main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi Quest discussion thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Rebecca191, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Prologue set on Tatooine when Anakin is seven. A slave trader named Krayn takes some of the slaves captive including his friend Amee's mother.

Chapters 1-3 are set on the planet Illum. Anakin is 13. Obi-Wan has finally convinced the council that Anakin is ready to make his lightsaber. Obi-Wan and Anakin fight some native creatures and then go into the cave where the crystals grow. In the cave you have to face visions and memories. Obi-Wan sees Qui-Gon's death over and over again. Anakin "fights" Darth Maul - Anakin said that he imagined him, so he wanted him to go away now, Darth Maul says "Fine, but I am inside of you, I will return" or something. The vision or whatever ends and Anakin finds himself with a completed lightsaber. He has no idea how it happened.

In chapter 4, they are back on Coruscant. They have been summonded by the Jedi Council who have selected them for a mission. Obi-Wan and Anakin are to be sent on a Colicoid diplomatic ship to guard it from attack by pirate slaves traders - led by none other than Krayn. Obi-Wan hesitates to take Anakin on a mission involving a slave trader but in the end he agrees. The next couple of chapters are set on the Colicoid ship. Obi-Wan briefs Anakin on Krayn (he still doesn't know his connection to him) and Krayn's associates, which include a human woman under the alliance Zora - none other than Siri, who apparently renounced the Jedi. In any case the ship is attacked (Of course) and Obi-Wan and Anakin take a shuttle to board the attackers' ship to disable the weapons. They run into Siri and Anakin ends up being trapped on the pirate while Obi-Wan is forced to leave him behind and escape to Coruscant.

Anakin is taken to the Nar Shaddaa factories as a slave. Obi-Wan discovers the Colicoids are working with Krayn and that Siri never left the Jedi after all. She is undercover, trying to bring down the pirates. Her mission is a secret from everyone but the Council. She has been secretly looking after Anakin on Nar Shaddaa.

Obi-Wan travels to Nar Shaddaa in disguise. Anakin has found out Siri's secret. The two are imprisoned but manage to escape. Anakin helps the slaves plan a revolt. Siri uses a mind trick to convince Nar Shaddaa's "legitamate" ruler to have his human guards look the other way. This leaves only the guard droids. Siri (with Obi-wan's help, not even recognizing him in his disguise) convince the Colicoids that they will gain larger profits if they break the deal with Krayn and operate legitamatley, with paid workers, since they belong to the Republic.

Krayn tries to escape and Anakin follows him. They engage in battle. Anakin is about to deliver the killing blow. Obi-Wan yells at him to stop, but Anakin doesn't seem to hear, and kills Krayn. He doesn't even contemplate capturing him, only killing him, for he deserves no mercy. He even taunts him, that he will be killed by a boy.

Krayn was still armed when Anakin killed him so techincally he killed in self defense. Obi-Wan did notice something dark and wild during the fight, though. The last scene features Palpatine, who seems impressed with Anakin. Ha!

All in all, a very good book.

And the Canadian price is $16.99.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    So, this takes place after Rogue Planet?

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    If Anakin is 13, yes.

4. Master Chbel

Master Chbel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2000
    Palpatine makes his first appearance in the JA and JQ series? Great!!!!

5. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Oh, and it's 170 pages.

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Up.

Dern, I'm dumb. Of course it takes place after RP... Anakin builds his sabre.

7. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm going to check at chapters tommorow, I hope they have it...

8. CG-Realms

CG-Realms Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    Well MY B&N didn't have it:0! :) This is a book I'm going to have to call in to have held at the counter, being too embarrassed to go into the Jr. section. I'm not a reader of the JA series, but this book interests me, as do all Ep.1-Ep.2 bridgers.

9. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Geez, I love Anakin, but what a little psycho! He blows up the control ship, kills a blood carver, and now this guy. He's racking 'em up already.

10. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Well, stopped in at Coles last night, but no luck. Then again, they don't put books on the shelves right away. I usually have to flirt with the girls some to get them to look in the back for me (hey, it worked with Rebirth last week :D)

11. Ewan-Kenobi

Ewan-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 21, 2000
    What color is his lightsaber?

12. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Blue! of course...

13. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I still have not found it yet :(
    The guy in the store said that it was on order and should be there in 3-6 weeks.
    Right, like I can wait that long...

14. distantcamisa

distantcamisa Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2001
    the first b&n i called couldn't find it, but the second one eventually found it. i thought the beginning dragged a little, but it go better as it went on.

15. Master Chbel

May 6, 2000
    I read it today and really enjoyed it. Poor Obi-Wan though. He knows something is wrong (even a vision of Qui-Gon tries to tell him that), but he doesn't see what it is.

And the scene with Obi-Wan watching Palpatine with Anakin. Ouch. I want to know what the dear, kind chancellor :::dripping sarcasm::: said to the kid.

16. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    He knows something is wrong? Wrong with what? Seeing as I probably won't be seeing this book until Sept, I'm not sure what this "wrongness" refers to, something with Anakin? Something with Palpatine?

LOL! Should have known Watson would find a way to somehow get Qui-Gon in there trying to save the day even though he's dead though. ;)

17. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I picked up my copy this past weekend. The trick to finding these books at chain stores is learning how their distribution systems work.

In my experience (although we have an employee posting here who could confirm this), B&N likes to ship out to their stores as quickly as possible. They usually get the shipments from the publishers about two to three weeks before street date and then ship them to the stores right away.

If you get to know the managers, you can figure out how strict they are about street dates. And if you let them know what that date is, they can usually find the box in the back. Actually, depending on the stores, many just go straight to the shelves, no matter what the street date. (Research is key, here.)

Borders, however, is achingly slow. Unless it's a big publishing event, they won't even ship to their stores until the week of the street date. Then you have to wait for them to load the shelves. Again, get to know your managers.

I've read it and really enjoyed it. It is worth it for the cover alone. Very nice book! I'm not sure if it'll make it to paperback, though. I don't think Scholastic sells enough of these to rerun them in another version.

18. space case

space case Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 1999
    Does it bother anyone else that the book is in hardcover. Can you say rip off. Your paying twice the amount for the same type of book that the others were.

19. Master Chbel

May 6, 2000
    Obi-Wan isn't sure what is wrong--it's just a *bad feeling*.

He does know that Anakin is troubled, but Obi-Wan is becoming increasingly reluctant to voice his concerns with anyone--especially the Jedi Council.

20. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    So then, does it seem the Council might be apt to give him a hard time regarding Anakin? That would explain his reluctance to speak with them about it. If I remember correctly in a sample chapter or something, I can't remember where I read this--it seemed Obi-Wan had a hard time convincing them Anakin was ready to build his lightsaber.

Interesting...very interesting. :)

21. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    Seems that the SW authors are working very hard to convince us (as if we needed it!) that it's a HORRIBLE idea for Anakin to be trained as a Jedi. This is an emotionally unstable kid entering his teens(!) and we all know what fun the teen years are...

How we gonna like this guy even for ONE movie?

Anyway, I'm also interested to see how the comic series of Jedi Quest ties into this. How the story is expanded on.

Anyway, the book should come my way via Amazon in a few days and I'll let you all know what I think.

Matt

22. corran_rouge9

corran_rouge9 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2001
    I just got the book last night(and finished it, sadly as these are sooooo short). I liked it a lot. Something really creepy, that I discovered by accident, is that if you play Qui-Gon's funeral from the soundtrack whilst listening it fits the end of the book perfectly. Creates a really eerie dark mood. Anyway, Hayden Chirstianson has said with acting the part that he has to show moments of darkness and then moments of innocence. I think the books are doing a good job of that, although I agree that it's too much too soon. Hopefully "The Approaching Storm" will have Anakin keeping his anger under control.

*Spoilers for Episode II*:
    I also really like how they show Anakins bond with Shmi. Just a move against her by Krayn prompted Anakin to kill. It really adds to the idea that he will be unhinged by her death in Episode 2.

23. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I am confused on Anakin's lightsaber. Did he really make it, or did the spirit of Darth Maul give it to him. Or is it his own dark side he was envisioning. Obi-wan said he would see visions, but the vision gave him the lightsaber?

I feel that Anakin never had to go down the path he did, if only the lame council would have sent that kid to a shrink. Everyone treats him with the same laissez faire attiude, "Are feeling okay?" "Yeah, I guess....." "Great! Let's get on with it!"

Psychologists they're not. No one has any idea how Anakin struggles, and they don't even attempt to find out. "He'll act as a Jedi should." That's so stupid.

24. CG-Realms

Dec 21, 2000
    TF: He built it in his trance, wherein he experienced the vision of the fight with Darth Maul. If you haven't yet, read 'I, Jedi' by Mike Stackpole. Corran Horn goes through a similiar process, though as he isn't in a cave of visions, his trace is devoted entirely to the melding of the lightsaber.

I managed to pick up the book in question today (finally!!!). I didn't read the Jedi Apprentice series (or any children's/young adult fiction since the YJK finished up.), so I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. The book didn't suffer from simple word syndrome at all. (ie. limiting the vocabulary to make it an easier read. An example would be if she had written "The two Jedi got on the small ship, and it flew into the big ship.") It was also nice to see Obi-Wan represented a little less formal... (It was my biggest complaint about Rogue Planet... Obi-Wan didn't resemble Ep. IV Obi-Wan at all.) Watson portrayed the loose affection that would be expected of two people who share such a close relationship. It makes their duel in ANH all that more tragic. Contray to what alot of you seem to have felt, I found that Watson portrayed Anakin as a very sympathetic character. All his actions, even the wrong ones, had valid reasons behind them.

25. CG-Realms

Dec 21, 2000
    Also, this book was subtitled Path of Truth... Does this mean this is book 1 of a series?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.