main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Into the Void

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Penguinator, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    OOC: Let's begin. :)

[b]October 20th, 2053[/b]

As the night drew on, the convoy of vehicles drew closer to their destination in the Mojave desert. Up came Joshua Tree, the last civilian town that the passengers would see for a while. The trucks stopped to fuel up, filling their tanks and letting the fuel cells do their job at converting the hydrocarbons.

It was dark out, but friendly light emanated from the gas station, and a faint glow could be seen behind the distant horizon, a melancholy reminder of the sunset. In the distance, not too far away, an old ranch house's windows glowed and glimmered, movement behind the panes visible. Their was laughter and music, faint but true.

The suited man in charge of the convoy had given the passengers express instructions not to speak to one another, while assuring them that there would be plenty of time for their questions once they got to 03, wherever that was.

And now he spoke his second sentence of the night to the passengers - Bryce, Duall, Lorn, Roy, Renar, Kellen, Adams, Akamura and Donovan - telling them that they had a ten minute stop here.

The passengers got out, stretched, still unsure of what to do. They knew this was classified - the men that had gone to get them had told them quite simply that it had to do with the reserve team - and they all knew what that meant.

The reserve team was them. They were the back-up to the [i]Volkoff[/i] project, ready to ship out at a moment's notice when they were given their orders. They had three hours to say their goodbyes before they were taken to 03.

For some, that was easy, and for others, it wasn't. But they were here now, ready for anything.

"All right, that's ten - load up, people."

With slow steps the team clambered back into their vehicle, and in moments the ranch house, gas station, and last rays of sunlight were left behind as the trucks rumbled down the road towards 03.

The radio in the team's truck crackled, and the driver turned it up for all to hear.

"03 is approximately one hundred clicks away - I think we can take away your gags, figuratively speaking. I know you've got a lot of questions, and they'll have to wait, but at least you can talk to each other now. Over and out."

As the hummers and troop trucks rolled in front and behind them, the team drew nearer and nearer towards 03.

[b]Tag: All[/b]

2. Twinky_Stryder

Twinky_Stryder Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2003
    IC: Mitsuko

Mitsuko looked around at her team-mates, then quickly looked back down again. She didn't want to engage too much with these people right now. She was glad to have been chosen for such an important mission, whatever it really was.
    She rubbed her neck absent mindedly and looked around again. Something caught her eye for a second, but she shrugged it off as nothing.
    The only thing she could really do now was wait.

TAG: any

OOC: short, but sweet I think.

3. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Darth_Vaders_cousin Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 12, 2004
    IC: Bryce
    Convoy

3 Klicks...shoot...1 klick is like what...2 snaps and a pop?

Bryce had never really learned military lingo, he coudl spout a line of 1's and 0's faster than you couls shake a stick at, but had no idea what a klick was.

He sat, rather uncomfortably, with the rest of the reserve team. Even though the gag was lifted the air was still somber...they all knew something had gone wrong with the first mission, that's why they were being sent in.

Bryce shrugged his shoulders a bit. No matter how often you wear a suit it is never comfortable to a guy like him. But, it was TCD Detectives dress code, and while he wasn't under TCD command right now, he still felt bound by them. He'd formed a kinship with the TCD no one would have expected, and though his tie might be a little looser, and his commitment a little more forced, he was still TCD.

He leaned to one side, adjusting the shoulder harness his pistol sat in, and cleared his throat.

"So...erm...I guess this is it huh."

Tag: All

4. The_Jesstar

The_Jesstar Jedi Master star 4

Feb 21, 2003
    OOC: [face_dancing]

IC as Madison Duall

Madison didn't mind the silence as much as some others. She had always had the knack for just drifiting off into her imagination and keeping her own company. She was pleased to be on the way. Now that she had the opportunity to, she glanced around at her fellows and smiled.

