main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jaina Solo Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kit_Kat, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelAllianceBarbie

RebelAllianceBarbie Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2007
    Haha I think you're right, I'm always like "I LOOK JUST LIKE JAINA!" But I'm obviously not the only one! It's tough because right now there is no "real Jaina" to base stuff off of. So the look is so flexible. I am scary uncanny next to some pictures, and very different next to others.

Anyways, on the subject of the costume:

For the NEGTC costume, what did people use for the hair? I got a lot of 5 hairbands that have braided hair of different natural colors, and it looks amazing. I can point you in the direction of where I got it if you're interested, they're about $12 + shipping and they're well worth it.

BTW, are any of you going to NY comic con? If so, I'd love to meet up and talk Jaina costuming, since at my base all I ever get to discuss is Padme! And I debut my costume at comic con, exactly a week from today.

2. larame_kaine

larame_kaine Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2005
    Thats what I was going to do for the hair, those braided headbands you can buy. It LOOKS like she has three braids, but its hard to tell because of the angle of the picture. I just cut my hair to the same cut as the Japanese cover of Reunion so I may just stick with that cut for all the costumes, though I would like to have the hair match the costume. I had the long straight hair but I had previously dyed it black so it was taking too long to get the dye out so I had to cut a big chunk of it off. I would go with the hair bands, or just get a wig and sew the hair in how you want it. I think the hairbands will be easier. =X

You could do these kind....http://www.todaystylist.com/LL_fall_headband_100.htm

Or these kind... (Which have a little piece of elastic underneath and go all the way around...)
    http://www.todaystylist.com/LL_fall_headband_100.htm

-Larame

3. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Lol the artist had no idea what a braid looks like. It really looks like one and a half if you look closely. So I'm going under the assumption that it's just one but that's probably wrong.

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I made the first rough mockup to redo my Reunion tunic with a different pattern this weekend, to test for size and whether the pattern would work. Unfortunately the size 8 that I made was too small... which is ironic, since the last time I made a top, that pattern's size 8 was too big! Ah, well, that's why we do mockups.

5. PrincessSolo

PrincessSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2003
    Woo headbands!! I'm always looking for that. my friend and I just braid the underpart of our hair and wrap it up...but her hair is down to her rear so she gets great looking braids and I don't as much XD But I've been looking for a place that sells braided headbands forever! My hair extension place doesn't sell them anymore :\

~Princess Solo

6. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Just google 'braided headbands' or 'braided hairbands' you'll get a ton of stuff, some cheaper than others. Glad it helped. If I hadnt chopped my hair off I would be able to pull it off. >_< But I was going to try and go for the later NJO/LOTF era Jaina. But I really wanted the braids with the NEGTC costume. I hate having to make decisions. >=O

-Larame

7. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    I got my bracers today for my NEGTC Jaina-they rock! My friend Ashton, the leatherworker who did my belt, said "I hate these bracers enough as it is, they're too plain, it will KILL me to make the attachment at the bottom plain." So he punched the New Republic symbol into each of the bottom attachments. :D He did an incredible job, and they're stiff so they hurt a little and feel REAL, not costumey, I adore them already. He charged me $45 for the two of them.

I'm getting fitted for the tunic and obi tomorrow, and driving to NYC the morning after. [face_worried] Cutting it just a little too close...I'll bring back pictures! (I'd post pictures of the bracers but I can't find my camera cable.)

8. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    That sounds awesome! I cant wait to see the pics. I have to order another piece of leather, cause I dont have enough to do the belt. I have my belt for my reunion costume cut, so now I just have to dye it tonight. My father in law has my buckles and will have them cut to the right shape by the end of the week. Then I'm going to have a leatherworker friend attach everything and put the snaps on. I'm cutting it kind of close too, my local FF is having a mini-con march 3rd and I'm still not done!

Have fun in New York!

