main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC Social threads/groups policy] A 6 month wait for a 1 month thread? This needs to end NOW

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthTunick , Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMNDR_BACARA

CMNDR_BACARA Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    You have obviously not been paying attention.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Don't be too harsh. I agree with Mr44, to an extent.

The socializing part is complex, as has been pointed out ad nauseaum, the SK do have an offsite board. One that is not appealing to some of our younger or more religous members due to its name alone, and also not accessible to some of our members who post from work and have server/IP checks and couldn't post there based on its name. It's not as accessible as one would think. We do make an attempt to socialize throughout the whole JC, some more than others.

However, the groupthink statement is where things get tricky. I don't advocate group conscience mentalities, but at the same time, this whole Forum is based on non-reality or hyper-reality nonsense, so it's fine on here, hence BYS, FF, SSA, so forth.

The problem with disbanding it is this... there are a lot of people who are members as it is one of their sole places of acceptance, in the rl or not. There are several young kids who wanted to be members because it looked cool, and we have several members who stay onboard because it does give them leverage to be able to just post in the middle of a preexisting conversation and be accepted ("Oh, you're a SK... that's funny... welcome aboard"). I personally have little need for the security blanket of an online gang, but it does serve positive purposes in the lives of a handful of regulars, so it's not just easily written off.

3. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    My observations have nothing to do with disbanding any gorup, merely following the rules that are set in place. Being a "SK" doesn't trump what this site is.

Like you pointed out, the SK off-site board is were you can all let loose according to your own rules.. You can post all of the swear words, scantly clad pictures, or debauchery filled posts you want. After all, it's your house.

However, when you're on TF.N, your SK identity becomes secondary to the nature of the boards here.

Keep your signature identities, and bond all you want. However, there is no conflict with the rules here. This applies to any splinter group.

4. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    end the wait! stop the hate! i wanted to make a summer-porch-sitting thread for the jcc. i regersted for a social thread about three months ago! i thought it'd be enough time. boy oh boy, was i wrong! gimme my thread!

5. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    What is really sad is that we have lost two social threads that were meant for some geeks to small talk in.

6. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002
    Okay, what about the people like me who associate with a lot of users who happen to be knights? I found a group and now I have to look all over to find them again. They're my friends dagnabbit.

Also, I don't understand why you think the SK's only posted in the GIL. They contribute all over the boards, not just in one place. I'll speak for myself here, (but I think they'd agree with me)...ideas are repeated so much now that it's hard to find a new and interesting topic.

For instance, I occasionally post in the JCC IF I find something I like. I read a Fanfic and post comments and I'm in a RPG. But hey, if a good topic comes up in the movie forums I'll make a contribution but I'm not going to just post "I agree". In a serious debate/discussion I never post unless I feel it's worth posting.

Plus, if I've contributed before I can't see doing it again on the same subject unless there's a good reason to do so. However, all of this does not mean that I don't like to read said threads.
    The social thread was a place where I could go to say hi while I'm here. The reason I bring this up is that I believe everyone in the GIL had/have similar browsing habits.

The sole purpose of visiting the forums isn't just to chit chat, you can do that in a messenger service. The purpose as I see it, is to find people you've made friends with (and potential new friends) who have a common bond. Believe it or not, that bond is Starwars.

I still say that if you give those involved a chance, you may find that all this is for naught. I think the SK's know they've reached a point where it's heed the Mods or be banished from the kingdom.

7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Ego makes things like that happen often, Pogey.

8. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    One thing I don't understand is how the social thread "Confederate Palace" has remained open for two danged years.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Pogey, it is a 'grandfathered' thread and has no limit on its run. This has been covered already.

Let the topic aim more at Whilla's post. It is a good point.

So, it will probably be skipped over. :p

10. Jedi_Insurance_Guy

Jedi_Insurance_Guy Jedi Master star 5

Jul 27, 2004
    I wasn't advocating that any member, SK or otherwise, limit themselves to a specific identitiy - I was merely stating that most of us had been contributors to the 3SA before we started posting in the GIL. It was more in response to the discussion I'd had with Strilo, as opposed to having anything to do with limiting oneself on these boards (or any other, for that matter).

I think you'll find that very few of my posts on this site have any direct connection to my "knighthood", with the exception of that fact that many of the posters I socialize with on this site are Knights. They are not, however, the only people I socialize with here (or at our offsite boards, for that matter).

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Well over the past couple of days, Quixotic-Sith made a warning that the Confederate Palace in the JCC will not turn into a SK thread. So if we cannot even do what what was encouraged to do (use an existing social thread), then what is the point?

12. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Oh no, you can't socialize how you want to on a Star Wars site!

13. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    You are more than welcome to post in an existing social thread, as long as you do so within the same rules as everyone else.

However, that does not mean that you are allowed to hijack or "take over" whichever thread you post in.

Kimball Kinnison

14. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I completely agree with Kimball. Hijacking is precisely what took place in the PT and then in the JCC.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Well, I would like to see how the world would end if we were allowed our JCC social thread. Since I won't, I guess things will never change.

16. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    DarthTunick posted on 7/11/05 1:46pm
    [color=red]Well over the past couple of days, Quixotic-Sith made a warning that the Confederate Palace in the JCC will not turn into a SK thread. So if we cannot even do what what was encouraged to do (use an existing social thread), then what is the point?[/color][hr][/blockquote]

Good point. I mean, if there are almost only Knights posting in there, what does it matter? It's still a social thread. When one starts posting in a thread, another will follow. It's a grandfathere social thread and it's being used. If all Knights flock to it and put it to use, what does it matter? Sometimes I think people make it a practice to stop the Knights from having a social thread. They've not hijacked the thread or anything. It doesen't say a thing about the Knights in the thread title, it doesen't hold any requirements to where only Knights can post there, and it still gives everyone else the chance to post there. Once again, they've done absolutely nothing wrong.

17. LadyWhilla

LadyWhilla Jedi Master star 4

May 6, 2002

According to dictionary.com, the word 'social' is defined as:

Inclined to seek out or enjoy the company of others; sociable.

If you apply that to the entire YJCC that means the whole forum is one big social thread, the Confederate Palace being an off-shoot of the mother social thread.

To stay on topic you need to socialize in the CP as indicated by it's founder and IS done in there.

This is the only time that I know of that the knighting 'ceremony' led to accusations of hijacking.

If it was done so many times in the 3SA then why wasn't it stopped in the 3SA the first time?

18. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Last time I checked none of us had actually hijacked a thread. The Palace we all posted there and never once were we asked by the user responsble for the thread to stop posting there or stay within the rules. Never once....So why all the sudden is this an issue of us posting there.

~PK~

19. StarWarsFiend

StarWarsFiend Jedi Youngling star 4

May 23, 2004
    bah fine, not worth it

20. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    I'll tell you what happened, straight up, no chasa.

I made a new thread in the JCC to knight Whilla. WHY? I'm sure you ask.
    Firstly, the Confederate Palace is a social thread, not OUR thread. Whoever roles in, we talk to them all if we are there. It's a JCC thread, not a knight thread. So, posting a knighting in there, might be taken wrong. The GIL was our home, and we generally kept our knightings to that thread.

Well, I figure, I can make a small thread, to welcome new members. Not as a social thread, which was obviously denied us.
    I guess Quixy Sith didn't like it, and closed it.

Fine.

That's his perogative, he's a mod.

But then we had no place to congratulate Whilla, so i felt bad, and posted it in the Confederate Palace.
    Quixy decided that was "removable" so he edited the whole post out, and then warned me that what i did "hijack" a thread,
    was a bannable offense.

Now, I got no beef with anybody. But honestly, I felt a bit blacklisted by this. It's very rock/hardplace, and it's not fair.

Judging an entire group by the actions of a few (yes a few, there are over 65 members and maybe, i stress maybe, 7 or 8 people deemed "trouble" by the mod squad.) is a very unfair, and narrowminded thing to do.

We all just want to talk.
    And before you tell me to do it at the parrot, well fact is the sarcasm knights are and will always be a tf.n derived group, it's members coming from the population. So it is right to congratulate new members in front of the populace of the jcc, and recognize their talents and or freindship. So that "do it at the parrot" really is a "separate but equal" arguement. Sure we like the back of our bus, but you can't tell us that's the only place we can go.

anyway. that's my 2 cents.

FF

21. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    [DarthSapient]: "Hijacking is precisely what took place in the PT..."

If by "hijacking" you mean users were posting in the social thread, then you are correct. I suspect there are other occurances of this kind of nefarious behaviour since this is a message board, and people do post messages... from time to time.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Honestly. 30 pages. How long before you let it go, Tunick? Do you really think anything is going to change? It's been discussed over and over.

23. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    Will someone lock this trainwreck, please!

24. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Strilo posted on 7/11/05 10:09pm
    Honestly. 30 pages. How long before you let it go, Tunick? Do you really think anything is going to change? It's been discussed over and over.[hr][/blockquote]

Obviously he won't let it go until changes are made. I can't blame him in the least bit.

25. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well things reach a point where the discussion is just over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.