A pale and formidable looking man in a suit had just spoken a non-commital greeting and Madison turned to him with a smile. "Yep, on our way! I'm Madison. You can call me Madi. Aren't you hot in that suit?" The words tumbled out of her mouth all at once. Idiot. She chastised herself. She was always some-what nervous around new people and over compensated with pointless speaking. She had always been slightly socially awkward. Not knowing what to do, but not wating to talk pointlessly, Madi just smiled and sat back comfortably, hoping someone would engage her in conversation.

TAG: All

5. MandalorianLegecy

MandalorianLegecy Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2008
    IC: Kyle Roy
    Convoy

It was silent, besides the truck going across gravel. That made a very unpleasant grinding noise. He heard a man speak then a woman introduce herself.

"Yep, on our way! I'm Madison. You can call me Madi. Aren't you hot in that suit?"

Madi seemed to be pleased, so was Kyle. Kyle had been waiting for this trip to become operational. Kyle pondered of what it will be like in space. For all his life Kyle had been firmly planted on the ground. Besides his piloting planes Kyle had never been out of this atmosphere. Not that anyone here has, it was our first time. Or so Kyle thought. Kyle was slouched in his seat looking at his Laptop screen. Kyle grunted and closed his Laptop, placing in his backpack. Kyle sat up and leaned forward looking at everyone around him, then speaking.

?Hello Kyle Roy, Pilot and Engineer. But you can call me Kyle; I?m not big on titles?

Tag: Anyone

6. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    IC: Marric Renar

Marric listened to the now buzzing chatter around him and smiled. This would be his second time onboard a ship, only this time he was the Executive Officer. He had liked the XO he had gotten back when he was a sensor tech. He had maintained professionalism while at the same time being easy to approach and relaxed off duty.

"Yep, on our way! I'm Madison. You can call me Madi. Aren't you hot in that suit?"

?Hello Kyle Roy, Pilot and Engineer. But you can call me Kyle; I?m not big on titles?

Marric spoke up, "Marric Renar, second stint in space for me." He didn't bring up his rank as now he wanted to just get to know them before they entered the more formal setting aboard ship. He was also curious who his captain was going to be.

Tag: all

7. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Nov 12, 2004
    IC: Bryce
    Convoy

Bryce smiled as the girl blurted out a series of lines, followed by a few other introductions. He loosened his tie a bit more and replied.

"Special Agent Jayson Bryce, UNIA Technical Crimes Division. Ya'll can call me Bryce...And no, darlin', you get used to it after a few years."

He glanced around waiting for someone else to speak, or to get a glance at the base though the window. The final frontier they called it, space, in his mind, was nothing more than another assignment.

TAG: all

8. MandalorianLegecy

Mar 20, 2008
    Convoy

Kyle reopened his Laptop and slouched back into the chair. He opened the program he was working on, a virtual map creator. Kyle started typing faster than he could blink, the codes were spilling in. After about five minutes Kyle had finished the program. Kyle took a CD and placed it in the Laptop Drive. The data downloaded onto the disk. With a smile Kyle placed the disk in a case and set it on his lap. He took out a case that had holders for Kyle?s program disks. He placed in near the schematics for a Laser Gun.

Kyle looked around to hear the same man now reply.

?Special Agent Jayson Bryce, UNIA Technical Crimes Division. Ya'll can call me Bryce...And no, darlin', you get used to it after a few years."

He nodded and continued to look for one of his program documents for a self driving car, which he had been working on back home. But Kyle never got the time to finish it, due to this mission he wanted to be a part of. He turned on the document then flipped the screen around and flattened it on the keyboard of the laptop. Now he could drag the car around and test in from touch screen. Kyle wasn?t paying attention to anyone else after he heard Jayson speak. Kyle glanced up to see how far they were away from the lauch site, or where they needed to go.

9. Burning_Endor

Burning_Endor Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2008
    Of Ryan Adams in the Middle of Nowhere, Convoy

Ryan sat back and listened to the myriad of introductions, waiting for his chance to speak. As the pale man, who called himself Bryce, finished, Ryan walked over to the rest of the team.

