main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON It's an Outrage!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Outcast191, Nov 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outcast191

Outcast191 Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2002

It's an outrage I tell you an Outrage! Read the following report I pulled from the Movie guide produced by the Toronto Star and ask your self what kind of world it is when this sort of thing is published material! Sure TMP wasn't the greatest movie of all time but AOTC certainly contested that spot! I say this guy Norman Wilner is going to have alot of unhappy feedback on this artical...

"Twentieth Century Fox and New Line Cinema Home Entertainment go head to head with competing DVD packages this tuesday, and whoever ends up on top, it's the movie geeks who'll be the biggest winners. Fox is deputing a feature packed special addition of Star Wars: Episode ll - Attack of the Clones in record time , hoping to turn George Lucas' $300 million-grossing disappointment into a home-video juggernaut for the holidays, whileNew Line cinema is bowing a special edition of Peter Jackson's heavily anticipated expanded cut of The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring. The timing is interesting; it would have been fairly easy for one studio to get out of the others way, but evidently they both wanted a showdown. I suspect the Hobbits will kick some serious Jedi ass, but that's probably because I liked Jackson's movie alot more than I liked Lucas'. Really all the supplimental material in the universe can't make Attack of the Clones any better. It's still a terrible movie - an improvement over The Phantom Menace, sure, but still just about the dullest space fantasy ever put on a screen. I mean this is what it comes down to. For all the digital effects and elaborate sets (which were also digital effects) and the grand vision (of, um, digital effects), George Lucas found a way to make some really terrific actors - including Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, Natalie Portman, Temuera Morrison and Christopher Lee, who also appears in The Fellowship of The Ring, in a role remarkable similar to his clones turncoat - into wooden action figures who spend scene after scene mired in pointless recitation of a plot that ultimately doesn't matter. The clones never attack. The romantic subplot is risible and the thing with Yoda fighting is just ridiculous.......... Then he goes on and on about the supplements."

.....You see?! This can not be stood for! How can this obviously desperate writer (Craving for attention by bashing one of the greatest movies of all time!) be allowed to insult Mr. Lucas' visions like this! I am going to give him a piece of my mind (via E-mail), and I hope the others that read this will do the same! If anyone does wish to stand against this so-called writer with me his E-mail is norm@wilnervision.com

(Wilnervision eh? I give him vision alright!!)

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Yeah, I read the same thing.

I'm sorry that he really isn't giving the movie a real chance. I think several reviewers were made to look bad when they gave glowing reviews to The Phantom Menace.

Lets face it, TPM has some problems, in context with the other 5 movies it may work but as a stand alone it leaves some things to be desired.

So the reviewers gave TPM glorious reviews and then looked bad when people told them the movie wasn't that good.

So here comes AOTC. Arguably a much stronger movie.. what happens? The reviewers stick it back to George and pan it, without giving it a chance.

Bad dialogue? Sure! Tell me one Star Wars movie with Oscar-worthy writing in it. Cheesy? You betcha, its a tribute to 1950's era serials, its the fromage du cheese, but its also fun! Thats all that matters.

I really don't want to pick an "all time fave Star Wars movie" until after I've seen Episode 3, and even then after I see it several times so I can place it in some real context.

Even so, my initial reaction to AOTC was somewhat muted, it was better than TPM in some ways, but it just seemed to missing something. The same feeling I had in 1980 after watching Empire for the 1st time. Of course most fans tend to think of Empire as the better of the original trilogy.

I've seen AOTC several times now (well over a dozen) and the DVD release on Tuesday will give me more chances. One thing I've noticed.. it grows on you, just like Empire. You notice more of the subtle plot points, the delicate humour.

I think its a real shame most reviewers don't have the opportunity to watch a movie a few times before making a call. I think when all is said and done, and all 6 movies are finished and we all seen them a hundred times on DVD that AOTC will stand up as one of the stronger movies of the series, and one of the better space fantasy movies made.

So let him have his review now, like the reviewers who panned Star Wars back in 1977, he'll look foolish for his short sightedness and his reactionary, close-minded, views. Time is on our side.

3. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I recall hearing (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that due to something stupid some Toronto Star reporter or the Star itself did around Episode I the Star got blacklisted by Lucasfilm and since then they've done nothing but bad-mouth Star Wars.

4. Jedi_Sheridan

Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    I am really annoyed when someone unfairly bashes Star Wars. but lets just step outside our own attachemnt for a second. First its a movie and to get that upset is a little obsessive. Second the author is allowed to state what he feels. Third there is a strange disposition that Star Wars is geeky, cliche, out of date, and the latest enstalments are nothing more then money making. Its unfortunate, but its true.

5. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    It`s all a matter of opinion...film is art. Some will like it, and some won`t.

These people are paid for their opinions...it dosen`t mean they are right...just not of like mind with us.

6. atomik

atomik Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2001
    Thankyou for posting this "critics" email. [face_devil]

7. z_e_r_o163

z_e_r_o163 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2003
    ok first i want to say that star wars is better then lord of the rings (movies) because at least Lucas can come up with an Orignal idea, and not base a movie off some Books.

UPDATE!

I just sent my angry email

8. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

You have a good point there. Star Wars is completly orignal! Yet George Lucas did say he was inspired by Tolkin, with his univerce of such backstory.
    Lord of the Rings itself is a great book, the movies are great eyecandy, yet Lord of the Rings and Star Wars cant compare. They're way to different in my oppinon. Lord of the Rings is more based on the Earth, while Star Wars is based on the planets, technology, and on some basis, I suppose Earth, or at least the history.
    Lord of the Rings was the first of it's kind, book wise. Star Wars is the first of it's kind, movie wise.... alright, I'm going on about similaities.. awell. I just don't think the two compare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.