main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Des Moi, IA Introductions please

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Nitesylver, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitesylver

Nitesylver Jedi Youngling

Dec 8, 2005
    Hi, I recently moved into the area from Alaska, of all places. Love to get to know some fans around here. I thought that I'd post here and introduce myself. Soo, I'm currently attending college(transfering after two years of uni. is NOT something that I'd reccomend); and apparently I'm a big sci-fi fan. It'll be nice to meet everyone.

2. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Hello :) I'm not officially in Des Moines yet, moving there May/June-ish. Nonetheless, glad to see you found us. Most of the meeting info can be found here on the meetup.com boards.

3. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Welcome to Iowa, too bad it's colder here than usual for you. We meet at a local game/hobby shop on Sundays at 12:30. Jay's CD and Hobby is located on SE 14th, 2 blocks north of Army Post Road, behind the Culvers. We'd love to have you stop by, and we meet on the 3rd Friday of every month at Cup O Kryptonite, although our friday attendance is down considerably, so we may have to change that soon.

About me: well, you'll see by my sig that I am the reigning Mr SW, an improv contest held annually at Dragon Con in Atlanta. It was my first time ever doing it, and it was a lot of fun. I've been to C2 and C3, but finances will likely determine that I won't be able to go to C4 in LA this year. I used to collect all of the legos, but lately have been addicted to the minis, so have been spending the bulk of my SW money on that. And this year I'll be doing some costumes for dragon con, which will be fun. Hope to see you soon.

Doug

4. unihawk

unihawk Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2004
    Welcome to Iowa
    As DM CR I would like to welcome you to our boards. We are small but we try to keep SW a life in the area. As you can see we have a SW event going on this month in Cedar Rapids. Hothie and I went last year and it was a great time.

I'm into the minis as well but I also enjoy reading the EU books.

I'm a costumer by trade.(Theatre BA from UNI) I have a few SW costumes made so far- Jedi, Padme and I 'm work on a fun one now.(I'll post pic went I'm done. Waiting on a patch to come in the mail .Thanks to Dajuan for the idea.)

Feel free to stop by Jay's any sunday to meet with us and keep a eye out for our next monthly meeting, we should be back at Cup O' Krptonite on Mar.16th @ 7pm.

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Twas hothie's idea really, I'm just the grunt work :p But you should come to Dragon*Con to show them off with us! We'll be awesome :D

Someone remind me to change the header after the hockey game to reflect the next meeting time. I will actually be in town for that one! Yay for spring break :D

6. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    Hey Dajuann... you gonna whip these Iowa boys into shape? You gotta make them all get together the next time Gs and I are up in the neighborhood :D

7. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'll do my best!

8. lilorphanAni

lilorphanAni Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2007
    Hi all. :) I am brand new on this board, and fairly new to Iowa. I live in Iowa City, but since IC doesn't have a board... *sniffles* Oh well. I really want to meet SW fans here, because my coworkers are getting a little tired of watching the saga on the overheads a couple times a week. (I manage a video store)

So anyway, I'm excited to be here!

~A

9. hothie

Jun 12, 2004
    Hello, glad to have you on board. There are IC posters on here, but they are few and far between. Hopefully, these boards will be alive and kicking in a few months, when the Queen Nerd moves here (see above posts). Hope to see you soon! :D

Oh, and lilorphanani, your real name isn't "Randall" is it? :D (some people will get that one...:)

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Welcome Ani! I'm new to Iowa too (or will be very soon, I'm hothie's queen nerd [face_blush]). We'd be very happy to have you join us. Our meeting dates are on the Marquee at the top of the page. If you need an address let us know and we can help you out. Hope to see you soon!

Leave it to hothie to make the Clerk's joke :p

11. lilorphanAni

lilorphanAni Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2007
    Haha, hothie, you'd be surprised how often I quote Randall in my day to day life. Just today, for instance, his lament about the job being wonderful if it weren't for the... customers.

In any case, I will definitely try and make it on the 20th, since, dude, Cup O' Kryptonite is just a cool sounding place. I'll probably need directions for when I get off of 80, though, since I've never once been out to Des Moines in the entire time I've been in Iowa. *sigh* I am made of lame.

~A

12. hothie

Jun 12, 2004
    Directions to CoK:

Take 80 to I-235 south, towards downtown Des Moines. Take 235 to the Martin Luther King exit. Go to the 2nd stoplight and turn left. This will be MLK, but it turns into Fleur Drive. Take that south for maybe 10 minutes or so. There will be a Walgreens on your left, turn left there. If you go too far, you can turn at the Hy-Vee there, too. Cup O Kryptonite is in the little strip mall next to Great Clips, on the end. I'll try and post some street names soon, after I look them up...

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Hey everyone! I've been posting at TFN for a while, but I just decided to check out this part of the forums for the first time. I've been up in Ames for a while now and wanted to drop in and say hi. Hello.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Welcome! Hothie and I are in Ankeny, pretty close to Ames IIRC (just moved here so I don't know the area all that well). I think there is a FF meeting tonight at Cup O' Kryptonite in West Des Moines, 7pm. You should come :)

15. gandalfbmg

gandalfbmg Jedi Master star 2

May 16, 2002
    Sheesh, I'm in KC and even I know that Ankeny is just a short jaunt down I-35 from Ames... maybe 20 minutes? (pretty good time at typical Iowa distances between civilized areas :p )

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Yes but you've been visiting the area longer and lived here for a while I think :p

The meeting isn't tonight, that's DEMICon, sorry got my dates mixed up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.