-Larame

9. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    Wow, all of this leatherwork, bracers and belts, sounds really impressive! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures. :)

10. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah I am too! Early on in doing my costume I had thought of doing the wrist things as bracers...but I guess I just never interpretated them as being made of leather. It makes sense, but because they were the same color as some of the fabric parts, I took it to be made of fabric. Heck, a friend and I debated for awhile on whether it wasn't just part of a long sleeve from an undertunic we couldn't see.

~Princess Solo

11. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    I wonder how sore R A Barbie's wrists got, wearing a pair of newly made, stiff leather bracers for the first time.

I had made myself a set for my generic Jedi costume before Return of the Sith came out. Even though I thinned the leather out on the inside of the wrists, and worked to soften the leather and wear it in by bending it outward manually, my wrists were still very sore after wearing my bracers for a few hours.

They are more broken in by now, but they still hurt if I try to wear them all day long.

12. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Lets just say that after swinging my new Jaina saber around all sunday...the tops of my hands are absolutely raw. And scabby. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!

[image=http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o37/TK6872/IMG_0131-1.jpg]

[image=http://www.alderaanbase.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5760&g2_serialNumber=2]

That's jaina v1.0! The saber is actually violet, but the lighting made it look blue. Still a work in progress. And I wasn't having a very "I look like Jaina" day lol.

I'll post more later, there are even better ones to come! (If people don't mind seeing me over and over lol)

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    That's incredible! Great work :D

14. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    It looks great! I really like the bracers, I think they add something to the costume. I was thinking that when I made mine I would made a small slit in the leather where the wrist bends, and then fill it with some kind of flexible gum or glue so that it will bend at the wrist but wont tear more than I want it to, so I can move my wrist. ^_^

Also, I need some professional Jaina opinions...My belt for my Refugee costume is almost done...
    http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_books.asp?books=books/bookcovers/jpn/images/refugee.jpg

On this costume (Refugee) it looks like there is only one buckle on the front and then the things on the sides are food capsules.... But since it is the same costume as the Reunion cover...
    http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_books.asp?books=books/bookcovers/jpn/images/reunion.jpg

Only this one is in green, I thought the belts would be the same...but in the green it looks like the belt has three buckles. I think for REFUGEE I'm going to go with one buckle and food capsules. If I did the green I may make a separate belt, cause I think the belt from REUNION and DESTINY's WAY
    http://www.theforce.net/image_popup/image_popup_books.asp?books=books/bookcovers/jpn/images/destinysway.jpg

Are the same.

I am looking Waaaaaaaay to much into this arent I? ^_^

-Larame

15. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Possibly Larame.. But it's worth it in the end... Personally i like the belt with the three buckles...

Great job Rebel Alliance Barbie! Your costume looks great!

16. kerstin

kerstin Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2006
    This is the same costume I am going to be working on. Both in green and brown. I had just come to the conclusion that it was a single buckle and food capsules on the side in both pictures. Mainly because they are the same costume, minus color, and in the brown it is very clearly food capsules. That is what I am going with at this point in time. But if there are a lot of contradictions, I may change my mind.

Also, what top pattern has someone used and been able to have success with? I picked up Mccall's 5233, but it seriously needs arm hole adjusting. They are huge, but I will still make a mock up using this pattern. I know some of you were looking into getting a sleeve less shirt pattern and adding a band. Did that work out ok?

Thank you to anyone in advance!!

17. kerstin

kerstin Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2006
    Oh, and of course, not using the sleeves at all, in that pattern.

18. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Hello! This is my first post in the Costuming forum.:) R A Barbie's impressive Jaina costume has made me delurk. Beautifully done! And aren't those lightsabers the greatest accent?

I started to teach myself how to sew about two years ago. While I'd love to tackle a Star Wars costume, I've been putting the finishing touches on a Lord of the Rings Eowyn (Shieldmaiden) and mustering the nerve to start a Arwen (blood red dress).

Any who...Lovely work! I can tell see the long hours of blood, sweat and joyful tears you put into it. @};-

edit: typo

19. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I just had the final fitting for my sleeveless costume tonight and the top fits waaaaaay better than the first one. I cant remember the pattern we used, I think it was mcalls, it was the one on PadawansGuide. I will post it tomorrow.

