main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's a City, Not a Yo-Yo: Stargate Atlantis (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 10, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As a followup, rewatching the end of the episode for the 7th time, during that final fight Shep actually grabs onto Michael's wounded arm to cause him some pain briefly.

2. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I totally thought the RC cars in the beginning were introduced so they would end up being used to defeat the bad guys. Then I remembered this wasn't MacGyver.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Decent episode- The premise became a little obvious part way through and the reveal was a bit heavy-handed in psycho analysis, but who cares? More Kolya!

Atlantis finale week is ALL Atlantis

It's going to be "all Atlantis, all the time" for the SCI FI Channel, which will bid farewell to one of its longest-running, signature shows on Friday, January 9. The cable network will run all-day marathons every day of the week leading up to the final episode, according to SciFi.com.

The first marathon is scheduled for Friday, January 2 from 8 a.m. through 3 a.m., with the exception of two hours set aside for Sanctuary (10 p.m. and 12 a.m.). This includes the first new episode to follow the holiday break, when "Vegas" is expected to make its U.S. debut at 9 p.m. (8 Central).

Four 11-hour marathons will air the following week, from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

On Friday, January 9, a 13-hour Atlantis marathon leads up to the premiere of the final episode of the television series, "Enemy At the Gate," at 9 p.m. (8 Central). Another two episodes will air at 1 a.m. and 2 a.m.

All times are Eastern and Pacific.

The network hasn't announced just what episodes it will be airing in the marathons yet, but with some 75 hours scheduled (excluding repeats of "Vegas" and "Enemy At the Gate"), it is going to make it through most of the 100-episode series. The network may have to skip Season Four due to rights issues, since those 20 episodes are currently airing in the U.S. syndication market.

4. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Indeed, Quest. Any Kolya is good, although it made me kind of sad. I always thought that killing him off was a really stupid way to go. He was such a cool villain.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He had to die eventually- there's no way he and Shep would come to terms and not try killing each other if given the chance. Kolya's threatened and brutalized Atlantis too often and SHep has killed somewhere in the neighborhood of, what? 60 of his men? At least a dozen or two at once with the gate shield in season 1?

6. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

They still haven't showed the 4th season of Atlantis here yet? Where the city launches into space to escape the Asuran orbital beam.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Are you talking AU or US? They've aired in the US, but the previous year always goes off Sci-Fi immediately to syndication for a year or so before SFC can rerun it.

That happened to me when I was catching up on SG-1 when they'd show 4 epsiodes of SG-1 every monday. I'd be watching 6+ on fridays, then 1-4 on mondays- then was dissapointed when the season 4 cliffhanger was follwoed by Children of the Gods part 1 :p

Season 5 ended up being the first season I got on DVD because of that.

8. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002
    I'm Aussie, so "here" is always Aust.

9. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Ex, S4 hasn't shown here, although it is out on DVD.

The lack of any reasonable viewing schedule has meant that I just download this (among other shows).

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's what i figured, but had to check.

11. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I'm outraged they cut off Galactica midway thru season 2 the other year. Then it came back on but only for high definition channel 10. I'm not savvy to spend a fortune on DVD boxsets. I bet Atlantis will return at the "usual" 11.30pm slot, righrt where all the prono dating ads come on. It's most annoying.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    'Nother good episode- Bill Nye & Neil DeGrasse Tyson were fun to have on the show. Dave Foley was good too- especially in the scene where Rodney breaks down where the work came from, looks like he has some subtle dramamtic acting chops. he's certainly aged noticably though- has it been that long since News Radio?

Also there's a bit of an amusing coincidence with the whole private jet jokes, given the hoo-ha over the past day or so about the auto execs using pribvate jets to fly to washington to ask for a bailout.

13. FamousAmos

FamousAmos VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 9, 2003
    Tonight's episode was pretty entertaining, but anything that features Rodney always entertains me :p Keller's story about her "Uncle George" was a nice reference to George Carlin, but the delivery kinda made me cringe, regardless. Also, I was really bugged that as soon as they collapsed the bridge, the storm evaporated. Because that's what would happen :rolleyes: Still, an enjoyable episode.

14. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I really enjoyed this episode. It was clever, funny and had Jewel Staite in a low-cut top. What's not to like?

On a related note, for the first time ever I'm jealous of David Hewlett...

Also, dunno if this has been mentioned, but I just saw this on Gateworld. What a bastard! First, he's an idiot for picking a fight with Jason Momoa and secondly he's a coward for smashing a glass round his face. 140 stitches and reconstructive surgery. Hopefully he'll be fine and back rocking the dreads in the Atlantis movie soon.

15. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Totally loved the Firefly EE when Rodney & Keller were on the Jet & Keller talked about how good the Strawberries were... :p

[image=http://jewelstaite.com/wp-content/gallery/store/strawberry_1.jpg]

16. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Okay, so I might have just ... acquired copies of both Vegas and Enemy at the Gates.

Major spoilers in what follows, though if some people want a non-spoilery version I'll write it up in the morning. Also, I left a few little details out that I think are better to find out as they happen, but are good little character moments, or nice touches on previous episodes/continuity.

Vegas: Nice little riff on CSI and shows of its ilk here. We get Shepard as a Vegas detective investigating the murder and dumping of eight bodies in the desert that all look like dried out husks. As the show progresses we get Keller as a pathologist and Wolsley as an FBI agent until the set-up is revealed with the entrance of a version of Dr McKay that we've seen before. We find out this is his reality and that a Wraith hive made it to Earth, with one surviving a crash landing and now trying to send a subspace message back to Pegasus. While that doesn't happen, the message does bleed across to other realities due to the massive surge of power required to send the signal. It's a great little character study into Shepard as we get to see what happens to him if the rescue in Afghanistan didn't work out as it did.

Enemy at the Gates: Todd returns again after being betrayed by one of his scientists. Seems that not all of the Asuran ZPMs were at his destroyed cloning lab, and now we have a super-hive ship that could eventually become unstoppable. In trying to destroy it, the Daedalus is damaged but not destroyed when the hive ship suddenly jumps out. Why? With their new-and-improved sensors they seemed to have picked up a certain message and left for better feeding grounds. In trying to intercept before it leaves the Pegasus galaxy the Sun Tzu is destroyed, and the Apollo also badly damaged, leaving only one more vessel that could head to Earth and take out the hive ship - Atlantis itself (Odyssey is off on special assignment). With the last 2 of Todd's ZPMs Carson flies Atlantis back to Earth while Shepard gates back to work with Sam and Major Davis on defending Earth. Long story short, the Ancient chair was moved to Area 51 (it breached the Antarctic Non-Proliferation Treaty, and I've been waiting for that to be acknowledged) and gets destroyed by the Wraith. Shepard attempts a suicide mission with a 302 and a nuke; Lorne joins the rest of SGA1 when they find they can gate into the hive ship to do damage their way; and Atlantis makes it back to Earth in time with the assistance of a wormhole-drive. The hive ship is destroyed but in the process Atlantis is too damaged to stop itself from entering Earth's atmosphere. It makes it's final rest in San Fransisco Bay (with the assistance of the cloaking shield). In addition to Sam, Davis, Carson and Todd, we get Caldwell and all the Daedalus crew; Ellis from the Apollo; Cavanagh; Walter; and Banks in the control room as well as featuring in the final scenes as she has formed a relationship with one of the main cast. No Jack or SG1, and Landry is at Washington heading up the task force about this. No Hammond, but that's because we find that the new Daedalus-class ship 'Phoenix' (Sam's next assignment) is going to be renamed the 'General Hammond' (sudden heart attack).

Not a bad way to end it all and leave things open for further adventures.

17. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    All I wanna know is are the two episodes linked in any way and are they good?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ooh, thanks for the details, Dingo- sound neat.

And yeah, from what I've read, they are linked- in Vegas, the AU wraith send out a singal that arrives in our universe in EATG, telling the Wraith where Earth is.

19. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    Just watched the last two episodes and they're really very good. Vegas is great fun and Enemy at the Gate is a lovey end to the series.

The naming of the next Earth ship as the General Hammond was a really touching moment, as was Carters and Sheppards talk about him. Something for the fleet junkies though, this new ship which sounded something like 'Sayura'. Hopefully it survived along with the Apollo after it took on the Hive Ship, but it certainly didn't sound promising. Still, hopefully it'll turn up along with the General Hammond in future movies, or even in SGU.

20. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    Quest has it right with the Vegas connection.

Mustafar, what you heard was "Sun Tzu" which I'm guessing was a placation to the Chinese.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One thing seems a little odd to me- Usually, when they name a ship after someone, even someone in the military, don't they usually name it after the person's name and not their rank? Shouldn't the ship be called the George Hammond? i mean, the one US carrier is the Ronald Reagan, not President Reagan.

22. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    That might well be a cock up on my behalf. It may well be the George Hammond. I knew it was G-something Hammond.

23. Dingo

Apr 23, 2001
    I had a listen a few times, it's clearly 'General'.

24. Mustafar_66

May 20, 2005
    I was just watching the very first Atlantis episode. Out of curiousity, how many people forgot the Wraith could do those misty illusion things? I know I certainly did. Wonder why it never got utilised in later seasons...

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good observation- yeah, that seems to be an ability that fell by the wayside as the series progressed.