"The name's Ryan B Adams, Engineer aboard spacefaring vessels for nearly sixteen years, Chief Engineer for the last five of those."

He looked around, waiting for another to speak up. And that brought up an interesting question; where was, or who of these men and women would be, the captain?

Tag - All

10. Nethrin

Nethrin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    IC: Jaden Kellen

The others seemed somewhat talkative, at least Madison did. The rest seemed somber or simply quiet and serious. Even though he didn't feel like talking with anyone at the moment he cracked a smile and spoke up.

"Hey, this kinda sounds like a "trouble annonimous" meeting. well, then I guess I'm next. My names Jaden, or Dr. Kellen, whichever you are more comfortable with. I don't fly or fix computers or anything like that. I don't know a thing about computers actually. I fix people though."

He leaned back in his seat and wondered, where the captain was and what, exactly, was about to happen.

11. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004

"Hey, this kinda sounds like a "trouble annonimous" meeting. well, then I guess I'm next. My names Jaden, or Dr. Kellen, whichever you are more comfortable with. I don't fly or fix computers or anything like that. I don't know a thing about computers actually. I fix people though."

Marric nodded, "Good to know, last time in space the doctor caught something and we had to do with our pilot who had the most medical training."

Tag

12. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: I like what I'm seeing, guys! You're making this fun for me!

IC as Installation 03 Commander Smythe

A clear, calm voice cut through the dark silence of 03's epicentre.

"What's our ETA on the reserve team, people?"

One of the many techies in the room looked towards the Brit's location at the rear of the room. Commander Smythe cut quite a clean figure in his uniform, making the simple, drab olive clothes look almost distinguished. His hair was graying at the temples, and cut short, held in it's classic style by (seemingly) force of will alone. A small, clean mustache was perched over his upper lip, emphasizing his strong jawline.

He held a pipe in his right hand, the other held behind his back, at ease and yet alert and prepared.

"About ten minutes, sir." came the answer.

Smythe nodded sharply. Almost time...

Tag: All players - another post is coming, but I thought I'd give a little warning before tossing you into another situation.

13. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Nov 12, 2004
    IC: Jayson Bryce
    Convoy -- ETA 10 Minutes

"Trust me, a bloke who can fix people is just as important as the one who fixes the computers. Hopefully, Doc, neither of our services will be needed and we get to enjoy an intergalactic vacation of sorts." He said with a grin.

Truth was, while his technical capacities outreached those of anyone here, it wasn't his only job on this mission. Sure he'd be most handy if a computer freaked out, but he was also running protection, from both inside and outside forces.

Spacer's Syndrome was always a worry on missions where members of the crew had never been into space for extended periods of time. No one quite understood what caused it, whether it was mental imbalance exasperated by a cramped environment, or just the complete vastness of space that sent people into crazy fits, but either way, people had been known to kill others and themselves. The occasions were rare, albeit, but they did happen.

Also, though the government would refuse to admit it, Bryce's Paranormal background may have been of some interest to them too. Who better to send into space than the guy that believes in aliens and just might be able to kill them.

Bryce glanced over to the man working on a computer, with a stack of micro-disks in his lap. He craned his neck, hoping to get a glimpse of the screen.

"Whatcha workin' on mate? Tryin' to figure out a way to optimize engine capabilities to speed our mission...or are you just playin' some videojuegos?"

OOC:
    Just a reminder, everyone, we are almost 50 years into the future, hopefully we've made some leaps and strides in technology. Impossible things are known to happen in a short succession of years (Just look at the modern PC) and no one is going to question you on Technology as long as it is reasonable. Think future.

14. MandalorianLegecy

Mar 20, 2008
    Convoy

"Whatcha workin' on mate? Tryin' to figure out a way to optimize engine capabilities to speed our mission...or are you just playin' some videojuegos?"

