main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's a City, Not a Yo-Yo: Stargate Atlantis (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 10, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Since it seems the Into the Gate thread has been designated for SG-1, I figure might as well bite the bullet and make an Atlantis thread.

So here we have the first actual spin-off of the SG-1 continuity (as opposed to Stargate Infinity or Stargate 3000) and the middle show of the Sci-fi Friday lineup, it's storyline connecting and interweaving with seasons 8+ of SG-1.

One thing I've begun to notice is Atlantis, so far, has the tendancy to have rather mixed first halves of it's seasons, and apparently rather excellent second halves.
    Season 1 didn't really kick into gear until the awesome Storm two-parter, and built up to the great season finale.
    Following the cliffhanger resolution, Season 2 sorta wandered around in quality (much of that, IMO, having to due with the weak SuperFord plotline), but part 2 of the midseason two-parter was much better than the first part, and a string of episodes starting in a week or two look to be very solid, including things such as the Goa'uld, Carter, an Ancient outpost/tower, the Genii and the continuation of the retro-virus plotline.
    And "The Long Goodbye"'s premise ("two pods are discovered that contain the minds of alien beings, who take control of Weir and Sheppard's bodies to continue their personal war.) just sounds fun, in a Farscape kinda way.

Also, here's a link to the SGA thread in Amp.

I've also whipped up this little chart tracking the Wraith hive ship count as we start to make a dent in their little armada. http://www.denimfilms.com/shared/wraithassettracking.jpg

But of course, with exception to one episode, there is still only one true reason SGA is worth watching...

[image=http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/wallpapers/stargate/gilles_nuytens/stargate_atlantis_mckay_1024x768.jpg]

"Ah, yes. Leadership."

Mckay: "Doctor Fumbles McStupid over here was in way over his head!"
    Zelenka: "Yes, yes, *I* made a mistake trying to save *your* life. Now, do you want to try to fix it, or do you want to continue to berate me somewhat?"
    Mckay: "I'm perfectly capable of doing both at the same time."

Sheppard: "Any way to figure out what they're saying?"
    Mckay: "Yes, of course, it says right here: 'Why is the smart one having to stop and answer so many questions?'"

Sheppard: "How's it coming, Rodney?"
    Mckay: "Slower than I expected, but faster than humanly possible."

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As a heads-up for anyone Tivo'ing Atlantis tonight- Tivo mistakenly has tonight's episode, "Epiphany", labeled as a 2005 episode, even though it is a new episode, so Tivo won't record it (assuming you have "only first run" settings), thinking it's an old episode/rerun. So you have to manually set it tonight.

3. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I like Stargate: Atlantis when I first heard about it I thought it was going to be rubbish but it wasn't I was sad to see Ford leave if they had been bothered to write some interesting stuff they wouldn't have needed to get rid of him.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Heh, you're the last person that I'd expect to make a thread about Atlantis. :p

I've really enjoyed watching most of it, although I've missed occasional episodes.

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I like Atlantis a lot mainly because of McKay. The Wraith storyline IMO is boring as is the SuperFord who probably didn't die and will make yet another appearance.

But McKay is the highlight of the show and he made yet another great line last night.

"Remember if you experience anything promlematic step back through the portal."

"Promlematic?"

"Yes you know. Corrossive atmosphere, low atmosphere, no atmosphere. Hey its a MALP on a stick, only shows so much."

6. Warrior_of_Mandalore

Warrior_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I found the show to be rather disappointing. They really lack a good villain. Space vampires just don't cut it. The only reason I turn it on occasionally is for McKay. Or to kill time before Battlestar. ;)

Warrior_of_Mandalore Strikes Again!

7. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Fixed

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Heh, you're the last person that I'd expect to make a thread about Atlantis.<<

I'm not the one who edited "SG-1" into the other thread title ;)

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I certainly agree that Doctor McKay is by far the only reason to watch Stargate: Atlantis.
    There are other good characters as well, but as I write this, it does seem the scientific/medical types are more interesting than the others.

Wier alienated me very early on as a bully; that pony-tailed scientist - Dr. Cavanaugh(?) - that complained about oher in the messages home Season One episode Letters from Pegasus had everything right.

Although I have not been able to see much of Season Two beyond the conclusion to the Seige, I find welcome additions in the form of X-Files's Mitch Pileggi as the Daedalus commander, and the Asgard Hermiod.

The latter purely for this exchange with Mackay on their first Daedalus trip back to Earth:

Mckay - Oh crap.

Hermiod - What have you found?

McKay - I think, a Wraith virus.

Hermiod - Crap, indeed.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, Hermiod is great- an Asgard with a sailor's tongue, lol.

11. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Fixed

No it is not. It's "problematic".

12. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Hehe, Hermiod is really funny.

I really like Mitch Pileggi as the commander of the Daedalus - does a great job.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tey'la can sing!

That was a very good episode tonight. I just wished they had explained how the Goa'uld got to him.

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    It's wierd how endearing McKay's snotty attitude is, in Atlantis.

Seems the same as when he first appeared in SG-1 when we first saw him, and he was just out of Area 51 and Teal'c was stuck in the stargate buffer.

Now, seeing him using exactly the same charms to deflect stupid questions from the likes of the Daedalus commander such as the thread title "It's a City, Not a Yo-Yo: Stargate Atlantis" - fantastic.

15. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    This is something I don't get. If a Go'auld can still control a host without changing their voice then why don't they do that more often? Its always seemed like the only time a hosts voice is normal is when the host is speaking and not the snake.

I do hope Caldwell survives that operation and I was surprised as hell to find out it was the Col.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There have been a few xamples of a snake talking normal to fool people into thinking it's the host- Tanith, Jolinar-Carter and even Kawalsky all did that.

Generally, I think they prefer to talk with the boom-voice, as it makes them seem superior and more god-like (the latter obviously more useful to their scam). They have big egos and all that.

17. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    That was one of the better episodes of season II. A little Dune, a little Oz, a little Farscape, but thoroughly entertaining.

Its honestly one of the first ones that I've seen since after the mid-season break but then again it was one of the only ones that looked interesting enough from the trailer to watch.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The second half of the season has, so far, been a definite improvement over the first.

19. Honor_And_Liberty

Honor_And_Liberty Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2005
    Agreed.

20. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Well maybe I'll have to go back and watch some of those episodes I TiVo'd but never bothered to watch.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tonight's ep was pretty solid, I really liked the followup to issues regarding Caldwell's Goa'uld situation.

22. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Which I knew nothing about.

It was a good episode. I'm sure the actors like those kind of episodes but it can get a little old sometimes. Weir was kicking **** though.

Next weeks looks good. The Geni are always good for a laugh or two.

23. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    The only good thing I liked about last nights episode was Caldwell. I'm not to fond of the "bodies being taken over" plot when its not Go'auld related. I was hoping that Shephard was going to kill Weir.

I just don't like that character for some reason.

24. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Wow I totaly disagree with you, I thought weir kicked ASS in that episode, and I really like her charcter, the only problem I had is that the trailers throughout the season were showing them kissing, making me assume they would get together, and that is all it was. But yeah very good episode IMO

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    When I first read the premise of last night's episode, it sounded almost Farscape in nature- Crackers Don't Matter, with John and Aeryn trying to blast the hell out of each other and all. This episode wasn't quite as fun, as they took a more serious approach to the idea, which payed off very well with the Caldwell stuff. It also plays well into SGA's tendancy to be a geneally darker show than SG-1 (though Season 9 might be raising it's game to that level as well).