main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

is there a way we can ignore certain users

Discussion in 'Communications' started by darth_boy, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I fully support this feature. :p

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'm with Roper on this one.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Some people can't help but respond or even lash out when a topic comes up/a person posts

Also it would be a huge burden off the mods. Any complaint about a person, response = "just put them on ignore" Then they have more time for other stuff

Online games, and especially MMORPGs, have perfected this technique and it seems to work.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    I use another forum which had an ignore feature for a while & it doesn't really work very well. The ignored users posts would still pop up in other people's replies that quoted them, plus threads stopped making much sense in some cases (often prompting me to 'un-ignore' the user, just to figure out what was going on). It doesn't stop hijackers at all.

shanerjedi & halibut, who are the mods on the TFN threads I frequent, are pretty damn good on banning the worst offenders anyway, without being vindictive about it.

5. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    actually thats part of the problem. part time mods who post once a month, and are completely out of touch with the vibe of a forum; ie usually blaming the wrong people

6. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    so you want to be able to ignore mods you don't like via software?

any ignore feature, mods are going to be immune

7. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Most mods here, even those who don't post much, are pretty in tune to their forum. An ignore feature has nothing to do with a moderator handling their forum.

8. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    This is a fairly inaccurate statement. But this thread is not about the modding of the JC, I will make that one later.

9. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    You were the one who brought up the point about moderating, not me. I didn't ignore you, and responded.

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    People's increasing dependence on electronical devices bugs me... you seriously need a button on a machine to ignore somebody for you?

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    No one "needs" it, it's just convenient.

Ignoring someone requires effort, effort I would rather not waste.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You simply see their username or icon and skip their post. It takes no effort, whatsoever. It turns into instinct. I don't have to remind myself to not stare directly into the sun or ponder how not to.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think it's clearly inadvisable on a slow-moving messageboard with threads that rely on people replying to one another and being at least somewhat able to keep up with the conversation. An ignore feature would only be useful on a high-traffic board overrun with a bunch of spammers and trolls.

14. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I agree with Darth_Guy on this issue.

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Same here. The logic behind considering implimenting a feature such as "ignore", I think, navigates toward D_G's outlook on our traffic flow. The Mods on here handle trolling effectively enough that there really aren't too many people left to ignore. I know I qualify as one, but you all have my idiocy schtick pretty well figured out. I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.