Kyle looked up at the man trying to look at his car schematics, he pressed a button that made a hologram screen shot up for all to see. Kyle poked his finger into the middle, which changed the color of the car. Kyle then changed the wheels with hover generators, then the holographic car started floating.

?Just a new car, also a new gun, and a robot? Kyle replied pressing tow buttons making to other hologram screens pop up, showing a Droid and gun. ?Almost done though, but there might be bugs? Kyle added. Kyle saved the programs and took out the disks from the 3-disk reader. Kyle then placed them back in the case, taking out only one other. He carefully placed it in there and a hologram screen came up. It was blank at first until Kyle plugged it into an outlet inside the car. All the vitals, malfunctions, problems, and schematics came up for this convoy.

?This is a program that when you enter the disk it will do nothing, until it was plugged it? Kyle explain, adding ?Then it tells you everything about the system, ship, vehicle, or Security System?. Kyle smiled as he looked at his screen.

15. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003

Mitsuko gazed at the holographic car. Designing and making such things were not her field, but she could admit there was an elegance in the intricacy of the car. She turned to the others and moved her sholders forward in a kind of informal bow.
    "Dr Akamura. Mitsuko. I'm from Kyoto in Japan." Although that part was probably obvious. She glanced over at Jaden with a slight frown. She preffered to work on her own, and surely if she was as good as she'd been told she would not require any help in the medical centre. Aware that she may be staring and being quite rude as a first impression, Mitsuko thought it may be best to start conversation.
    "Dr Kellen. I was wondering if you were aware of whether the ship's medical centre had a nano or laser scalpel? I know the nano scalpel is more suited to highly detailed surgery, but I thought maybe we were being equipped for any eventuality."

TAG: Jaden, any

16. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    Clark "Donnie" Donovan
    Convoy

Clark Donovan looked around at the rest of the ship's crew. Of the team, he was the youngest and probably possessed the least authority of any of them. To his left sat two doctors discussing medical tools; to his right, an engineer was showing off various technology he had developed. Truth be told, Donnie was starting to feel a little like he was in over his head, rolling through the desert with some of the brightest geniuses (or is it genii, Donnie wondered) from around the world, and in no time he was going to be in outer space of all places - it was all a lot to take in.

Taking a deep breath, Donnie introduced himself. "Hi everybody. My name's Clark Donovan, but I'm mostly called Donnie."

17. Nethrin

Nethrin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2006
    IC: Jaden

"Dr Kellen. I was wondering if you were aware of whether the ship's medical centre had a nano or laser scalpel? I know the nano scalpel is more suited to highly detailed surgery, but I thought maybe we were being equipped for any eventuality."

The other doctor, Mitsuko, seemed to be completely professional. Jaden could play like that.

"I don't know, Dr Akamura. I would hope that they would have both, just in case. Im hopeing that we will not have need of either though. I would rather my skills not have to be used, since that would mean someone in this vehicle would be hurt."

He didn't feel like keeping up the small talk. For one of the first times in his life he did't actually feel like talking. A new and strange feeling for him.

TAG: Mitsuko, All

18. Twinky_Stryder

Nov 16, 2003

When the other doctor fell silent, Mitsuko wondered whether she had said something wrong. She shrugged it off however. She didn't want any fatalities either, but she would do her job and a part of that was being prepared. That is what she had learnt at medical school and it was something she would carry with her.
    Medical school seemed like such a long time ago, the friends she had made there. Was Dr. Kellen freash out of school like her? He might be, and that meant he was in the same position as her.
    "I apologise if I said something to offend or upset you Dr Kellen."

TAG: Jaden, any

19. The_Jesstar

Feb 21, 2003
    IC Madison Duall

Madi had fallen silent by a great force of will, and was processing all she had just learned. She knew she wouldn't remember everyone's names or qualifications. Suppose we've got long enough together to get to know one another, nobody expected it would be a short mission. Even without saying it, or having it confirmed, Madi knew that this would be her last time on earth in a long time. She didn't know whether to be excited or disappointed.

