main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Jedi=humble?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 18, 2012.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Must have been a big hit for the little green guy. (I wish sometimes that Dooku was simply a renegade who was disappointed in the state of affairs rather than a full-blown Sith).

Who turned out to be right.

In what ways was little Anakin unstable? They didn't want to train him because of the clouded future. Obi-Wan didn't either but he made a promise to Qui-Gon.

But it's true that the Jedi are too arrogant (even Yoda admits it) and needed a lesson in humility. Unfortunately, it came with the wiping out of the entire Order.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When questioning Anakin, Yoda notes his fear of losing his mother as a problem.

When explaining why they won't train him, Yoda & Mace say there is "too much anger in him".

That said, Ben points out in ESB "Was I any different when you taught me?"

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    "Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you."

4. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah but Qui-Gon clearly didn't agree (or maybe he though the proper training would eliminate the issues). "Always in motion, the future is". Obi-Wan felt he needed to obey his master's final request, despite his own reservations. It's understandable.

5. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    This. Yoda said it himself. The Jedi had become arrogant. The ironic part is, he says this in his own personal hover chair. Of course, the real reason he was in a hover chair was to make him easier to animate.:p

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Is a "personal hover chair" supposed to show a lack of humility?

Yeah, those people who get around in wheelchairs are so arrogant.

Alexrd likes this.
  7. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Give Yoda a break, he's old and sometimes is tired of walking with a stick all the time :p

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, when your "walking" more closely resembles controlled falling, its okay to have an assistive device :p

9. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    Going back to biblical times, King Solomon built a temple, a big and Beautiful one to be exact. But that didn't make them corrupt did it. Perhaps the force is like God? Or maybe the Jedi just like fancy things. Liking fancy things doesn’t disqualify one from being humble does it? King David had lots of fancy things, and he was "a man after God's own heart."

Admit it; we all know how George likes to throw history lessons and ancient stories at us in his movies.......

Could be that, or maybe George thought it looked cool.......

10. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    It's not that he threw that or this in that is the issue. It's more like he threw that or this in a blender, and pressed 'liquify.' Hence 'monomyth.' :p

11. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

A Jedi Knight or Master who disobeys the Council is considered a failure? Why? Why was it so important that someone like Qui-Gon blindly follow the Council's law?

I feel that the Jedi Temple was a physical manifestation of the Jedi Order's corruption, due to its location on Coruscant and grandiose image. I think the temple's physical appearance reflected the Order's arrogance and willingness to be a tool of the Galactic Senate, despite the latter's own corruption.

12. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Or. give the animators a break.:p

No, really though. I don't think of Yoda's hovery thing like Cleig Lars. It seems more like luxury, especially in the temple's huge majestic halls.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    18-inch step + huge halls=me wanting a hover platform when I'm 900 years old also :p

14. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    If it's OK to blow off the Council and just do whatever the hell you want, what's the point of having a Council at all?

Yeah, I don't quite get that. I mean, that may seem like a luxury to us, but technology that's a luxury in one time period may not be in another. I remember the days when a mobile phone was an expensive luxury item reserved for important business executives - now even the poorest people have them. I'm sure that in the Star Wars galaxy, hoverchairs are kind of like that.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It may not be "OK" to disobey the Council, but I don't think the act makes a Jedi a failure either, unless "blindly obedient" is among the top 5 descriptors of a "good Jedi."

16. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    So it's not OK to disobey the Council, except when it is.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Let me put the question more directly: is "blindly obedient" among the list of qualifiers for a good Jedi? I would say no. I think there would be an expectation to heed the direction of the Council, however, I would also think that if behavior were called into question, "Did the Jedi behave as a guardian of peace and justice, in service to the Republic?" would be a much greater determining factor than "Did the Jedi obey without question the direction of this body of 12 beings?"

I don't think much of any organization that considers a member a "failure" for exercising his or her brain for independent thought and decision-making, and I'm hoping to think more if the Jedi than that.