main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Image Heavy] Marvel: THE HEROIC AGE

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Annihilation was awesome, but Annihilation: Conquest and Realm of Kings... less so. Nova and GotG are very good series, I'll give you that. We'll see how the upcoming Thanos event goes.

I've liked the Avengers Disassembled meta-arc (New Avengers meta-arc?). And you have to admit the Dark Reign stuff has been crazy fun. They could have gone all grim and gritty and angsty on us, but they've thankfully used the "it's fun to be bad" approach.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Annihilation Conquest wasn't as good as Annihilation but War of Kings was excellent, the folow-up Realm of Kings suffers in comparison due to being a preparatory / aftermath event for both the War of Kings and the upcoming Thanos Imperative. As to whether either Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy come back from Hiatus in Jan 2011 post-Thanos Imperative is anybody's guess. Marvel has quietly cancelled titles by this method.

As to Avengers, pre-Bendis, Johns had done a run following Busiek's 56-issue run (+specials and linked series like Avengers Forever), Johns was followed by Austen and it wasn't good. So yeah, something had to be done. Although the seperation of titles was true of Marvel 1999-2004 across the board and it led to runs like Bendis' Daredevil and Morrison's New X-Men, long story arcs that would not be possible the same way in the event paradigm used for the last few years.

The bigger problem with the arc was that the marketing for Secret Invasion suggested that that event would be the big one, the finale - it wasn't but due to the how Osborn got into power, reader credibility fell - people did not buy into the premise, some did, but quite a few did not. Certainly I'd place myself in the latter category.

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I think part of the problem is that Annihilation came out of the gates so quickly and strongly when it was completely unexpected that it was going to be hard for anything to follow-up well.

I really hope they don't kill off GotG. It's a great title and serves as an alternative to the general superhero stuff. And in using characters that are not as big and so entwined in multiple titles you have the real sense of danger that they can be killed and stay that way.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yes, Civil War was massive but Annihilation took everyone by surprise.

But listen: I'd change both the cosmic the Avengers books for a new Nextwave ongoing. In a heartbeat. [face_flag]

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm, was sorta looking forward to reading about the Phalanx Covenant again after all these years.

That is true- most titles tended to have their own separate corners of the Marvel universe with only casual crossovers.

And I do agree that Secret Invasion was marketed as the big finale to the arc, then suddenly Siege became the end. It's not entirely misleading though- SI's plot was most connected to events over the past several years, going back to the start of New Avengers and many things since. Thus it's the point where the meta-arc came into focus/perception. Whereas Siege seems to be the wrap-up thus far.

And though how Osborn got into power wasn't perfect (happened too sudden, IMO), I'm still loving Dark Reign- it gave a lot of titles an excellent environment to thrive in like War Machine, the whole Iron Man/Tony Stark Disassembled arc, Thor, Dark Avengers, Deadpool (particularly that awesome Thunderbolts crossover and Wade vs Bullseye arc), etc.

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Don't get me wrong (although I won't speak for the others), Conquest is still good but not as great as the initial series.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My personal DnA space epic so far has been War of Kings.

As to the other points:

Yeah, Nextwave was brilliant wasn't it?

Dingo, I agree, I want Guardians to continue, I'm just uncertain it will do because it tends to be the quirkier, lower-profile titles that get axed.

Quest, I'd agree with every event there's always a couple of really good titles that come out of them, in the case of Dark Reign, for me, those titles have been War Machine and Secret Warriors.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Secret Warriors is one of the best books Marvel has ever published, period. And Jonathan Hickman a very brave man for daring to straighten (and widen!) the continuity of SHIELD and HYDRA.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, hell yeah- how could I forget Secret Warriors? I've been following that title since it launched and it's been damn awesome. Any word on if it's continuing after Siege? Would seem that once HAMMER and Osborne are done, they wouldn't be Secret anymore ;)

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I believe Hickman has planned like 50 issues and then the series will end, similar to Wolverine Origins.

