main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO JC.N GL Gaming Lounge (NUMBAR 2!)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Dan, May 9, 2006.

1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    bra size?

2. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
  3. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    I feel like shatting, that count?

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  6. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    [Press Start to begin]

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
  8. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    I'M A COMPUTER

9. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Sep 23, 1999
    STOP ALL THE DOWNLOADIN'

10. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    ITZ MAH BIRFDAY

11. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Did you get lots of games?

12. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    LULZ UR OLD

13. Handmaiden Yané

Jul 15, 2002
    No, but I got a ton of itunes gift cards!!

14. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Gratz Yane. How old are you now?

That's going a bit far methinks.

15. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    So I just found out that the new game Driver: San Francisco has a challenge mode where you can play recreations of a bunch of famous movie car chase scenes. I'm thinking that's very cool. There should be games solely based on this premise. Why has this not happened before? Make this happen!

16. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Games emulating films? NOT IN MY LIFETIME HAS SUCH AN IDEA SO BOLD EVER BEEN DREAMED.

17. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    To clarify - pretty much all of Reflections games since Driver have been pastiches of car chases/races/stunts in films - the original Driver games seemed to pull it off best, being soley based on delivering a solid driving experience with some linear sequences, but mostly leaving you open to deal with things however you saw fit (though there did seem to be a finite number of ways to do the incredibly challenging missions). Changing the formula with Stuntman was a nightmare - providing a more cinematic and consequently hideously linear experience, where the slightest deviation usually meant having to restart the entire level. SO THEN, we have your GTA 3 and the like come out, giving a different type of experience in being a freeform world with the sensibilities of your typical hollywood action film with some of the best driving mechanics ever. And then everything else happened and riffed of GTA 3, while each being heavily inspired by films in different ways (usually in ways which irritate one of my favourite sitcom writers), resulting in your ten a penny GTA clones.

So anyway, I wouldn't expect playing full recreations of scenes from films to be much more interesting than Stuntman (if linear), or any more exciting than any similar experience in one of the GTA-alikes (if freeform).

18. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    mind explaining what you are talking about to someone who hasn't played these games?

Also, don't pre-order OR. It's not good

19. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    Thanks for telling me after I pre-ordered it.

20. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    That's the thing. Games are becoming more free form, which is all well and good. But I find that there is something appealing about linear experiences as well.

Also, you could make the argument that the fact that a chase scenario in a game is based on one from a movie makes no difference whatsoever to the experience. That's valid. But the mind is strange. You want to drive real cars in Need for Speed. Why should it make any difference whether the cars in a game like Need for Speed, which has no pretensions of being a realistic simulator, are actual real-world brands and models or not? Apparently, it does matter. Why should it matter whether a chase scenario in a game is based on a movie or not, or whether it looks exactly like that or not? It shouldn't, but I guess it does anyway.

So I think it would be cool if there was made a compilation game where you would select car chase scenes from a variety of movies. Kind of like how in Singstar, you have a bunch of songs from different artists, you would have a bunch of scenarios from different movies. The premise appeals to me, what can I do? Call me stupid.

I imagine the legal hurdles of having scenes from movies made by a wide selection of different studios; managing to make deals that would keep all parties happy; would be the biggest obstacle to making this happen.

21. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    The best thing about playing XBox Live during the day is that I get to game with drunk Irishmen (and I'm not stereotyping, they totally admitted it). Every time one of my buddies gets killed he mutters, "Jaysus". It's adorable.

22. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Anyone want to co-op the Cortana mission of Halo 3 with me on Saturday? I'm hoping I'll finally be able to beat it and complete the game.

23. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Sooo.....

Thought I might pop in. It's been a while.

24. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
  25. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    That's going a bit far methinks.