main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends In Another's Footsteps - (Qui/Obi, JA) *Updated 6/30*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kadi, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kadi

Kadi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2004
    Title: In Another?s Footsteps
    Author: Kadi
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Note: This started as a harmless little Obi-angst/Qui-H/C vig, but the bunnies have begun to breed, so expect a full fledged story. The original plot bunny came from my master, Layren, so blame her. ;)

Chapter 1

The room was small, dark. When he?d been dragged in, his eyes had catalogued the occupants and?supplies within the room, as well as the room itself. His Jedi training had made such an action instinct. Now, none of that information could be recalled. Not that is was necessary.

Was it just him, or was the room growing smaller? Having never been one to suffer from claustrophobia, he felt a strange sense of panic overtake him. Closing his eyes, he forced himself through the only relaxation technique he could remember. It seemed to have some effect. When he forced himself to look, the walls had resumed their rightful positions.

Blood stained hands were held up in force-resistant binders, effectively keeping him upright in the center of the room. He?d lost feeling in his hands a while ago.

Not so smug now, are we Master Jedi?

How long had it been since his captors had left? Minutes?hours?weeks? The only light in the room came from the corridor outside, shining through the small window in the door.

Let?s see how long that Jedi serenity lasts.

Had they given up, or were they merely taking a break to get drunk? From the sounds coming through the ceiling, he guessed his prison was positioned beneath a cantina. He knew he would not survive another bout. The drug that had been used, on top of his being stripped of the force, left him powerless and weak, unable to protect himself.

I warned you I'd come back.

Bel-Rog had warned him. He?d vowed revenge before escape. The vow had been nothing new. In his life?s service as a Jedi, many had?only this one had held to his word.

Black spots were beginning to fill his vision. Now the room was beginning to spin. Why couldn?t the walls stay put? His legs hung uselessly below him, both having been broken after his second escape attempt. The pirate had been surprised, to say the least. A humorless chuckle turned into a wheezing cough. His lungs were suffering from the pressure being exerted by his hanging body. Without thinking, he shifted some weight onto his legs.

The sharp burst of pain overwhelmed his senses, sending him over the edge of consciousness.

Obi-Wan Kenobi, for all of his 20 years as a Jedi, had never felt so helpless. His master had requested a retreat for the two of them, the first they?d taken in years, so they could get away from the danger their missions usually entitled. They were supposed to have escaped the horrors their life possessed for a short time, not switch roles! There was an old Jedi saying about traveling in another?s footsteps to understand the full impact of a situation. He had often wondered what it was like from this side of the bacta, in other words.

Never again. He would take the pain over the worry any day. Better to be unconscious then watching someone you care for suffer.

He pressed a hand against the transparisteel of the bacta tank. It was warm to the touch, offering a vague amount of hope for the being within. The healing fluids within would repair the damaged tissue, and from his own experiences, he knew the mind would follow suit. His master was a strong man; he would survive, as he had before. But, it had been close. Closer than he could remember it ever being.

Too close.

In his mind?s eye, he could picture the room once again, the bloody apparatus scattered throughout, and his master hanging in the center. He?d been so still. For one horrible moment he?d thought his master was gone.

Obi-Wan swallowed hard, rapidly blinking back the tears in his eyes. A Jedi Padawan shouldn?t cry. It would not be right for the healing staff to lose their respect for the Jedi because he wasn?t strong enough. And he wouldn?t shame his Master?s teachings t

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Yay you posted it!!!

I can't wait to see how you expand this! :D I especially love the wonderful Qui/Obi mush.. so sweet..

3. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Sweet! Great work! [face_love] Awww the mush between Master and Padawan. [face_batting] Great stuff!

4. LilQui-Gon

LilQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2004
    I love this vig. :) I'm wondering, is there more to this? :confused:

5. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    awwwwww....nice work, Kadi!! I do hope there is more!! *pleading gaze*

6. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    Ooh. H/C. Gotta love those, especially if its your work.

