main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Academy: General Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by OnlyOneKenobi, Dec 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  2. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I am going to sell a bunch of games on ebay, and I am debating whether or not Jedi Academy is worth keeping since I have only played a little bit of it. I finished Jedi Outcast years ago, and got Academy as soon as it came out, but then lost interest and it has been collecting dust ever since. I still have to play the final levels of Farcry and Half-Life 2. Is Jedi Academy worth investing the time after those? Also in the running is KOTOR, so I am definately leaning towards that one.

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    You have to devote a lot of time to KOTOR to really get the most out of it. But with JA you can pop it in, play a level or two, and not worry that you're missing out on too much. So, I guess it really depends on what you're looking for. If you want a game with a deep and complicated story, go with KOTOR. If you want a light game that's fun to play when you want to kill some time but don't necessarily want to get too involved with the story, go with JA.

4. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Recently i've taken to using Playermodel boba_fett.

Now, Boba Fett is by no means a normal guy, but he uses Blasters so as far as games physics and rules go, it ammounts to the same to fighting Block!all Jedi.

I have to admit, i'm getting somewhat frustrated. I thought playing through the game as Boba would be fun, but thanks to the way Lightsabers royally whup Blaster's in JKA every time i run into a reasoanbly strong Dark Jedi i'm struggling to stay alive and exploiting bugs while out of reach.

If you fight anything stronger than a reborn_new it gets hard (to impossible) to win without retreating and exploiting bugs.

Your main weapon is a Blaster; and the stronger NPCs have Saber Defense 3 at least, they can deflect EVERYTHING you throw at them. I can go through every Blaster i have (Stormy Rifle, Bowcaster, Repeater, ect.) and probobly score maybe 6 or so hits through their defense. 5% of thier health bar basicly.

Weapons such as the Rocket Launcher and Concussion Rifle? You eat your own ammo because they Push it back at you without fail; even if you shove it into their mouth first. Same with Thermal's.

Disrupter Rife? Should be the best weapon to fight Jedi with, after all, it works brillianntly against you for the NPCs. Nope, every dark Jedi is actually Neo in disguise. Just doesnt work at all. Might aswell ignore it.

Boba's flamethrower? Despite killing YOU in around 4 seconds of exposure, for you it basicly just pushes your enemy backwards and after 10 seconds which completly breaks immersion they will just drop. No fun, just a cheap shot if you cant be bothered playing fair.

Flechette Launcher? This actually works to a small extent, the Flechette can acually hit even Tavion; the problem here is occasionnaly you get it Pushed back at you and take the damage worse, and the small ammount of the stuff that hits them hardly does anything, and you run out of ammo before they even heal.

Lightsaber? Sadly, despite being mosty 'Forceless' ('cept Heal3 and Lightning/Flamethrower3) and Fett's Lightsaber skills leaving something to be desired; Lightsabers are still the best way to deal with Reborn's. More skilled ones still hand you your rear, thanks to your lack of abilities and acrobatics. I try to avoid using my saber since Boba would only carry one as a trophy, not a main weapon of choice.

Dont even mention the bosses; even Alora needs around a full minute of my Flamethrower while trapped in a corner. Tavion a ridiculas ammount of damage. All bosses completly exaust every scrap of ammo i have without even nearly being beaten, hardly damaged at all infact. Maybe throwing my shoe would be more effective, can hardly do less damage.

...ugh

Basicly playing as the Galaxies best Bounty Hunter isnt all that fun when you are rendered as ineffective as a blind Jawa by ''Lightsabers'' as used by NPCs.

Has anyone else ever found a way around this? I tried "Gun Speed Mod", but even firing 50 blaster bolts a second all that happened was i ate 49 deflected shots. Fired 30 rockets; had 30 rockets pushed back my way.
    Plus, its just so fast its cheap; not fun in the least, not to mention that No Energy Consumption removed the aspect of knowing every shot that doesnt hit is one you wont have in the next fight.

I dont know, are there any mods out there that make the SP more fun and possible without actually being a Jedi? Anyone found any none-cheap ways for Fett to handle the Reborns/Bosses?

5. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    b...but it's called Jedi Academy...

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, welcome to the ugly reality of not being required by the script to be alive later. :p

7. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    Hehe, i fixed the problem :p

My Fett is now as Badass as the EU version.

Well, not really, but the Jedi are now subtantially weaker and no plain Force User has a Saber Defense above 1, and only the stronger Bosses, Luke and Kyle have Saber Defense 2. No one has Saber Defense 3, since its utterly stupid to be able to block 9999 blaster bolts at once, no matter how good you are.

Anakin did it in Jedi Trial, but he was almost as immersed (if not just as much) in the force as Jacen was in TUF. Normal Jedi shouldnt be able to do it, simple as. Saber Defense 2 is still around as effective as we saw in TMP/AOTC/ROTS, which is pretty damn hard to bypass.