She looked out the window, and gasped, she couldn't hold it in any longer. "Look guys, you can see the site!" It wouldn't be long now before they were on their way.

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005

PROLOGUE

INSTALLATION 03

Smythe gave the order, and the posted guards opened the tunnel towards Installation 03. With a low hum, the heavy blast doors opened, slowly. The first track passed into a gray corridor that dipped down in a steady incline. The whole structure gave even the most indifferent viewer an uneasy feeling. 03 was underground, like some ancient monster waiting for it's next meal.

The first truck passed through and the gentle grade saw it disappear slowly. Next was the team's vehicle. A chill passed through each member. Some of the more philosophical-minded passengers saw this as the point of no return; the scientists would call it the event horizon; those with a dark sense of humour saw the irony in this name.

After an immeasurable time descending into the earth, they seemed to level off. It was much colder here, due in part to the heavy fans pumping in fresh air at a constant rate, and due in part to their depth. It was nearly two in the morning now, but it would feel like rush hour in a few minutes.

At last the vehicles came to a halt. Soldiers and 03 personnel ushered the team out of the truck and into the open. They caught a glimpse of the large depot they were in, before personnel brought them into another room.

"All right, just about there," said one, pressing a button on the wall. The room shook slightly, and all occupants felt their weight shift as the room began to move sideways. The telltale feeling of deceleration came about, and suddenly the room began to descend. This concept of the early 21st century was now a reality.

At long last they arrived in a comfortable room, after exiting the elevator and passing many closed doors. Furnishings were comfortable and beneficial to posture, if spartan in appearance. Drinks were served - nothing alcoholic, yet - and at long last, the ascetic Commander Smythe made his entrance.

"Right. You may call me Commander Smythe or Sir. I assume you don't know why you're here exactly, so I shall tell you, for time is of the essence."

Smythe looked about the room, as though daring someone to interrupt.

"The United Nations Aerovehicle [i]Volkoff[/i], our ship on assignment, is incommunicado. This is not public news yet, understandably; we haven't heard from them in a week."

A man in a gray suit entered from the door behind Smythe. The commander glanced over his shoulder irritably. The man dipped his head apologetically, sitting off to one side.

"Our regular systems update tells us that long-range comm systems have been offline since their last transmission two weeks ago. As they missed their scheduled check-in, something is definitely wrong. These are the best systems, and they don't just stop working."

Smythe exhaled slowly, as though this was threatening his perfect poise and posture, the order of his Installation.

"Excuse me. As I was saying, something is wrong. And you're going to find out what that is."

He looked about the room, as though it were perfectly clear that questions were to be asked.

[b]Tag: All[/b]

21. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004

The time for questions had aparently come around. "Is it safe to assume the vessel we will be on is going to be of the same class and design as the Volkoff?" Marric was fairly certain this was true but wanted to get the affirmative. If it had been an equipment failure, however unlikely, then the same might happen to them although Marric doubted it.

Tag

22. The_Jesstar

Feb 21, 2003
    IC Madison Duall

Madi was a little overwhelmed with all this information. She was none-the-less still excited at the prospect of going into space. "Did the crew of the Volkoff indicate anything had gone wrong in their last transmisson? Sir." Madi added as an after-thought.

If they still have access to the systems update, than the ship is intact, wherever it is Madison's mind started racing with possible reasons for the crew not contacting base. She knew that everyone would ask questions of hteir own and came out of her thoughts to listen.

TAG: Peng, all

23. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Nov 12, 2004
    Briefing Room

The other's rattled off questions, as Jayson sat in the back of the room. The rest of them, so far anyhow, and voice ideas that it was a technical problem. He was sure it wasn't.