-Larame

20. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    Looking super great RAB!!! Goodness I want a pic so bad of all us Essential Guide Jainas ^^

X-wing Jaina is slowly continuining on its way. Bought the jumpsuit last week and finally paid for the helmet. Maybe progress pics in a month, if I'm lucky. But I've got to finish by CIV!

~Princess Solo

21. RebelAllianceBarbie

Jan 6, 2007
    Hahaha, there were DEFINITELY TEARS! And not all of them were joyful hahaha.

It was an absolute fiasco trying to get the costume finished. I gave the pattern and fabric to my friend Jay in december, and he decided 2 weeks before the con "I'm not gonna do it."
    So he handed off the stuff to his neighbor, who did my mustafar padme costume, and my friend Ang from my rebel legion base(who, in the process of making my obi, decided to do a Jaina herself! The black jumpsuit! She's already bought a pattern! Muahaha us Jainas shall take over the world!). Neither of them got the material before SATURDAY of LAST WEEK. And they both live in providence. I live in Boston. I have no license. I also have tons of classes. >.<

My base membership officer is amazing on every level--not only did he drive me down to RI the DAY BEFORE I left for NYC, but he personally funded my Jaina saber's construction for the con! I was in RI all day, and we picked up my tunic and tabards (made by Rollie, Jay's neighbor) an went to Ang's to make the obi. I was already late for a class by the time we finished and my mom was throwing a fit over the phone, so we had no more time to do anything when I tried it all on and made a grim discovery--the tunic, which had somehow ended up being size 3XL mens, had also been made with the wrong color fabric; the tabard and tunic fabrics had been switched. It looked HORRIBLE. It was literally unwearable. I was basically in tears. I brought the stuff home, freaking out about how I was going to finish it--while I was at class, the tunic was dyed with COFFEE and put in the dryer. When I got out of class, I went to my rebel legion friend, Larissa's, house, since she was driving me down to NYC. We were up till 1 in the morning taking in the tunic. It turned out perfectly fine for v1.0, but omg was that a frightening experience lol.

So that's my story. [face_laugh]

[image=http://a88.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/50/l_23274dfacde2c22f0c5e45fe3dc7cd87.jpg]

Thanks for all the compliments everyone! I plan to have the bracers redone so they come down further on my hands and are lighter. The belt and boots are perfect and are going to be in every Jaina version I do lol. The obi is going to be remade and made a lot stiffer, more like a corset, and the tunic and tabards are going to be made with different colors. I'll probably get different colored pants as well. I think the cowl works for now, I'll see about changing it later. And the lightsaber is not complete, so we'll see how that goes. :D

EDIT:
    OMG we absolutely have to...who's going to CIV? I'll be there, we need to arrange a time to all get together and get a big Jaina group shot!

22. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    And you kept your head from exploding...how?

=P
    It was all worth it, it looks great.

For the record, I will be at CIV all five days.

-Larame

23. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Also, the pattern to the sleeveless is Mccalls 4007

The white one...
    http://padawansguide.com/gifs2/M4007.jpg

This worked good for me. Though I found that if you want the fitted look like the Japanese cover art...and you have boobs...it's quite difficult, so find the best flattening sports bra you can. =P

-Larame

24. kerstin

kerstin Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks so much. That looks perfect. Thanks for the bra advise as well.

Everyone's costumes are absolutely fantastic. You all did wonderful. I will try to post some pics as I complete mine. But it might be a while yet.

25. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    As i was packing up my books(I'm moving in the next few weeks.. yay!), i came across something interesting.. and something i had forgotten about. What i found was an extra copy of the book(s) "Refugee"... In Japanese... Oh the cover art *drools*.

Anywho... I debated on putting it on ebay but i remembered all of my lovely Jaina friends, and thought hey! Why not offer it to them first!

So here I am... The picture below is a stock image, but that's what the books look like. PM if interested :D

[image=http://starwars.wikia.com/images/7/79/Refugeejc.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.