Loved the way you switched roles. Poor Qui, going through those taunts, and then all that pain. Loved Obi fumbling to take care of his master, and being so tender with him.

>>>Never again. He would take the pain over the worry any day. Better to be unconscious then watching someone you care for suffer. >>>

Ain't that the wretched truth. Poor Obi.

[:D] to you, and to Layren, for giving you the bunny [although I might have known, what with the torture, and all. :D]

Great work - and post more soon...pwease?

PS: If you're a feedback junkie, what am I? [face_laugh]

7. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Awww, that is so sweet! I love the switched roles, Obi caring for Qui this time. [face_love] Can't wait for more!

8. NomiJinn

NomiJinn Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2004
    poor Obi and Qui. Now Obi knows how Qui feels all those times Obi gets hurt. Looking forward to what comes next

9. jeday

jeday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 4, 2004
    Nothing would happen while his stubborn apprentice stood watch.
    Aww, so sweet. :D More please!

10. Kadi

Mar 24, 2004
    Layren - Thanks Master! :D I'll have more Qui mush for you later. ;)

Kynstar - Well, no mush in this chapter. How about some Obi-angst?

LilQui-Gon - There is alot more to this. In fact, the ending is nowhere in sight.

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi - See above. ;)

ithesock - PS: If you're a feedback junkie, what am I? A feedback addict? [face_laugh]

Jedi_Tigris - Sadly, I can't take the credit for the idea. It was Layren's PB. :)

NomiJinn - Looking forward to what comes next See below. ;)

jeday - :D Here's more stubborn Padawan for you.

[image=http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/Layren/WhosLurking.gif]
    (Thanks to Layren for the button!)

[Lurkers] Tomorrow is I Wanna Be The Unnamed Ensign Day! All creative *de-lurks* will be judged on Wednesday and the most creative will get the chance to be killed off in the story they *de-lurked* in. So...anyone want to make a cameo appearance in this story? :D

Thanks to Calayka Bele for use of her character Mira Aova! [:D]

Chapter 2

?Padawan Kenobi, so soon to hear from you, we did not expect.? Yoda?s ears were perked up in interest as Obi-Wan bowed to the hologram before him. On either side of him were Mace Windu and Ki-Adi Mundi. The holo-projector in the med center did not have the capabilities to show the entire council, but he knew they too were present. All eyes were on him, which he reluctantly admitted made him nervous. He rarely had some of the most powerful Jedi in the Order focused solely on him.

Taking a deep breath, he released the emotion before opening his mouth to speak. ?Forgive me for interrupting your session, Masters.?

?Urgent, your news is??

?Yes. Master Jinn is seriously injured. I ask that you send a Healer to help return him to the Temple. While Perat has been enthusiastic in its hospitality, they do not have the resources to give my Master the care he needs. He-?

Murmurs from the councilors interrupted his planned dialogue.

Mace Windu leaned forward, concern slightly coloring his usual stern mask. ?How did your Master become so injured on your retreat, Obi-Wan??

The Padawan took a moment to release the emotions that once again assaulted him as he recalled the previous week. ?A pirate by the name of Bel-Rog managed to abduct Master Jinn while we were eating at a local diner. They?tortured him and I can only presume they meant to kill him. The local security force and I found him while they were away.?

?And Bel-Rog?? Ki-Adi Mundi asked.

?He and his companions managed to escape custody. Security has made it their top priority to find him, but I fear he has already fled the planet.?

?This report, finished when you return to the Temple. Stay with your Master, you should.? Yoda sighed sadly. ?A healer, we will send.?

?Thank you, Masters.? Obi-Wan bowed deeply as the holograms before him flickered out of existence. His confident stance automatically gave way to exhaustion. His very bones ached, it seemed. Now he understood another reason attachment was forbidden among the Jedi; this worry was mind consuming?to say the least. Part of him wanted to hunt down the pirate and bring him to justice, but mostly he just wanted to forget about the galaxy and watch over Qui-Gon.