"Has anyone considered that the problem might have been personnel rather than technical? I haven't had a chance to look at the programming instructions or anything, but I think it would be safe to assume it wasn't a technical glitch. Spacer's Syndrome maybe, or..." He trailed off a bit, knowing his next words would probably make him sound like a nutter to the rest of the group. He cleared his throat before continuing the thought. "Maybe..eh...outside influences?"

He tightened his tie a bit to make him look more professional, the least thing he needed was the crew thinking he was going to claim he'd been abducted by aliens once. Their very lives would lay in his hands if something technical was wrong, and they needed to trust him.

"Of course I could be wrong." He added quickly, "If we have time I'd like to glance over some of the programming and technical read outs from the last check in. Just to make sure this isn't a computer problem."

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Commander Smythe / Director Hark

The man in the gray suit spoke up in response to the questions.

"The ship you'll be taking there is a standard-designation UNA ship. The Oppenheimer is something of the Volkoff's little brother; the same, but different."

Smythe glanced at the man irritably. "What Mister Hark says is true. The Oppenheimer is based on the core design, the same purposes guide this ship. Any worries about the quality of this ship are unfounded; the Oppenheimer is every bit a flagship and then some."

Hark spoke up calmly, ignoring Smythe's look. "We've had some time, understandably, for improving on the Volkoff's systems. It's been almost four years since we built it. As to your question, Ms. Duall, we had no indication. They simply didn't check in, and our protocol dictates that we respond in this fashion."

He pulled out a remote, pressing a button. The lights dimmed and a 3D holographic image shimmered into being in the center of the room, rotating slowly. It was of the Volkoff, and included all reports up until the point they'd lost contact.

"We're fairly certain the ship is intact, but without their updates, we can't be 100%. That's a design flaw we fixed in the Oppenheimer. And, Mr. Bryce, your reputation precedes you. No evidence of outside influence has been found, but you're welcome to look. We can't rule out insanity or a nervous breakdown, though."

Hark thumbed the remote again, and the image changed to a graphic charting their flightpath.

"They're out far. Very far. We're sending you out after them. This won't be easy, and you won't see planetside for at least a year. Orbits change, though, and you could wind up out in the deep for even longer."

Hark looked about the team, and checked his watch. Only sixty hours to go.

"You already know that Volkoff is in orbit around a stable black hole. And now, we're telling you this - top of the classified pile - they found something big."

25. Darth_Vaders_cousin

Nov 12, 2004
    Briefing Room

As the three-dimensional display arouse in the center to the room, Bryce quickly pulled a small device out of his back pocket. Resembling a cross between small LED flashlight and a pen, this device was the latest in TCU developed technology, highly expiremental, and as Bryce would proudly boast if asked, mostly his design.

The TCU Omni-Tool or, as Bryce liked to call it, the Master Key, was the latest and greatest in every way. Coded to with the most advanced pass code breakers known to man, the Omni-tool could, supposedly, open any electronically controlled door and slip past computer passwords with ease. It could also scan images and read disks, transmitting data to Bryce's personal PDA or laptop, and worked as a magnetic screwdriver, used for quick dismantlement of computer cases or home-made security devices. Finally, it also worked as a flash light or black light.

Bryce, upon producing his Omni-tool, quickly ran the blue light over the 3-D image, which was received by the PDA in his pocket with a muffled chirp. He reached into his front jacket pocket, removing his PDA, and dropping in it's place his Omni-tool. He was going over the 3-D model when he was addressed.

He nodded his head when Hark told him they could not rule out mental distress. He tuned the world out again, absorbed by the program, memorizing the lay out of the ship, and mostly examining for computer terminals with in the ship. He was only half paying attention when Hark said something that jerked him back into reality.

"...telling you this - top of the classified pile - they found something big."

He looked up at the man. "Big...as in shattering quantum physics big? Time travel big? Intra-dimensional travel big? Or are we talking something different. Something..." He paused, choosing his words carefully again, "...something...Out of this World?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.