main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's a City, Not a Yo-Yo: Stargate Atlantis (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 10, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Funny coincidence- was digging out a tape to save something from my Tivo, and while skimming the tape to make sure i wasn' taping over anything important, i discovered there was an SG-1 episode on there- the episode dealing with Loki. Given the connection, at least motivationally, between him and these off-shoots, that's just weird timing.

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Lost Tribe pulled in the best raings this season so far up to 1.5, from the previous 3-way tie of 1.3, and up .4 from part 1.

I suspect some of this has to do with the timeslot change to 9PM, but, still, considering that SGA's actual viewership tends to increase by more than a third after DVR viewings are factored in.

Still, it's a shame the show would perform so well and yet still be cancelled. I wonder if it continues to do well if it has a shot at changing SFC's minds? I can't imagine SFC wouldn't be happy at the prospect of an SGA/SGU/Sanctuary sci-friday lineup, if only for one more season. It's unlikely to be a decision that is reversed, but since the sets aren't being struck down, the show might have a slight advantage over other shows in a similar position- they'd only be limited by cast & crew contract deadlines for renewal.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Surprisingly good episode- the whole "villager betrays them to the bad guys" aspect shown in the previews had me worried, but there was a good depth to things- though I wish more had been done on the effect the aftermath of killing those guys had on the village leader. Beckett and Rodney were also good.

Also, Ronon headshot= oof!

"The best season of SGA" may just be SFC's marketing tagline, but so far I'm inclined to agree with it- this has been the best season since Season 1 by far.

4. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    My head was spinning from all the betrayals going down lol! Really good ep.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Tonight's episode was really quite good- though more of a clipshow than I would have preferred. Hopefully, like the best clipshows of SG-1 & SGA, it'll mean it's setting up something major for season's end.

Woolsey really came into his own here- that ending conversation with him and Shep was perfect.

Also, the bit at the start was funny, given Picardo's credits:

Woolsey: "Think of it as, let's say, a Federation."
    McKay: "The Federation had ships."

[face_laugh]

6. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    Was i the only to pick up the boston legal homage at the end of the episode?

7. Earthknight

Earthknight Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Guys, I got a quick question. What seasons had Larrin in it? Because I remember watching the episodes that featured Larrin and Shepard and loving them( those two had great chemistry).

8. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Episodes 4x05 and 4x11. Travelers and Be All My Sins Remember'd, respectively. Shame she hasn't popped up since.

9. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    Yeah. Because even though she only appeared for a few episodes, I thought she was one of the coolest, most kicka** female characters on the show. Too bad they couldn't have made her regular.

10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I was about to question what you meant, but then I realised 'ah yes, the cigars!'

11. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    So I was backtracking through an old thread when I came across some postings by Excellence concerning the final episode of SG-1

:eek:

If you'd like to see the conversation in full:

http://boards.theforce.net/science_fiction_and_fantasy_films_and_television/b10748/23123416/p18/

12. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
  13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I hope they bring her back by the end of the show.

14. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Honestly, I'd rather see Cadman again than her, though I don't think we'll be seeing either of them again during the season.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Looks like the series finale, Enemy at the Gates, is scheduled to air January 9th. Seems like SG-1 only ended yesterday and here we are saying "farewell" to SGA in it's prime and at it's peak.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, now, that was definitely one of the best episodes of the series. Michael's story is over, it seems (sure, they could tweak some kind of way to rescind it and say he survives, but there was no overt indication that's the case, ie: "we never found a body", and given the nature of the confrontation, I think it's safe to say he's done and dead).

The whole retaking of the tower was fantastic, with everyone doing their part (including Banks in a "who the heck is this chick who'll probably never get fleshed out more now that the series is ending?" moment), not to mention a semi-new tactical use of the Stargate itself. This is one element of SGA that SGU will never be able to do (at least not so long as they're cut off from Earth)- it won't be able to do large-scale tactical strike team sequences like this.

Gotta love the "that was two years ago" comments on the flooded jumper bay, as well as the "stun bubble" exchange between Radek and Rodney which was note-perfect. The RC car races were really amusing too, great little "down time" character moments.

Also kudos on the music- especially during the final fight outside the tower. I hope they'll start doing at least seasonal soundtrack releases sometime soon!

Ya know, SFC, it'd be real swell if you just, ya know, changd your mind and gave the show one last season...

17. emerald54

emerald54 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 4, 2007
    It's sad to see Michel go. Of coarse I felt the same way about Anubis, so that's not saying much. I didn't get to see the episode, but I had an feeling that Michal was going to be biting the dust. SGU... aimed at younger audiances. The Bold, the Beautiful, and the Stargate, anyone?

Emerald

18. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I enjoyed last night's episode also. The mains are really good together, i really like rodney and shepard and ireally liked ronan and wolsey as well.

19. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    When Ronan said, "I counted so and so but they all had to fit inside the jumper," and Woolsey responded with "we don't know how many people could have come through the gate afterwards!" I annoyedly commented on the lack of a destroyed Jumper. I mean, yes, they could have moved the Jumper and then put it back down again, but it'd make more sense to have it facing the gate for leaving if they'd done that.

That doesn't seem like the kind of thing he'd miss. (my girlfriend agreed, but tallied it to him just having recently gotten stunned.)

Quite an enjoyable episode, other than that for me. (Though I was also a little put off by Shepard doing seemingly better against Michael in hand to hand than Ronan. Oh well.)

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, to be fair, when Ronon fought him, Michael was at full health- when Shep fought him, Michale had already taken a couple rounds.

21. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    That helps :p Thanks.

22. Earthknight

Oct 3, 2002
    It's so sad this show is leaving :( . And hearing the descriptions of SGU makes me even more sad that this show is leaving. But at least we're going to get some SGA movies :D .

23. emerald54

Apr 4, 2007
    Colour me a pessimist, but I'm not sure how well those will turn out. I hope they'll be able to bring in Beckett, Zelenka, maybe even Carter, because that's what I like best about the show. The characters in the background are the best to me.

But then again, if I had my way, we'd be getting a sixth season as well.:D

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I just hope they don't overlook the smaller stories during these movies. Having something big-big like Continuum is great, but surely there's room to add an extra 15-20 min of smaller subplots so we can get stuff like McKay and Shep racing RC cars, Woolsey sipping wine in a suit and characters having downtime. As you say, allow the supporting characters to still get a little bit of time like Zelenka and Lorne- be able to develop characters like Banks who could be more than one-offs.

...THEN add in a protracted dart/302 dogfight melee with the Daedalus popping cruisers with Asgard beams for flavor :cool: ;)

25. emerald54

Apr 4, 2007
    Oh, but of coarse. That whole fight between the hybrids and Banks made me want to turn to my friends and say "See? And you make fun of my kickboxing class." Sadly, they where busy when I finally saw the episode. Sigh. I guess you can't have everything.:p