main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Kyp Durron's approach morally right?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BOOSTERERRANT, Dec 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOOSTERERRANT

BOOSTERERRANT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2000
    The ends don't justify the means..so I say no.

2. CorranHalcyon

CorranHalcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2000
    I agree with you...but slow down your thread making. :)

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I think he is 100% right

4. CorranHalcyon

May 19, 2000
    You think Kyp's right or Booster's right?

5. Pellaeon69187

Pellaeon69187 Jedi Master star 5

Dec 28, 2000
    I think Kyp should have died with his Avengers

6. JayaandJasa

JayaandJasa Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2000
    Kyp is the most arrogent fool in the univers o'star wars. and he should have died with the avengers!

7. Djuva

Djuva Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 25, 2000
    Come on, Corran is arrogant too, but we wouldn't want him to die either, right? Kyp's approach is definitely wrong, but Luke should take care to not let the Jedi get between the fronts. What he is doing is very dangerous. More so than what Kyp does.

8. jedi_master_yoda7

jedi_master_yoda7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2000
    Kyp is wrong, let him die...

9. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    What do you mean morally right. This is a war. You have to kill the enemy to win a war. Was the plague they released morally right. It killed civilians. Kyp is talking about attacking the Vong's military. You can't win without attacking. Was it morally right of the Allies to attack Germany during World War II. What is this. It's a war. You have to fight back and attack.

10. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    That's right. But morals do have limits in war. Still, I don't thnk Kyp is right, morally, or any other way. Yes, you have to kill people in war, but if we would just go by that law, then the allies could have nuked Japan or Germany off the map. There are limitations. You want to save as many people as you can, but Kyp's view is similar to killing whoever might get in the way is fine. He's wrong, and needs to be set straight. The Vong need to be set straight, but we may just have to bide our time before we jump in.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 1999
    I think Kyp shoulda been put before the guillotine long before NJO, considering he killed trillions of Caridans, almost all civilians.

12. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    Kyp's view is to attack the Vong's military. He's not saying to set loose a plague that will kill all of the civilians and slaves. He wants to destroy the ships of the Vong and enough soldiers to make them run back into their own galaxy. That's not morally wrong. That's fighting to protect the civilians in your own galaxy and saving more lives. The Vong are the aggressors and the GFFA has to fight back and attack the Vong's MILITARY.

What do you want them to do? Sit back and try to defend planets with not enough warships to do it and watch as the Vong conquer them 1 by 1 never fighting back and attacking because it is morally wrong?

13. ArnaKyle

Nov 12, 2000
    I never said for them to sit back in their recliners, get a bowl of popcorn, and watch people die. The fact of the matter is, an invasion takes planning. It will take a lot more then Kyp's followers to get the Vong. Invasions take a lot of work, and since they have limited information on the Vong, maybe they should wait till they rush in trying to save the day. By waiting, I meant they shouldn't just sit there, but work on things to help plot an invasion. And besides, I don't think the Vong are really going to care if you kill a few of their guys. Their like the Japanese. They would send their guys on suicide missions if they had to. For whoever that female Vong was in BP, she certainly didn't think twice about slitting her throat. The Vong can't be taken out one by one. If we're going to take them down, then we'd better get them all at once.

14. Asyr Handor

Asyr Handor Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 11, 1999
    Kyp's approach is morally wrong, and yes it is war, but Jedi have to uphold very high morals in war or else face horrible consequenses both for themselves and the galaxy.

15. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    Ok, would someone please explain to me what you want them to do if you don't want them to fight the Vong?

I didn't say take them out 1 by 1. Take them out 1 planet by planet. The NR still has a pretty big military and the Empire, Hapans, Coporate Sector, and Chiss might help. They should be able to take back planets if they attacked.

16. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    I agree with Bullwinkle .Yours

17. CorranHalcyon

May 19, 2000
    The NR is not the Jedi. The Jedi have a different moral code to uphold, and Kyp is wrong. He should have been executed after his actions at Carida.

18. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    We're not talking about Carida here. Forget about it. In this discussion it is irrelevant.

Please explain to me the different moral codes. The Jedi are supposed to be the protectors of peace and justice, which is what the NR is supposed to provide for its citizens. When someone (The VONG) attacks and destroys planets and sets loose plagues the Jedi need to fight back. It is a war. Either the Jedi can help the NR (which is having problems of its own) fight the Vong by attacking and pushing them back or they can run off and hide behind illusions like the Fallanassi.

Kyp is saying that they must attack the Vong so that they can push the Vong back into their own galaxy, so that the Vong can't hurt anybody else. What is morally wrong about that?

19. ArnaKyle

Nov 12, 2000
    Well, I don't know about how the NR wants to execute their power to do with their citizens, but as for Kyp, I'm not really sure. I mean, if Corran felt he had to crawl into a corner of Corellia somewhere, and Kyp is still out doing what he wishes...*shrugs*. I don't really know, but I never really cared for Kyp Durron.

20. Jarik

Jun 21, 2000
    Corran had to hide out because he got a bad rap. He got screwed. He was unfairly described as the man who killed Ithor.

Kyp, however, is what the average citizen wants right now. A Jedi who will help them. A Jedi who will go out out, fight and attack the Vong, and push them out of this galaxy and back into theirs. Kyp is not treading the darside. That would be killing the Vong out of anger. He is fighting them to prevent them from killing more innocents. Remember whether you are using the light side or the dark side depends on your intent. Kyp's intent is to prevent the Vong from killing more people by attacking them and forcing them back into their own galaxy. I just don't see the wrongness.

21. RNolan

RNolan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2000
    It's not neccesarily the moral questioned so much as the character saying it .

Many people think Kyp is an intensely evil character and so find it hard to relate with him at all .

It is just to huge a thing to be irrelevant .Yours

22. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Sometimes the best offense is a good defense.
    Any semi-decent b-ball player will tell you that.

Kyp is perfectly right. If he weren't a Jedi. Jedi defend not attack. You can rationalize he's acting in defense of the people and I say that is BS. You need to attach a face or you culd easily say Kyp was attacking in ::defense:: of the New Republic when he took out Carida. The point is that for a Jedi attacking, except in some cases (there are always exceptions), is morally wrong. Kyp's philosophy of taking the fight to the Vong is morally wrong for that of a Jedi. If Kyp went the non-Jedi route ::completely:: and joined the military it would be fine.

23. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Former TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 5, 2000
    I think Kyp's approach is entirely morally justified. If we were talking about straight and honorable warfare here I would say absolutely not. But we aren't. The Vong are killing civilians and Kyp wants to attack their military presence. Attacking an armed military force to save an unarmed civilian force under attack by said military force is a moral and justifiable cause. Not attacking is what I would have a problem with...

24. ArnaKyle

Nov 12, 2000
    Well fine. If Kyp wants to try and take on the Vong by himself, then let him. It will make the galaxy a better place, at least on the part that it might get rid of one or two Vong, and most definately Kyp Durron.

25. JayaandJasa

JayaandJasa Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2000
    I think that Jarik isn't getting that the jedi do have morals and kyp is allready half way to the dark side if luke doesn't realise this then he needs to spend more time with all his students aspeshaly with the ones who hang out with kyp! I mean it and if he doesn't he's going to be in deep trouble!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.