Distractedly scratching the back of his neck, he wearily walked out of the communication room and made his way to his Master?s small room.

Qui-Gon hadn?t shifted even slightly while he?d been away. A panic that was steadily growing familiar gripped his heart until the older man?s chest rose with breath. His own lungs released the breath he had unconsciously been holding a moment later.

Obi-Wan ran a hand across his face. He was losing it. Qui-Gon?s presence could clearly be felt connected to his own through their bond. The Master shone in the Force. If he happened to become one with the Force, Obi-Wan would know immediately. Yet, he was constantly checking for these small, physical signs that his mentor still lived. Meditating would have been ben

11. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Obi-Wan ran a hand across his face. He was losing it. Qui-Gon?s presence could clearly be felt connected to his own through their bond. The Master shone in the Force. If he happened to become one with the Force, Obi-Wan would know immediately. Yet, he was constantly checking for these small, physical signs that his mentor still lived. Meditating would have been beneficial during this time, but he could not focus. The Force?s flow around his mind would be interrupted by him pausing to listen for Qui-Gon?s next exhale.

Ahhh so true :) Even though he knows... unconsciously he still reaches for the 'human' qualities of 'seeing is believing' part :D

Great job! Loved the Jedi Healer putting him under! LOL! :D

Great work once more :)

12. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

?I want my part back, Master.? He whispered, reaching out to grasp the larger hand lying limply on the sheets. ?I know there is a lesson in everything, even this, but I am not seeing it. I need your guidance.?

Awwwwww. Poor Obi. That was just lovely! [face_love][face_love]

Must have more!!

13. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Great story so far! very nice writing style and very well done. I look forward to more.

14. jeday

Jan 4, 2004
    Another wonderful post! [face_love]
    I want my part back, master. :_|
    Yeah, and this healer does know how to deal with stubborn apprentices. :D

15. LilQui-Gon

Jul 29, 2004
    I'm glad you posted more! :D Can't wait to see more.

16. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooh, I just found this! It's really good! Poor Obi-Wan! And Qui too, of course. I hope that healer caught Obi-Wan after she knocked him out, hee hee!

17. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    Yep... that sounds like our Obi-Wan. Needing to be knocked out before he'll relent to anything he doesn't want too.

~nods~

Well now, this is great.

Can I ask for more soon?

Seven

18. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Poor Obi, trying to deal with all those problems.

The healer really knows how to deal with stubborn Jedi, I guess! Hope she caught Obi when she knocked him out [face_laugh]

Wonderful job!

19. Kadi

Mar 24, 2004
    Kynstar - :D Unfortunately for Obi, the healer is hardly finished with him.

Layren - Thanks Master! [:D]

kateydidnt - Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

jeday - :D This healer still has a stubborn apprentice to deal with. After all, Obi-Wan has to wake up sometime. ;)

LilQui-Gon - There's alot more coming. The plot bunnies won't leave me alone.

Bastet - Yay! Another reader. :D

Seven - Of course you can ask for more. :) Is two days soon enough?

Jedi_Tigris - Do you really think Obi is fortunate enough to have a soft landing? ;)

Chapter 3

Obi-Wan awoke to the Healer standing over him, one hand grasping his upper arm while she aimed a hypo with the other. The shot seemed to descend in slow motion, the metal needle shining in the artificial lighting. His eyes widened and he tried to jerk his arm away. Unfortunately, Master Aova was prepared for a fidgeting patient and she easily kept him within her grip. Obi-Wan let out a hiss of pain as the needle sunk into his flesh.

?How anyone can spend several days in a medical facility and manage to become dehydrated and half starved is beyond comprehension.? Mira reprimanded him. She took her time injecting the vitamin solution. ?And here I thought you?d remain outside of my care for once.?

