main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Jesus may have been married, according to new evidence

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Sep 18, 2012.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Right . . .

It's probably impossible that he was referring to the Church, too.

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    What's the context in which the phrase was said?

"Take my wife... No seriously, take her."

...?

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Coptic? Did he also say something offensive about Muhammad?

/timely

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Dan Brown told me this like 8 years ago, so you're behind.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Damn shame he didn't name her in that scroll, if only to throw the Church into another hissy fit.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You're missing the rest of the papyrus, guys. Obviously what it clearly said originally was "My wife . . . is not a phrase I would ever say."

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    What if Danthe is Dan Brown?

10. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Okay, yeah. I could see marinating a chicken in that.

solojones likes this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A Harvard historian has identified a faded, fourth-century scrap of papyrus she calls "The Gospel of Jesus's Wife." One line of the torn fragment of text purportedly reads: "Jesus said to them, 'My wife …'" The following line states, "she will be able to be my disciple."

The finding was announced to the public today (Sept. 18) by Karen King, a historian of early Christianity, author of several books about new Gospel discoveries and the Hollis professor of divinity at Harvard Divinity School. King first examined the privately owned fragment in 2011, and has since been studying it with the help of a small group of scholars.

According to the New York Times, King and her collaborators have concluded that the business card-size fragment is not a forgery, and she is presenting the discovery today at a meeting of International Congress of Coptic Studies in Rome.

http://news.yahoo.com/jesus-had-wife-newly-discovered-gospel-suggests-202727064.html

12. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Smithsonian article is great, though it ends with

I hope we get to find out the results of the ink's spectrum analysis.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Even if it is real, it's still 300-400 years after Jesus' death... much, much later than all the other gospels. And there's been nothing else discovered so far to support this new claim.

However, if there's a string of discoveries that back this new claim, and some of the are actually close to the time of Jesus' life and when the other gospels were written... that's a whole different story.

Either way, I think it's irrelevant. Or at least it is for my Christian beliefs... but I guess there is still a significant percentage of Christians who view marriage and sex as somewhat flawed, and women as not completely equal to men. The Catholic leadership still hasn't embraced female priests, or re-embraced married priests; and many evangelical Protestant churches criticize sex itself as somehow being immoral or flawed or sinful in some way.

Kiki-Gonn and darthhelinith like this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i wonder if his wife liked his beard or if she was constantly bugging him to shave.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    She better have liked his beard.

ViolentVioletMenace likes this.
  16. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Sure it has. In Greco-Catholic liturgy married men can be ordained as priests, too (they must be married before they're ordained, though - once a single man is ordained, he cannot marry and must remain celibate).

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, and it's indicating there's a gradual transition underway, but right now they're more like exceptions to the rule.

18. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I would give this a big I-)on my interesting religious fact scale. As mentioned the manuscript is still a lot younger than the gospels or any other texts abouts Jesus, and most importantly I don't see how this changes anything about Jesus or his teachings.

Darth-Ghost and Mar17swgirl like this.
  19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I read the NYT article on the way in to work this morning, certainly very interesting, on the one hand absolutely no context (the piece of paper is about the size of a business card), on the other hand, what else could "my wife". One thought that occurred to me was that Jesus was telling a parable. Or he was quoting The Who's "My Wife" 1.5 millenia before the song was written.

20. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    Sorry to butt in and to derail the thread with this topic, but it just irks me when Catholic discipline is misunderstood.

Actually it's not a exception to the rule, since it is in fact the norm for many of the other 22 Catholic Churches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Catholicism) Which have been around for about 600 years. Also, if the Maronites claim to unbroken communion with the Bishop of Rome are to be believed then the Church has never had to re-embrace anything. And even then since the Church accepts the validity of the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and the Church of the East's Holy Orders and Matrimony, then Rome has always accepted the married priesthood. It's just that it's not what is done in the Latin Church(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_Church)

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was talking about the Roman Catholic Church, the one with over 1 billion members, obviously.

And I know that even they used to have married priests in the past, which is why I said "re-embrace."

Having married priests in the RCC today is still an exception to the rule, they're grandfathered in, but they currently believe that a priest must be fully committed and therefore shouldn't have any spouse/family that might take away their devotion to the church. That's why people who were born, baptised, raised, and confirmed as Catholics, who then go on to marry, are not allowed to become priests. Deacons, yes, but not priests. It's a simple fact. Saying "the Catholic Church doesn't embrace married priests" may be a generalization, but is it really complex enough to demand a nuanced description of the RCC's policies and history and comparison to other "catholic" churches? No. You can add nuance to it, but the statement is still accurate.

22. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    The Eastern Catholic Churches are still part of the Catholic Church and recognise the Pope as their head. They only differ slightly in liturgy and other traditions, and the fact that they can ordain married men. So the statement "Catholic Church doesn't allow married priests" is incorrect. The "Roman-" and "Greco-" prepositions mainly serve to distinguish between the different rites. But they're still one Catholic Church.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Turns out he also had no magic powers?

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No no, remember, those early writers and editors were still figuring out what his superpowers would be before they became G-canon.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ah so just like before Superman could fly? Just jump stupidly far?

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.