main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

joint x-mas meet?

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by darth_frared, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    I don't think we're going for a curry this time :p

2. Jedi_padawan_leigh

Jedi_padawan_leigh Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    I would love to come along to this, only problem is I'm gonna be chained to my till at primark through november and december, they don't do holidays through the christmas shopping period :rolleyes: , I only got gmex off because I begged and pleaded. But I'll see what I can do

3. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Don't worry Leigh, it's the same for me. It's really hard to book any time off in December, though early Dec I might be able.

4. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Oggi - I'd maybe be up for panto, and in theory I could stay up a day longer if it's not term time.

Leigh/Coz - are you working every day? Let's see, but a lot of other people on here may be off work or able to take time off. We could do a week day instead of weekend, which I guess is when you'll be needed in most?

5. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I wont be working everyday, but the weekend before christams till the last weekend of Dec is when I'll be need the most. I don't know the dates for xmas holidays at my college but doing this on a weekday may work for me.

Tim, did get time off for the Dr.Who meet last year if you remember so I might not be too bad.

6. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    The York Panto's are well renowned around here, but like Spike said - not my thing really.

The mystery plays thing - did you mean the Shakespeare ones specifically? They do put plays in the park on every summer, but there was a shakespeare special last year.

I'm racking my braisn trying to think of this hotel you mean, but all the ones near the railway station are no better than PTI and certainly no cheaper. The chepaest play would be the hostel on Micklegate. But there is a good central PTI - i'd avoid the Travelodge and the Ibis in York, both are really bad even by their lofty standards!

Dates wise - right now for me things are fine - so work with your restrictions and we'll see what happens!

7. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    I'd rather do a PTI if we can't get the cheap one Tim brought up.

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    My fault, it's technically a "B&B" not a hotel. It's called Elliots - http://elliotts.yorkwebsites.co.uk/
    Last time I stayed, got a single for £35 per night, so far haven't seen the other ones beat that. And it wasn't bad a place, lovely family running it, and had a full breakfast (and there is a full veggie option too) in with what you already paid for the room. So unlike PTI / Travelodge, breakfast is sorted.

The Mystery Plays go back before Shakespeare (first recorded pageant wagons goes back to 1376AD), didn't realise last year was themed that way when I was there. I know Jase and his Mum had said they were special last year, so didn't realise they were on every year - must be a smaller format. When I mean mystery plays - they are the ones based on chapters in the Bible - basically it was to teach the uneducated medieval lower classes who didn't have access to the Bible aside for in their Churches - and make it "fun" for them - pageant wagons rolled through York's streets and set up in various locations to perform those plays. Those are the ones I mean ;)

http://www.yorkmysteryplays.org/index_highres.htm
    http://www.yorkmysteryplays.co.uk/index.htm

Doesn't seem to have happened this year, can't find anything :(

9. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Elliots looks nice [face_peace]

10. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Forgot to say about Elliots - I booked via phone but within minutes of that booking they had emailed the full details to me. They were fast and efficient and looked after any enquiries I had - let me keep my bags in there quite early. So if I am in York, I'd definitely be staying there again, before anywhere like PTI (which I use in most other places).

Just checked - prices have gone up a little but still not bad.

Single from £37.50
    Large twin from £75.00

Great they account for single people staying over, which is why I think I stayed there last time.

11. ForceGhostOfCozmic

Apr 25, 2005
    Cool, would be handy for us NW member and possibly NE too. Do you know if they do group bookings?

12. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Whatever you guys decide is good for me.

13. VenHalcyon

Apr 26, 2005
    Well as I said - if we do York I can put a few people up with some floor space - reckon I can get 3 in to my gaff!

Tim - didn't realise there was all that history behind it! Coolness.

14. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Bagsy a floor space spot @ Ven's.

15. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    ok I claim a settee/couch - or maybe a spare bed ??

:p

16. VenHalcyon

Apr 26, 2005
    Spare bed!? Heh - see my couch is actually a sofa bed, the problem is that if you pull it out no one can get past it - which is a problem becuase it's an old terrace with a downstairs loo & bathroom! You could still sleep on it as though, but a taller gent such as yourself Chris, might be a bit cramped!

17. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Ah Chris, you know that sleeping on the floor is muchos fun :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.