main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm in a dull conference call but I have to pay a little bit of attention while I post here and surf the web [face_cow]

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The waiters & waitresses at TGI Friday's (the one closest to my work) are way too damn chatty.

Viva Los Angeles![face_flag]

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    *Sigh*, laundry just for socks? I think I'll just run out and buy new ones.

4. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I forgot to make a thread about 15,000 posts.

5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    The artsy pretentious coffee shop I am in looks really cool but has few practical places to sit, and 0 comfortable places to sit. :-(

6. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    I have to help my father pick out a new surround sound system tomorrow. As a reward for my help he's gonna buy me the SW Blu-Rays, provided I watch them with him and his favorite grandchildren (my sons).

Actually, this is going to be an awesome weekend and is therefore not a problem at all.

Also I've been offered a job as an airbrush artist at a local bike shop.

Also my divorce will be final next week.

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm really tired but am in a conference room all day so I have to pretend to work instead of just not working.

8. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Just got a notice last night that the main slab pipe in my apartment will be replaced next week. May have to stay in a motel for 3 or 4 days as there will be no water at all for 3 or 4 days! The letter was dated 9/6/11, but the manager just gave it to me yesterday!!!

The bathroom in the pool area will be open for those who wish to stay in their apartments and a vacant apartment will be set aside for those who need to shower, etc., before going to work. Getting a hotel room will be easier.

We will get credit of our rent per diem if we choose to go to a hotel. But, really, the manager should have given us the notice when she first wrote the letter!!!

9. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    What exactly do you think a "first world problem" is?

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Megavideo's time limit is pure FASCISM.

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Today, I couldn't find the frozen pizza I like. FML

12. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Well, it's not like I live in a mud hut someplace. This is a first world country, we're never supposed to be out of hot and cold running water!

And, to top it off, my fax machine just broke. The toner cartridge was defective and the toner film tore!

So, no faxes today. I'll just get tons of emailed travel permits to approve and scan and email back. I don't know how the scanner works, exactly, either.

13. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    okay, and people in developing nations are supposed to be without water? I really cannot wrap my mind around characterizing not having access to water as a "first-world problem," if that qualifies then what on earth doesn't?

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    living in a mud hut apparently.

15. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Most people in third world countries do not have easy access to water. They have to get it from a well or a river and carry it home. Most do not have indoor plumbing, at least as far as I know.

16. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Exactly

Lack of access to water is not a first world problem. It's a problem for everyone.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Access to water wouldn't be an issue if the Roman Empire were still around.

Just sayin'

18. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Yeah, their aqueducts were fantastic! But, I did post about my fax machine breaking. That's a first world problem, I hope.

Just found out the office manager went on vacation without ordering more fax machine toner! How dare she take her honeymoon without ordering more!

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm not sure having the water turned off at your apartment complex really qualifies as a problem of access to fresh water. In the first place, it's temporary. In the second, she has several other easily available, affordable alternatives for getting fresh water. In the third place, free access to freshwater is already being offered as an on-site alternative, albeit only a few hundred yards away from her customary spot, and with more shared usage. In the fourth, she is receiving receiving credit for the cost of expenses necessary to compensate for her inconvenience.

Given that none of these are true of places where there are actually problems with finding safe drinking water, I'd say that treating the two as if they were equivalent is very much in line with the spirit of this thread.

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Jabba,

If there's no hot water in my apartment, I could go to the vacant apartment with my tote bag of clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, facial cleanser, etc. and pray that no one else is showering at the same time or that there isn't a long line of people waiting to use the facilities. And that I didn't forget something important.

And what if I have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night?

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I absolutely agree that it's inconvenient. My point is that is very much, as you originally suggested, a "first world" sort of inconvenience.

22. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    The idea of a "first world problem" is something that is a "problem" that people would only encounter in a well developed, industrial context. "I have to wade through a bunch of beezel and darth_boy threads," or "I can never remember which of my iPhones has Tweetdeck installed on it."

The mitigating factors you listed aren't part of the problem, they're mitigating factors that exist because she lives in a developed nation, but they're not part of THE PROBLEM. The problem itself is that her usual water source is unavailable and she's displaced because of that. That's something that people experience in underdeveloped or undeveloped nations constantly. To characterize it as a "first world problem" implies - as Sami J did a few posts ago - that people in undeveloped nations are "supposed" to have trouble accessing water and that it isn't a "problem" for them because they're so used to it.

23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Well, I mention about the fax machine breaking. Now I have to learn how to use the scanner. That's definitely a 'first' world problem.

24. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Sure, those are. I'm not talking about those, am I?

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You should post about how somebody is taking you to task over a post on an internet forum. That's a first world problem.