main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 still on the cards?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I would actually, as you are much more versed in Indy than me :)

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Spear of Longinus, or possibly Christ's cross-even though as far as I'm aware its never been imbued with any powers it'd still be one hell of a potent symbol for, say, a post WW2 clique of Nazis to covet... :cool:

Firmus Jagdon and Darkslayer like this.
  3. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

They don't have to have it centered on a 70 year old Indy. He could be in the Henry Jones role with someone else in the action role, or they could use Harrison Ford in a Framing role and re-cast "young" Indy. When I posted my cast for the Willow remake yesterday, I suggested this guy for a small role in Willow, but I do think he'd make a fantasy Indiana Jones in a world were the character is recast to continue that series on.

Karl Urban

[​IMG]

I think he brings all the elements to the table that Harrison Ford brought and would be at home in an Indiana Jones movie.

4. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I find Karl urbans acting to be a little to stiff and emotionless

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    ...so that eliminates Hayden Christensen for the running too.

SithHorseman likes this.
  6. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Lol i dont think either are bad actors, just cant see em playing indy

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Me too. I'm just being ornery. I actually am a fan of Karl Urban.

Back to the main topic, John Williams recently did an interview where he stated quite matter-of-factly that he will be doing the score for Indy 5. Quite a statement given that there has been no official announcement of the project even moving forward. Doesn't necessarily make it so, I know that, but it does give credence to some rumblings among Spielberg's inner-circle that this is starting to come about.

“I met Steven when he was very young, over 40 years ago, when he asked me to do the music for his first feature film, ‘Sugarland Express,’” said John in a recent interview.
    “I’m quite a bit older than he,” John said of Steven, his frequent artistic partner. “It’s been, for whatever reason, always a wonderful relationship. Since he is younger than I am, I will try to keep up with him, do the music for ‘Indiana Jones 5.’ I will try to keep up with the other gentlemen, including JJ Abrams, who’s doing ‘Star Wars VII,’ and we will see how long my eyesight will hold out. —That’s the present state of things.”

Read more: http://entertainment.inquirer.net/121095/john-williams-looks-forward-to-scoring-new-star-wars-indiana-jones#ixzz2lJXiA2Al

TKT likes this.
  8. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

He can do that stiff, emotionless stuff, but its not all he can do. I don't find his range to be any different then Fords. I don't expect and wouldn't expect him to just play Ford playing Indy, nor would I want that (no one should). Re-casting a role in a remake isn't about getting someone to do the same thing as the last guy. If you look at the Star Trek remake, Pine and Urban and co. don't just do impressions of the original cast and they weren't cast because they could do impressions, they play the same characters but in different ways. Thats why it worked. The same would have to be true if they re-cast Indy or Willow.

I think he'd a good job with the role.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I really hope it happens, especially since I just watched Crystal Skull for the first time in a while and had an absolute blast. Such an underrated film. Indy was written and portrayed perfectly for my tastes, feeling like a character who's progressed in an age appropriate manner while still maintaining the old adventure spark (Ep. VII take note--if Solo is coming back, look to Crystal Skull for an example of how to achieve something more than nostalgia dipping). The script was full of amusing little exchanges to a degree that Mutt and Indy in the diner simply belongs to the same world where Indy and Short Round once played a camp fire game of cards and Indy and his father once shared an awkward father/son moment in a zeppelin. Yeah, some of the action was really over the top, but that's a plus for me as far as Indy is concerned, and far from cringing, I simply chuckled and enjoyed the classic Lucas pulp melding style that can give us a greaser pulling off some Tarzan moves. And lastly, I forgot how gorgeous the film was. From the opening desert drag race to Indy (twice) bearing witness to world altering powers, I'd struggle to simply pick one shot that best defines the essence of the film.

Yep, bring on Indy 5.

lbr789 and Firmus Jagdon like this.
  10. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    What's the big deal, Indy can be what Connery was in LC. Doesn't have to do ALL the action, just ride along like a Ben Kenobi... My only suggestion is to RECAST Mutt...have them fight off the Chinese army and have Short-round as a General in said army.

11. Firmus Jagdon

Firmus Jagdon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2013
    Give them a relic to chase and make the baddies neo-nazis looking to revive the third reich. Turn Indy into a Nazi hunter, travels to Brazil, Argentina, Peru to see if the rumors of Mengele, Eichman are still alive... It would be perfect as it would only be in the 1960's.

As for the in-between years, do an Indiana animated movie like the Clone wars..
    damn right, I get so sick of people bashing this flick, oblivious and constantly missing the point. If an Indy movie is not full of over-the-top action its not doing its job. Nuke the fridge- Damn right! I won't have it any other way... as for 5, bring in plenty of supporting characters, dont let Ford do ALL the heavy lifting.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Or just let the franchise die.

spicer likes this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I CAN TYPING

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. inotropic

inotropic Jedi Master

Oct 4, 2009
  16. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It's been almost 5 years since KOTCS, with Harrison getting much older now and likely to be in the ST it's not looking to good.

17. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    They could always use make up to take a decade, or two off

18. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Apparently Ford wants a commitment for Indy 5 to sign on and do the ST.

Or just make Indy older or recast him or something. Making a 70 year old look 10-20 years younger.......

19. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    According to Deadline, Disney has just sorted out all distribution/production issues with Paramount regarding the intellectual property of Indiana Jones, bringing it back in house. However, Paramount continues to have distribution rights to the first four films. I don't know exactly how long they have those rights, or if they're in perpetuity.

I believe this is breaking news, so they may continue to update information:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/dis...-marketing-distribution-deal/#comment-9176192

Be interesting to see if we see more rumors regarding Ford's insistence that a new Indy film begin development, as a condition of appearing in the Star Wars sequels.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Variety had an article about it as well

I'm curious to see what comes of it. It's all but obvious that Harrison is going to be in E7 for those following spoiler-y news, so it'll be at least 3 years before a new Indy film.

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  21. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Well you certainly wouldn't pay the money involved to bring the franchise entirely in house (for future releases) without plans to release more than one film. I think Sluggo is right, maybe one more adventure with Ford, then follow that up with a new Indy but the movie framed around Ford as old Indy so audiences can accept the new actor in the role.

Or maybe they just move forward with or without Ford.

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't see an Indy movie being successful without Ford...

CaptainHamYoyo and Darkslayer like this.
  23. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Mutt williams spinoff. We can have one last film in which indy passes the torch. Then mutt gets a solo film.

24. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I don't get the passing the torch comments...how do we have an Indiana Jones movie without the title character?

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Soon we will get a new Indy. Someone stronger who will not let this tragedy continue.