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Secret Warriors has since become something like 30 issues as Hickman has recently said the conclusion of Wake The Beast takes the series to the halfway point. My expectation is the arc sets up Fury's plan to deal with both Leviathan and Hydra and the rest of the story is the execution of it.

Oh and Quest? Osborn was never Fury's primary concern, he ranked 2 on Fury's list remember? ;)

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Are these teams all affiliated? If so it makes sense. GURPS had Internation Super Teams(IST) in which super beings are recruited, trained, paid and given benefits and work for the UN in every country and state or city if need be.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The Initiative is more or less like that, but US based. We're assuming it's going to be disbanded before The Heroic Age begins; a pity, because I rather liked the concept and I still think it could co-exist with more traditional supergroups.

The Avengers teams are probably affiliated, yes, like the current X-Men teams, but it's all mere speculation on my part.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ha, right, right.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I hope there's some one-shot about number 3 in his list. Nick Fury's Beer. Now.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    [image=http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1269394950.jpg]

Thank you, Marvel.

[face_mischief]

17. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I didn't make these but still...awesomesauce. :D
    [image=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-zo/S2tf07KWcKI/AAAAAAAAMQA/UVdujD07sJ4/s1600/optimusPrime%2B-%2Biamanavenger.jpg] [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-zo/S2tf2f69npI/AAAAAAAAMQI/sxFr5RZan8E/s1600/ozymandias%2B-%2Biamanavenger2.jpg] [image=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-zo/S27or1GKRPI/AAAAAAAAMTw/35ZYdbBgETI/s1600/kratos%2B-%2Bavenger2.JPG] [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-zo/S2uKRh3cqxI/AAAAAAAAMQY/PsNtUXvyUOU/s1600/deadpool%2B-%2Bavengers.jpg] [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Gd8NBIma-zo/S2tfzGhiO3I/AAAAAAAAMPw/Wcgm_YGTpCM/s1600/jacksparrow%2B-%2Bavenger.JPG]

18. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

If there's one thing I want to see about Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova, it's that I don't want to see them visiting Earth very often. When they do visit, I think it'd be kind of funny to see the disparity in power levels that they deal with. Spider-Man fights guys who are threats to the whole neighborhood. Captain America fights guys who are threats to the whole planet. Star Lord fights guys who are threats to the entire universe (past, present and future). Nova, at this point, should effectively be at a level above Thor and the Sentry.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Dunno about Sentry. His whole schtick is "being more powerful than X; X = any other Marvel character".

20. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Beast and War Machine have been confirmed as Secret Avengers.
    [image=http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1270660852.jpg] [image=http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1270660850.jpg]

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    cool pics..

23. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I want to know what is going to be happening with Steve Rogers and Barnes...

24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Bucky will be Cap and be a member of The Avengers.
    I found this pic on IGN that I'm guessing is Steve. So it looks like he'll be a member of the Secret Avengers.
    [image=http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/106/1067375/secret-avengers-20100212010207043.jpg]

Crazy Theory Time!
    I do have a theory involving Steve Rogers somehow gaining the Sentry powers by the end of Siege however. I have no real proof and it's mainly based on the fact that with Bucky Cap out there, Steve has no real place in the world. The Sentry's formula is based on the Super Soldier Serum IIRC so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch. This image has been puzzling me for months now:
    [image=http://www.comicsbulletin.com/news/images/0911/SIEGE_WhatPriceVictory_04.jpg]
    Marvel obviously doesn't want to reveal who that is. It could just be the Sentry, foreshadowing his full turn into the Void but I think it's more than that. There's also a pic I unfortunately can't find right now. It was just the pencils for what looked like a cover with Steve Rogers, Thor, and Iron Man all fighting Norman Osborn. But Steve's costume was all blanked out so we couldn't tell what he was wearing.
    Basically, my prediction is that in Siege #4 the Sentry's "power of a thousand exploding suns" will somehow be transferred into Steve Rogers as he is the only person with enough self control and good inside him to contain the Void.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    That's not a bad theory, actually.

I always assumed that image was simply a way to create some expectation of Marvelman/Miracleman being a part of Siege.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.