?Master Aova, I haven?t been neglecting myself.? Obi-Wan protested, rubbing his arm once the needle was removed. His eyes began to roam the room, searching for his missing tunics and robe.

?Your blood test would suggest differently. Not to mention your stomach. I?ve never known that organ to lie.? She said, just as a loud grumbling filled the space. Obi-Wan looked away in embarrassment. Had he actually been starving himself? The past few days were a blur, overshadowed with thoughts of Qui-Gon. He couldn?t remember the notion of eating having crossed his mind at any point. A light touch on his forehead drew him out of his troubled thoughts. The Healer was now checking a bacta patch ? where did that come from? ? on his forehead.

?Maybe next time you?ll listen to me.? She breathed, replacing the patch with another. ?I?d heal this now, but I need all my strength to help your Master.?

All thoughts about himself were instantly forgotten. ?How is he??

?Resting peacefully. He?s out of the bacta for now so the bone-knitters can do their work.? She sighed. ?The internal bleeding has stopped, but it will take time for the damage to fully heal.? She didn?t add that Qui-Gon was lucky to have survived so long. Even a first year healer apprentice would be able to detect the physical symptoms of internal bleeding. Bacta could not heal everything.

?Internal bleeding?? Obi-Wan asked in horror.

?You have no need to worry, Obi-Wan. Master Jinn will heal.? The Padawan had to wonder why healers even bothered to tell anyone not to worry. His master was injured; of course he would worry. The sudden need to check on Qui-Gon hit him just then.

?I haven?t dismissed you yet, Padawan Kenobi.? The voice of the Healer stopped him in his tracks.

?Master?? He questioned, surprised at the sharp voice coming from the normally gentle healer. What else had he done unknowingly?

?Sit down, Obi-Wan.? The Padawan was seriously tempted to disobey and return to his Master?s side, but his training won out. A Master?s order was always above a Padawan?s desires. Reluctantly, he took the seat she directed him to. A moment later, a bowl filled with the nutritious goop healers tortured their patients with, accompanied with a large glass of water, sat on his lap.

?Now, I want you to eat this in its entirety.? Healer Aova ordered, her tone softening. ?Then, you may return to your Master?s side for the remainder of the trip.?

The remainder of the trip joined the blur of the previous several days, being filled with attempts at meditation and just watching his master, which were interspersed with large bowls of nutritious slop prepared by Master Aova. Their arrival at the Temple was slig

20. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

Obi-Wan looked away from his Master?s patient gaze. Sitting here, seeing he was all right, allowed the all-consuming worry to tone down somewhat, giving way to all other emotions. Forefront of the onslaught was guilt. ?Master?I want to apologize for my lack of focus the other day. If I had-?

?Padawan, stop.? The haunted look in his apprentice?s eyes was all too familiar. The boy blamed himself entirely too much for things outside of his control. ?This was not your fault. ?

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww [face_love]:*[:D]

Hugs and kisses for both of them!

21. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Yay back at the Temple!

Poor Obi :( you had neglected yourself!

Uh oh... only Qui and Obi know of the guy's antics? Jeez so they'll wait until Qui is better before letting them go after the baddie? :( How sad is that!

:D Great job! :)

22. jeday

Jan 4, 2004
    Obi-Wan dismayed to discover someone had given him a sponge bath. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_love]
    Can't wait for more.

23. LilQui-Gon

Jul 29, 2004
    Quick Review = Happy Camper :D :D :D

24. Jedi Obi-Wan

Jedi Obi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2000
    ?Obi-Wan, neither of us was completely on guard that day."

Intriguing!!! I love the way you write Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's relationship. This is great, Kadi!! I can't wait for the next bit!! :D

25. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooooh, an update! Great stuff! I loved how Obi-Wan woke up to discover someone had given him a sponge bath. Hee hee. :D But now the council is going to make Qui go back after the guy? I sense more trouble ahead! Good! I mean bad, that's bad! ;)
    I look forward to more!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.