main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR JC Heroes - TFN Republic Guild

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Sarge221, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Once it goes FTP, I plan on playing some more. I don't miss the game, but I miss my two main characters, if that makes sense.

2. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Makes sense. I mean as an MMO, TOR is kind of poor but the single-player adventures I found to be a blast. I'll probably end up playing every class story overtime once it goes F2P (depending on, of course, the cost of more character slots and if character limitations are only per server).

3. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    What I think I'm going to do once it goes free to play is maybe 6 months free to play then 6 months pay. I might even do it 3 months on and 3 months off kind of thing. Because I still want to have the ability to have access to all areas. I just don't want to pay for it all the time. :p Plus I figure that will give me a more well rounded experience with the game.

4. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    Eh, I felt like I wasn't really missing much when it came to the actual MMO portion of the game once you got your character fully leveled and focused on your usual end game stuff like Instances/Flashpoints, Raids/Operations, and PvP. I played through the one free month, paid for another month to get a more in-depth view of end game and.......eeeeeeeh.

To be fair, I still hold the opinion that TOR can be a better game given enough time for Bioware to shape up and figure out how to manage their MMO like an MMO. I mean Blizzard hardly had an easy time when they first started up WoW and were savagely beaten by their users until they manage to rework how they handle everything and, what do you know, WoW is recognized as THE MMO of our time. I had a lot of fun with the TOR single-player and the Star Wars fanboy in me had made very not-so-boyish squeals at the game from time to time, specifically when I was playing my Consular and got my first lightsaber. And there was the Imperial Agent with its own awesome storyline.

I will give TOR credit; there has never been an MMO where I would level up a character (my Consular) and, upon completely leveling him and finishing his story, I would say "Let's level up another character!"

Course, that's just the thing. Bioware did too good of a job at the single-player leveling experience to the point where they completely overshadowed - and perhaps underdeveloped - their MMO portions. I'll bet you anything that a lot of users, upon completing their character, would declare "I beat TOR!" and instead of resubscribing for a second month, they just fled. I gave the MMO portion a shot upon subscribing for another month but......eeeeeeh. There were a couple gaming mechanics that I think they should've had (such as dual-speccing) but there's just also the numerous bugs and poorly-thoughout mechanics that they did have.

I mean the one thing I raged about was the boss fight with Darth Malgus. Other then it being a bit annoying to coordinate with your party to use their knockback abilities to push Malgus off the ledge, there was also the fact that - depending on your party setup - you can end up in a party where only ONE character had any kind of knockback ability. Considering you needed two knockback abilities to be used one after the other, it was thus IMPOSSIBLE to defeat Malgus because of that stupid mechanic. I dunno what changes they made, I remember there being a patch coming out before I quit saying that your party could get supplied with grenades for the boss fight but...come on... Gotta defeat the almighty Dark Lord by grenade spamming him. That's just perfect isn't it?

Then there was the fact that, despite the classes being so similar (like Consular to Inquisitor, Smuggler to Agent) to the point where they have pretty much the same exact abilities, there's was also that annoying little fact that one class could fire off an ability faster then the other class despite them both having the same exact ability. Other then the name their abilities would do the same thing but one class would be able to use their ability faster because of having a shorter casting animation then the other or something like that. I mean, come on, that was just poor thought on Bioware's part.

But hey, maybe they managed to clean up a bunch of the stuff. Its been nine months since TOR's release so I would hope Bioware has managed to learn some lessons and figured out how to better run their MMO. I haven't really been keeping track of the updates so the only way I'll find out is when it goes free-to-play and I log back in to see for myself.

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    each team member can pick up a grenade specifically for knocking malgus off the ledge. Yeah it's odd but no more odd than say, playing minesweeper in one of the ops.

Also, imperial agents still need a nerf.

As for subscribers leaving after finishing the story, that was always going to happen when bioware created the game that they did. It was supposed to satisfy players on both sides of the fence.

End game is slightly better, ranked warzones have been introduced for pvp and a group finder tool has been introduced for Pve content

6. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Is the JC Heros Guild still active? If so I have a couple of characters that could benefit the guild? What server is it currently on and who are the current officers?

7. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It's on Jedi Covenant. I'm not exactly sure how or why, but I'm listed as the guildmaster. If you want to join, shoot me a PM. I don't think that it's ever really been active, unless it was right when TOR came out.

8. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Will do. My current main is Bazinga'd (no surprise there), so if you see me running around that's me.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Sounds good. My main's name is Karfan. If I'm on, PST me, and I'll invite you.

10. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I tried PMing you last night. I dont know if you saw it though.

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    No, but I was getting caught up on Kira quests and probably had the other tab open, not the general one. Sorry about that. I'll probably go on shortly.

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Ah, I love those Kira Quests. My characters tend to become very close with my "Companions". :cool:

13. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Maulfly and I have Republic characters now on Jedi Covenant, I'm a bluish lvl 36 Twi'lek smuggler (female) and she's running a male human trooper (although I'm running way ahead; she doesn't play as much so I've only done class quests after Nar Shadda, she hasn't finished Taris yet)

My toon's name is GrandAdmlStrife if anyone wants to friend list me, or invite me to the guild. Darth, if you got promoted to guildmaster it means no one above you has logged in for like, a few weeks :p Congrats on the promotion.

14. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Thanks, I think. :p

Although, GrandAdmiralJello was before me. :p

I'll probably go on for a bit tomorrow night. If you're on, I'll try to send you an invite.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I was like... "Founder" status or something for a while, but I think McC beat me coming back to F2P probably.

16. Grand Admiral Strife

Jun 21, 2001
    I'm on rather late, as we work until midnight, so we're on around 1am

17. Beaker416

Beaker416 Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2004
    Hey guys, kind of a n00b question. Is this guild only on a certain server or can any server access this guild?

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Not that there are many servers remaining, but I believe guilds are server specific.

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, from what I understand that's the case.

Since I usually have to work fairly early in the morning, I'm not likely to be on then, Strife, but maybe we could work something out on a weekend when I'm not working. I'm not sure when that'll be, though. :p

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'd like an invite as well if we can ever work out a time when we all can be on at the same time. :p

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Maybe someday, PK, maybe someday. :p

22. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Darth McClain...Will you be on TOR tonight?

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Nope. Working tonight. Probably not tomorrow night, either.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I will catch up with you soon.

25. Grand Admiral Strife

Jun 21, 2001
    Logged in this morning to finish getting my last crew skill to 400 (yay!), got my Anniversary fireworks. If you're going to get any Life Day stuff off the Cartel Market, just go ahead and get the Life Day Pack, it includes everything for 2400 CC, a 35% discount.

New cartel pack is up as well, lots more pets, 2 new mounts, new clothes (Revan Armor!), new weapons (with sparks/lens flare effects on 1 or 2), and some emotes. Oh, and fireworks on the sore too. 4 new ones, plus new Level 7 Ship Gear packs (VERY worthwhile if you're into space missions)