main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[JCC] Updating the JCC Rules Sticky Thread

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kimball_Kinnison, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'd never ask you to, TBF. My apologies if you thought the comment was directed towards you, real life should always come first. I'm glad you've stepped in to give a JCC mod's view on this discussion.

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Do we strictly enforce the ?Don?t post in a thread you think is spam/about to be locked? rule?

YES! You absolutely should. Such posts serve only to derail a thread. And derailing threads has always been a warnable and bannable offense.

Secondly, there is no clear 100% definition of what spam is. It?s open to interpretation, and always will be. One user thinks a thread is Spam, another doesn?t. It has to be the Mod?s call. However, I think we should try and expand on what constitutes a spam thread. It won?t be able to cover all situations, but it could help.

This is precisely why "Spam" should not be used as a reason to lock threads. It's far too broad in scope. If a mod cannot give a sound reason to lock a thread without resorting to a meaningless buzzword, then the thread probably shouldn't be locked. And trying to define spam will NEVER work. It's been tried so many times before.

When it isn?t, a short explanation should be posted.

Yay for common sense! Seeing as how a short explanation negates the use of "spam" everybody is happy.

Member appreciation threads are not allowed. Other appreciation threads are allowed, though we suggest discussion threads instead.

I think this could do with some clarification.

I believe that refers to Movie/Actor/Actress/TV show/etc. appreciation threads. But the "discussion" caveat is designed so that those things can actually be discussed, rather than having a thread for everyone to just say "I love that show!" Especially since posting and saying you don't like the show can be construed as trolling, which would (ridiculously) necessitate two threads. See Salad Debates.

Regarding a sticky thread, I've argued this time and time again, but the JCC DOES NOT NEED a sticky. All it does is give unnecessary and tacit official status to threads that shouldn't have such status. The rules should be posted in a thread, and that thread should be added to the header of the forum. NO STICKY.

And finally in addition to the April 2003 thread, which Bigger Fish (thankfully) seems to feel should be the rules, here are the rest of the unwritten rules:

1. No Parody threads
    2. No Religious threads
    3. Swears have to be fully masked out, excepting those which are suitable for basic cable
    4. No F in acronyms when it means what it means (which is ridiculous in itself, but it's still a rule)

I think that's pretty much it. What would also be nice is a section about Mod Responsibility. In addition to the "Mods must give a clear explanation when locking a thread" I propose the following (which is just common sense, and some mods do this regardless):

1. Mod at the post level, not the thread level. If people are derailing a thread, deal with them, don't lock the thread. If people are flaming, trolling, etc. deal with them.
    1a. If a mod feels a thread isn't going to lead anywhere good, let it go. See what happens. Give us regular folk some credit. BUT, keep a closer eye on the thread. Locking a thread because it might not end well is lazy modding.
    1b. Give some leeway in the Senate-like threads allowed. The Senate is explicitly for the serious discussion of serious topics. It's nice to be able to discuss serious topics in a light-hearted manner in the JCC.
    2. If an apparently redundant thread is started, and someone ups an older version, it's almost always a good idea to lock the older version (presuming it's at least a couple of weeks old) and let the newer version go. New threads ALWAYS are more active than older, upped threads. This is one of the major reasons why the Index in the Sticky thread is so irrelevant.
    3. Post and have fun! You're supposed to enjoy the forum you mod, so do so! It makes it infinitely more enjoyable for the members when the mods feel more like regular members and it makes it that much easier to approach them with problems.

This is all very ba

3. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    OK, I'll post it here, too:

First things first - correct a mistake made 6 months ago.

Doing this is *very* simple:

1) Delete current sticky thread. It is out-dated garbage, despite it's shiny, 'newer' posted date ('cause it's not the *original* posted date of that info).

2) Copy the April 2003 thread into a new sticky thread and call it "These are Da Rulez".

Viola.

NOW! Debate what, if any, changes need to be made to the *actual* rules (and by actual rules, I mean the April 2003 rules, not the 'October 2003 republishing of old, outdated rules' rules).

Vertical

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Vertical, has anyone approached you about someday being a mod?

5. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I don't know if I've got what it takes... :)

6. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    So, basing this on what Amazing posted and the April thread, this would appear to be a rough draft:
    [b]Advice for Mods:[/b]

[b]1.[/b] Mod at the post level, not the thread level. If people are derailing a thread, deal with them, don't lock the thread. If people are flaming, trolling, etc. deal with them.
    [b]1a.[/b] If a mod feels a thread isn't going to lead anywhere good, let it go. See what happens. Give us regular folk some credit. BUT, keep a closer eye on the thread.
    [b]1b.[/b] Give some leeway in the Senate-like threads allowed. The Senate is explicitly for the serious discussion of serious topics. It's nice to be able to discuss serious topics in a light-hearted manner in the JCC.
    [b]2.[/b] If an apparently redundant thread is started, and someone ups an older version, it's almost always a good idea to lock the older version (presuming it's at least a couple of weeks old) and let the newer version go. New threads ALWAYS are more active than older, upped threads.
    [b]3.[/b] Post and have fun! You're supposed to enjoy the forum you mod, so do so! It makes it infinitely more enjoyable for the members when the mods feel more like regular members and it makes it that much easier to approach them with problems.[hr][b][u]Advice for Users:[/u][/b][hr][b]Images[/b]

[blockquote][li]Images are often included in threads in the JCC. Imbedding an image every now and again is ok. However, imbedding multiple images per post causes some problems. First of all, the image is being taken from another website, one that has to pay for the service. Too much imbedding could cost someone a lot of money. It also slows down the time it takes for a thread to load on the JCC, no matter what connection a user is on. So, instead of imbedding many images, please use links instead. That way the pictures aren't loaded from a remote site and the thread itself isn't bogged down in loading time due to too many images. [/li][/blockquote]

[hr]
    [b]Posting Of ?Lock This? Type Posts:[/b]

[blockquote][li]Posting things such as: ?+1?, ?lock this?, ?this is spam?, and anything that can be construed as this type of post, is not allowed.[/li]

[li]Any posts like this will be deleted, and a PM will be sent to the poster. Doing this will lead to a warning, and then to a ban.[/li]

[li]If you feel that a thread is spam, please contact a forum moderator and let them handle it.

A lot of times perfectly good threads are cluttered with these types of posts in the first 10 posts. There is no need for that. If you don?t like a thread, please move to one that you do enjoy.[/li][/blockquote]

[hr]

[b]Lock Reasons:[/b]

[blockquote] [li]Mods should give a clear reason for a lock. This will allow for the thread creator know exactly what was wrong with the thread.[/li]

[li]Religious threads are not allowed. These should be posted in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/The_Senate_Floor/b10320/]Senate Floor[/link].[/li]

[li]Parody threads are not allowed.[/li]

[/blockquote]
    [hr]

[b]Self Promotion Type Threads:[/b]
    [blockquote]
    [li]You are allowed to have your name in the title of a thread.[/li]

[li]Watched user list threads are not allowed.[/li]

[li]Member appreciation threads are not allowed. Other appreciation threads are allowed, though we suggest discussion threads instead.[/li]
    [/blockquote]

[b]Other Behavior:[/b]

[blockquote][li]As is board-wide policy, all swears must be fully marked out.[/li]

[li]Acronyms involving profanity (specifically the letter F) must also be completely marked out.[/li]

[li]Before posting a new topic (especially concerning news stories), please check within the last 5 days to see if it has already been discussed. [/li]

[li]Remember, the Terms of Service are still completely in force here.[/li][/blockquote][hr]

While we are going to be less restrictive on the threads that can be posted, in return we'd like to see more responsibility in posting and responding to threads.

With all that said, we ask that you respect your fellow poster. We realize that you may no

7. Qwertyuiop

Qwertyuiop Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2004

"The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems slip through your fingers."

The more explicit the rules, the more loopholes can be found.

Stick to the "original" style rules:

1. No Flaming
    2. No Trolling
    3. Be sensible in your posting

That covers everything.

8. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Actually, instead of:

"If you feel that a thread is spam, please contact a forum moderator and let them handle it"

I'd say:

If you feel that a thread is spam, please review the "spam vs. fluff" thread in comms (provide a link here for us lazies). If it's fluff, it's allowable. If it's genuinely spam, please contact a forum moderator and let them handle it.

Vertical

9. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Also, there should be some rule about if a thread has been around a significant period of time (or longer than the user in question has been) than posting multiple posts calling for its locking should not be allowed.

Also, could an Index of 'legendary' threads (threads posted a long time ago by oldbies that are dead, but still being upped so newer members can see them) be created ?

10. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Well proposed points and guidelines, Kimball.

As for a thread listing the more "classic" JCC threads, well that wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

11. Wes_Janson

Wes_Janson Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 17, 2004
    Underscore, let me know when ya start getting a lsit of classic threads ready, it oughta be good for a laugh or so. (teh funny threads, not teh list :p )

12. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    If you have any suggestions yourself, Wes, please feel free to let me know.

13. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    The new rules have been posted, and so I'm locking this thread.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.