Also reduced their health so you dont have to unload an entire Rifle into one to kill them. Stormtrooper's have 30hp in their stats (using RPG talk) and around 4 body shots or 1/2 charged/uncharged headshot kills them, and stronger Jedi usually have around 200/300hp (New Reborns; the old ones from JO have around 100hp) which means around 30/40 shots to kill them, which is majorly silly. Now all average Reborn's have 50/60hp so they can still take more of a beating than Storimes, but they are still 'human'. Reborn Master's and Mini-Bosses you occasionally stumble on have 100/120 so they are still quite tough with a Blaster.

Pretty much means there would be no challenge whatsoever if you played as a Jedi; but when playing as normal soldier things are more balanced, and an everyday Reborn doesnt take 5 minutes to kill and empty your entire ammo supply. They still arnt a walkover though, since i didnt touch what damage they do to you (one good slice will still take you out).

Still, this is really geared towards Boba; if you play as someone who doesnt have the Jetpack to help keep out of the way, your probobly still dead 7/10. All it takes is a single force Push/Pull and a Saberthrow and your dead. I havent changed that.

8. The_Mask

The_Mask Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    IF you don't mind using force, just type in 'setforceall 7' it's what I do. :D

9. The_Mask

The_Mask Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Jerk.

10. Alixen

Aug 7, 2003
    Wow, with my new setting i really keep getting suprised.

No longer are Reborn Masters the 'fearsome' (not so much, i mean in the way that if you slip up your dead) foes of the game.

Its actually Rocket Troopers, Those Mech-Stormies with the Concussion Rifles, Flechette Stormies and...

Lightning Master Reborn's.

Since you dont have force push as a human, if you see a rocket coming your way your pretty much dead or mortally wounded. Cant dodge them in time to avoid all damage, since the enemies aim them at your feet rather than you usually. Enemies with Concussion Rilfes are hard enough as a Jedi; its a case of hitting them with your Concussion Rifle first. And Flechette Stormies are nasty because it only takes one shot close up to take you out, if you mistake one for a Repeater Troop and charge at them your usually in pain a second later.

Lighting Masters; ouch. Kill this guy first, before their saber wielding partner. They are the bigger threat. One blast of their lighting can take you from 100 health to 0 in around 3 seconds. Occasioanlly you will get lucky and be knocked flying from a ledge by it, with around 7 health remaining. Still, you have to catch yourself with the jetpack before you splat.

11. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Blastech_DC15A;72979

Try this gun, it shoots out a bunch of bullets faster then any other weapon in the game and has a "blob" secondary weapon.

12. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Hey, I want this game and am trying to get it on ebay. Could someone tell me if it will work on my computer. It's a Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Thanks!:D

13. greyjedi125

greyjedi125 Chosen One star 6

Apr 29, 2002
    Hello all;

I was directed here to ask my question.

After all this time, is anybody interested in playing JA online?

Please let me know. I'm feeling terribly nostalgic and I've been hankering to play for months with no luck.

( Everybody else is playing WoW )

May the Force be with you,

greyjedi125

14. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
    Just finished the game today. For the first time, yeah. It's awesome. But the last fight, with Tavion, could have been better.

There are any good mods for this?? Besides KOTF...o_O

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    There's a decent Dash Rendar one, and of course the Dark Forces one.

16. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    Multiplayer: Movie Battles II and Open Jedi Project
    SP: Dark Forces is all about it

17. The_Crow

The_Crow Jedi Master star 4

Jan 10, 2006
    Ok, thanks.

18. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    New release of Movie Battles is out. Get it here. Has some really cool maps in there from KOTOR and RC plus the movies. Don't forget to grab the Movie Game Pack also. The Sparta and Alien maps are pretty much the coolest thing ever.

19. jbird2155

jbird2155 Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2008
    is there any hope for another jedi academy game?

20. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I'm always surprised how much high prices this game reaches at ebay (here).

It's as if there was a serious shortage of this game due to LucasArts not wanting to publish it in the budget segment again.

But of course there are second-hand shops ...

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    My, that's awfully interesting, considering I have all of the Dark Forces/JK/JA games, XWA, Tie Fighter and several other PC games I don't think I'm ever gonna play again. Myabe I oughta try ebay to see if someone will find a new home for them...

22. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I have almost all - only Battle for Naboo is missing on my list.

But once in a while it pops out of nowhere at ebay.

What has also become *very* expensive is the Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds game, especially the pack combining main game & expansion.

Star Wars Starfighter isn't common as well.

I must admit that I'm collecting them a bit. ;)

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's cheap in New Zealand - Activision have released it in the budget LucasArts Classics range and you can still pick it up for NZ$10 - $15 (that's about 5 - 7.5 Euros).

http://www.gpstore.co.nz/Games/1456208.html

Saw Empire at War for $10 today (new, in a store) though I resisted buying because I know I'll never have time to play it.

24. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    New build of Movie Battles 2!. Featuring grenade launching ARCs, Kamino, Mustafar, and Death Star maps, and more! You know, since Lucasarts hates us and this is pretty much the best recent Star Wars FPS out there.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/movie-battles-ii
    [image=http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4969/tantivedoorbreach.jpg]
    [image=http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4969/boomz-1.jpg]
    [image=http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4969/mygeetocoverfire.jpg]
    [image=http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/5/4969/office1.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.