main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Inheritance trilogy] Any others who like it?

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by SithGirl132, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    I rather liked Eragon and Eldest, and I'm going to read Brisingr over the next few days after my homework is done. Anyone else actually like the books? Yes, it's a Star Wars knockoff. Hoping that I'm not the only one who liked it...

2. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I too like the Inheritance "Cycle" as they are now called. I agree that it is in many ways a knock off other stories such as Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, but at the same time I will enjoy the books for what they are--an enjoyable read. I will get Brisinger someday and I do own Eragon and Eldest.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    No, I think it's horrible. I'd ask if any of you want to write fanfic on it, but it is fanfic :rolleyes:

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    No. My opinion is similar to Nat's opinion. I do, however, have a curiosity as to where the story is going and wonder whether there's a chance for it getting better. :p

I would, however, read Eragon fanfic if it was about Murtagh and from his POV. I've been of the opinion for a long time (pretty much since I read Eragon) that the story would have been better from his POV.

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I read those books last summer, and I liked them. However, I'll have to re-read them before starting in on the new book.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I will say that Murtaugh was kind of interesting and I would probably read a vignette about him. But that's as far as I go.

7. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Well, I guess that someone will eventually write one, especially now.

8. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I really am not all that impressed with Christopher Paolini's writing style, but the story hooked me. I just finished Brisingr about... ten minutes ago. I think I might write some fanfic soon! :D

9. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    The biggest issue I had with the stories is how predictable they are, but yet I still like them to a point. For example you could tell that Murtagh was Eragon's brother from the first book, along with how Eragon fell for Arya.

10. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    [face_laugh] That about sums up my feelings, too. There are concepts that are very interesting, I just don't think they're executed very well in the "Cycle".

Still, I'm willing to bet there's plenty of writers here who could change my opinion of the fandom by doing those concepts the proper justice.

11. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I remember when the first book was published - I told my boss, "Yeah, if I hadn't been spending six hours a night on calculus homework when I was his age, I could've written a novel." :p

Maybe the fanfic-ness can be attributed to Paolini's age? Or is that too easy an explanation? All I know is, Eragon sounds too much like Aragorn, and that drives me nuts.

12. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm not sure if it can totally be blamed on his age. After all, Eldest was published after he was out of his teens, and IMO, Eldest is even more of a mess than Eragon. (I can't say anything about Brisingr, as I have not read it and probably won't for a while.)

You're not the only one who is annoyed at the naming similarities, JS. They drive me bonkers. 8-} Though names are probably the least of my worries about the cycle. Like Exeter said, some of the concepts are interesting but the execution is not the best in the world. It's a hero's journey story, but it doesn't add anything new to the concept. That's one of my main problems with the Cycle.

Still, I do continue to read out of interest and curiosity to see if things could possibly change... maybe... a little bit and get more interesting and less predictable? [face_batting]

:p

Murtagh would have made a more interesting -- and possibly unconventional -- main character rather than farmboy Eragon, methinks. :p

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Not necessarily youth but experience - or lack of it. If you look at fanfic writers here who have been writing for several years, you can see their stories improve over time. Eragon feels like a fanficcer's beginning work - has potential but more writing practice would make his skills better. And Eldest wasn't enough practice later to make his writing better.

14. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I agree-- he needs more practice. When I, an amateur, teenage, un-published writer can go through your book and pick out the errors you need more practice :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.