main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenduHopkins

BenduHopkins Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I don't bother to post much, but I will say this. JJ Abrams has never made a movie I've enjoyed. Produced or directed. And I'll also say, what he did with Star Trek was a travesty. Lucas is a unique filmmaker. He didn't please everyone. But he's made my favorite films of all time, and I especially include the prequels in that summation. I look forward to Lucas' next film, but I will skip Star Wars 7. To me, it'll be an EU experiment. Certainly not canon without Lucas steering it.

2. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I still kinda hope that they would wrap up TCW next season and do a post ROTJ series next that would bridge the gap to the ST and could introduce characters and possibly even make some EU stuff canon. Kinda like the first CW cartoon web series introduced Griveous prior ROTS. Hamill being a voice actor as well and Carrie having few jobs nowadays could use the show to ease them back into the characters. I think this would be fantastic and it would possibly the only way to get Thrawn. It would certainly lessen the exposition time for Episode VII. Whereas TCW were limeted to a short time period, this show could jump forward a few years between seasons.

LawJedi and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  3. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    You, Sir, are without hope...
    In case you haven't noticed, the treatments are by lucas, with others scriptwriting and directing, exactly the same as in TEB and ROTJ...

4. SciFi_NerdGirl

SciFi_NerdGirl Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2013
    I love my Star Wars over here and my Star Trek over there, with only Yoda and Q knowing of the bridge between.

Vastor likes this.
  5. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I really wanted to like this, but actually there's a big difference, as Lucas was exec producing those two and he got the final say because it was his production company making them. OTOH, Disney seems to let it's companies have free reign with their films and Lucas really trusts Kennedy, so...we shall see

6. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    I just watched a quick vid of JJ talking about Star Wars at the TED thingo in 2007. I have never heard him talk before or seen him on video, he seems to be a really intelligent nerd and that one minute clip has made me think we are in very good hands here.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanDumb

Subtypes:
    Chicken Little: Chicken Little sees doom in every raindrop, and lives in perpetual terror that the sky is about to come crashing down on top of him. Whilst no show can claim to be entirely perfect and flawless, the Chicken Little is terrified that any misstep on the part of the producers will result in cancellation. While it is, in fact, possible for shows to get worse, Chicken Little responds to every proposed change, every teaser, every trailer and every bit of Kudzu Plot with paranoia. Chicken Little also has almost no hope for any spinoffs. Expect these guys to be screaming "This game/show/book is going to SUUUUUUCK!" or "This will single-handedly ruin the franchise forever!!!"

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Merk bringin the heat.

On a similar note: I re-watched Star Trek again last night and loved the hell out of the lens flare.

9. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Nice analogy, Merkurian. I wonder how many people run around going 'the sky is falling!' when something happens that they don't like?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Whoa, I just went over to the Star Wars Episode 7 message board at the IMDB website. Such hostility. You would be forgiven for thinking that Disney has hired Uwe Boll to direct. Why such (apparent) dislike of Abrams? Or are they all just butt-hurt Star Trek fans? Honestly, it’s like a witch hunt over there.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    People's lives are boring and they enjoy making up imaginary debates. Favored topics are apple's "death spiral" to second-most-valuable-company on earth, JJ Abrams directing Star Wars, and Windows 8 "only" selling 60 million licenses since late October. :p

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I can relate even though I like Abrams enough to see the film. Problem is that thus far he's never made anything I've felt the desire to watch twice. So, yeah, your post will probably draw some "You'll be in line on the first day!" responses, but just ignore those.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Nerd Raaaaaaaaage!!!!!

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    In my experience, there's a culture of that on the IMDB boards, not just SW. Venture into another fandom, and I bet you'll see what I mean.

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nerd Forum Rage scares me. That's why I post on TFN and nowhere else.

16. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    It's Star Wars. People must complain and hate something... anything! And since all we know for now is the director, JJ will have to carry the burden until they confirm something else, and then the fans move on to hate and cry over that instead :p

17. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They seem to hate everything.

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Honestly, I'm calling it now. Episode 7 will probably receive just as much, if not more, hate than the entire PT. You will actually start to see many people proclaiming that the prequels to be higher quality than Episode 7 and calling for George Lucas to take on Episodes 8 and 9. Some fans are such hypocrites. However, they all seem to post on the IMDB forums.

19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I think it's going to be a much more fractured reaction. At the end of the day, the PT response was the cliche "gushers vs. bashers," with a little EU weirdness on the side.

This time around, I think we're going to have a multi-generational, multi-viewpoint reaction. The post-ROTJ EU loyalists. PT loyalists. OT loyalists. JJ loyalists. It could be a real mess.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We will complain about the pitiful portrayals delivered by the actors that should never have been cast... even when these actors are Oscar winning, Nobel Laureate caliber thespians.
    "The entire cast sucked and none of them can act!!!!!1!!!!1!!!one!!!!1!!!"

21. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Here, here! The PT should have hired Oscar-caliber actors, dang it!!! Instead they hired people like Liam Neeson and Natalie Portman!

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Wooden portrayals!!

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If this Schindler fellow happened to be the Casting Director for those dreadful prequels, I certainly hope they use somebody else's list for Episode VII...

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And there will be comments comparing Episode VII to childhood sexual assault perpetuated by Abrams.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    George Lucas JJ Abrams raped did what I do to my blowup doll my childhood!!!!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.