badly injure Maul, but he survives etc in epI. Sidious continues Mauls training and Maul helps organises the clone war, has a duel with Ob1/Anakin in epII, mames Anakin, then again they Duel in EpIII Anakin slays Maul and then we know the rest. it could have worked very well.

Alot of my friends whom arn't massive star wars fans have commentated that the Dooku plot etc. made things more complicated than they needed to be and would have liked the expansion of the Maul character.

Having Maul destroyed early probably did set back Sidious a bit, but he found new apprentices anyway, and until epvi everything that transpired "mostly" (not all) when accordingly to Sidious's design.

9. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Interesting question. If Maul had survived, then I think Dooku and Anakin would have remained Jedi.

10. Lord-Vegas

Lord-Vegas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 8, 2003
    It would have been really cool to watch 3 Sith lords square off in ROTS. Vader with Maul and Dooku if they'd survived

11. Darthchicken93

Darthchicken93 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2005
    And in ROTJ,Sidious didnt expect Vader to suddenly switch sides and kill him.

12. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Interesting question. I think from this aspect TPM is a microcosm, or a prototype of Sidious' grand plan. Even though it ultimately failed, it showed his plan and his blueprint was repeated on a larger scale 10 years later. In either case the apprentice was a throwaway, someone meant to be dangled in front of the Jedi to represent a threat. Even had Maul survived, I'm sure that the opportunity to have a respected former Jedi like Dooku turn to become a Sith Lord would have been too much to resist.

13. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    How could he have not known about Anakin? He created Anakin.

You don't know if he created Anakin or not. It never explicitly says it in the film. It just hints at it.

I believe that Darth Maul was Palpitine's "Chosen One". Maul was supposed to be the Apprentice to lead the assualt on the Jedi Temple, and then hunt down the remaining Jedi. Then Palpitine would rule the galaxy with Maul at his side.

14. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    That's what I think would have happened.;)

But I'd also like to add that the entire PT would have been better IMO if he'd (Lucas)kept Maul instead of switching to Dooku.
    I dont know what it is but I think everything would have seemed more "focused" and the plot would have moved along more smoothly if Maul had been the central villain.

Everything seems to move at a fast pace and you dont really get a chance to get to know the characters.

It's like they're here one minute, gone the next.

(that's one of the differences between the PT and the OT)

15. LittleGreenManYoda

LittleGreenManYoda Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    It all comes back to the power of foresight Sidous sent Darth Maul to Naboo to fight Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon and foreshadowed that he would kill Qui-Gon and inturn he would of been killed himself by Obi-Wan, Sidous didnt want Maul because he wasnt the type of Charismatic leader as Dooku was thats why Sidous took Dooku, he needed someone to lead the seperetist movement agiasnt the Republic. The fact that Sidous didnt know about Anakin is foolish Sidous isnt an idiot of course he knew about Anakin. He didnt need Dooku anymore because he was getting way past his prime and coming of to much age hell probly older than Sidous. Like when Anakin and Obi-Wan are back on Naboo before the celebration Palpatine/Sidous says to Anakin "We will watch your future with great intreset." hmm I think he had his eye on him all along even before TPM I beilive that he did in fact creat Anakin, you can debate me all you want on that topic but until I see some hard proof then im sticking to that, And as for Plagius Creating Anakin no way he may of taught Sidous how to do it but no one even heard of Plagius before ROTS.

16. Sidious-3

Sidious-3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2005
    Ash....your out of your mind here, you just jumped the gun. No "but"s! Palps/Sid didn't know about Anakin, or that's what a sensible person can grasp, until he arrived on Corosaunt with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. If he had found out about him before that, then he probably found him from the Force and the whole "Palps and his master created Anakin" thing is just a total load of crap! I'm not trying to insulting your opinion here, and if I have I'm sorry but, the thing of Palps and his master creating Anakin just jumped out of nowhere and the odds of it actually happening are too slim to none.

17. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    I have always disliked the talk that Maul would not have been the type of leader that Dooku was, and that is why he chose Dooku. I disagree. Palpatine had to go with Dooku because he lost Darth Maul. I really do not think that Palpatine originally intended to replace Maul with Dooku.

I truly believe that Sidious intended for Maul to lead the Separatists as Dooku did. Let us not forget that Sidious was Maul's apprentice, and I think he not only taught him the ways of the dark side, but as his mentor, he taught him in diplomacy, politics and negotiations.

I for one think that when Sidious sent Maul to Naboo, that was going to be the beginning of Maul's leadership, along with finishing off Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. I really believe Sidious thought Maul would defeat the two Jedi, and then have Amidala sign the treaty.

As others have said, in many ways I think it would have worked very well had Maul survived until ROTS, instead of Dooku. When I look back now, Dooku did not have the impact he shoudl have, especially played by Lee. I like the idea of Maul killing Qui-Gon, and being injured by Obi-Wan, even to have made it appear that Maul had died from fall, then to have him show up as the leader of the Separatists, maybe even wearing a disguise of sorts, until he faced off with Obi-Wan and Anakin in the hangar.

Nevertheless, I still believe Maul could have led the Separatists, because Sidious would have taught him over the 10 year period between TPM and AOTC.

Darth Sin! :cool:

18. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    It all comes back to the power of foresight Sidous sent Darth Maul to Naboo to fight Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon and foreshadowed that he would kill Qui-Gon and inturn he would of been killed himself by Obi-Wan

"You have been well trained my young aprrentice. They will be no match for you."

It sounds as if he thought Maul would kill both of them.

19. LittleGreenManYoda

LittleGreenManYoda Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005

Sidous could of just been feeding him a line, "You have been well trained my young apprentice. But im afraid you are going to die, but good luke on your quest."

20. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Oops, wrong thread :p

21. DarthGeorgeBush

DarthGeorgeBush Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    If Palpatine's plan went as designed they would have a peaceful galaxy

22. DarthGeorgeBush

Jun 8, 2005
  23. PADMELUVA

PADMELUVA Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    sure it would be peacful, but no one would be free. it would be elitist, and the people would live in fear. the people would have no way of changing their government, because the government itself is made up of these elites.

24. DarthGeorgeBush

Jun 8, 2005
    Just because hes an Emperor doesnt make him such a bad guy or a bad poltical system or even make him a bad ruler. Empires have worked in the past, and the most successful civilization ever the Roman Empire was ruled by Emperors

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "After Darth Sidious' first apprentice is killed, he has to come up with a new apprentice, and rather than coming up with some baby that he trains from birth, which is what he should have done--well, he shouldn't have gotten himself in a position of getting his apprentice killed anyways--he's decided to make his move, so he needs somebody that was already trained. The point is to set up that he turned this one Jedi, so that he could turn another Jedi. It has to be set up that way."

--George Lucas, AOTC DVD Commentary.

Lucas is showing how Sidious went from point A to point D, with B and C in between.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.