main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Joss Whedon Rules! (ie The Buffy and Angel Thread)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Princess_Skywalker_, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    i enjoyed the episode, although the dialogue wasn't as smart as some of the earlier episodes this year... it was cool that they brought in mentions of nearly every major character on the show (connor, lilah get references, doyle appears on widescreen)... cordy seemed almost to pull a janet jackson in some of those shots... it was kind of a surprise that they pretty much wrapped up the whole lindsey story arc in one episode.. i thought they might drag that out for the whole season...... unless we aren't done with lindsey yet... or perhaps eve's got some tricks left as revenge.

"Who's Colin Farrel?" -- Cordy.

2. Princess_Skywalker_

Princess_Skywalker_ Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 5, 2002
    I forgot to mention: Eve getting smacked around. Priceless. And about damn time.

I agree on the Lindsey part. I was sure he was going to be a baddie until the end. I kinda like him and the way they took him out made him seem lame. He never struck me as the whiny type before.

Was surprised when Angel called him DOYLE in the beginning of their fight, then called him Lindsey the rest of the time. And he didn't say it (Doyle) in his usual sarcastic manner. He said it like he meant it. Odd.

I thought the writing was cheesy in spots as well but I was very happy with the way they wrapped a lot of things up. Overall an excellent episode in my opinion.

One last thing... Doyle on screen. "Our rats are low"... Wow. It really bummed me out, but that scene was perfection. In one moment it brought us back to the beginning of Angel and how they use to feel about things. I know the episode before helped set a lot of that up. (With Lindsey making Spike into the old Angel)... But there was something about seeing Doyle on screen again. It was nice. It reminded me of how much I really liked the early eps and how much he brought to them.
    Makes me wonder if he were still alive, would they have brought him back for a cameo after all? So sad. I really liked him on the show. sigh.

For some reason I found the bit about eating the Manolo Blahniks hilarious. ;p

oh and "long time no see princess!"

yeah. been busy. you know how it is. there's always something. school, working at the double meat palace, taking care of bratty little sisters, saving the world... ;p

3. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    i liked the fact that Spike was playing Donkey Kong on his XBOX (which afaik, isn't on the XBOX).

lindsey's invisibility to sensors makes possible the fact that he knows what angel is up to.. he can just sneak into W&H... and btw, the W&H building seems to have changed angles... is one side the stair-stepped block building and the other side the skyscraper plaza?

4. Tigrrl

Tigrrl Jedi Youngling

Nov 21, 2003
    Doyle (aka Glenn Quinn) an Irishman, passed away Dec. 3rd, 2002. He won't be coming back to Angel, or any other show, sadly. So it goes. He was one of my favorite actors.

5. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Yeah that's why I put if he were still alive. ;)

He really brought a lot to the show and I actually enjoyed him on Roseanne as well.

If you get the chance, read farther back on this thread. If I remember we did have a nice long discussion on him.

It's nice to see this isn't just a few people posting anymore. We need to get this thread to a nice respectable size! Where are all the Buffy & Angel fans?

6. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Ok so I was flipping around the tv channels this am. Because I had a feeling there MIGHT be something better on then Saved By The Bell. As much as I love the wacky antics of that lovable Screech, I decided to live life on the edge and flip away.

So I was checking my digital cable guide, paging down really fast and I saw:
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer. And it was an episode, NOT the movie. TWO episodes. And I thought wait a minute! Buffy and Angel are on the weekends. Buffy is never on during the week!?! What the heck is going on??

THEN I SAW IT. I looked to the left of the screen to see what channel was showing this out of character buffy episode during the week......

Low and behold it was: FX!!!

HOLY CRAPMOBILE BATMAN. I FINALLY, AFTER TWO FREAKIN YEARS, HAVE FX ON MY DIGITAL CABLE SYSTEM.
    Amen.
    Hallelujah.

See boys and girls... Miracles DO happen everyday.

"I'm as happy as a little girl" :D

Oh and it was the Willow going all bad and fileting Warren episode. Sigh. DOES life get any better than this?? I think not. Buffy, four times a day. Sniff. Just wonderful.
    But don't think this gets us out of the Buffy goodness party loyal henchman. ;)

7. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Yes, but the ones in the morning are a replay of the previos afternoon.

-D-

8. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Yes I do remember that from when I use to get the channel many moons ago. But you're talking to a seriously deprived Buffy fan! lol I haven't been able to really watch it for a good couple of years and it's been agony. (I'm not counting the MEASLEY 2 eps they sometimes have on the WB weekend, since I always seem to miss them anyways). ;p So any Buffy is good Buffy. Though I also DO have the current eps on tape already from when they first ran. I can't wait for FX to start over at Season 1. It's been too long. One of these past weekends they had "Innocence" on the WB Sun am and I forgot how much I LOVED that episode. It's just been too long. I am in need of a major Buffy binge soon. :p Gotta keep my addiction in check.

9. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    oh mighty ruler, i believe you mean "flay" and not "fillet" -- flay means to remove the skin from (like WIllow did to Warren) while fillet means to cut into strips or bone. oddly enough to bone something can mean either to take the bones out of, or put bone-like supports into...

10. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I [face_love] Buffy binges. I got the seasons 1-5 for x-mas. I binged for quite a while.
    I can hardly wait for season 6.
    must have. must buy.

-D-
    bought a five disk dvd changer so I don't have to get up for hours ;)

11. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh so jealous! I wanted all the seasons of Buffy on dvd but I bought other stuff and paid bills with my Xmas $. :p

What about this definition James? ;)
    Loyal Henchman:
    Carries out all duties, master plans, dirty work, etc. of evil genius and never questions them. ;p

I noticed you didn't mention the buffy goodness. ;P Slacking in our duties are we? ;)

12. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    slackin' indeed! have me fed to the sharks or ill-tempered sea bass! btw, angel season 3 went on sale today.. i'm gonna wait until i get my next Target discount card before i pick it up..

13. liquido

liquido Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Was it just me, or did Charisma Carpenter seem to have a hard time getting back into her role?

14. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Ooh! An Angely goodness season 3 party perhaps??

slackin' indeed! have me fed to the sharks or ill-tempered sea bass!
    what about the laser beams attached to the shark's heads? don't forget those! ;p

As for Cordy. I never liked her much, was glad to see her good. The one good thing about that ep to me was that she woke up and was suddenly Cordy from the first seasons of Angel. The only Cordy I could semi-tolerate. Maybe that's what seemed off? Because she didn't act like the Cordy of later seasons??

"Where's Conner?" ;P
    I think Cordy secretly had a thing for Conner, not Angel. Yep. All that I wasn't myself, it was evil possessed Cordy... all an act. All that ooohhh I love Angel. An act. She was using him to get to Conner. But what about the fact that she was all mushy to Angel way before Conner was even on? She can see the future. Visions, remember? She saw Conner in the future and said, now there's a boy I could rob the craddle with. Yep. ;p

15. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Little underwheled with this latest episode. It was ok, I especially liked the interaction with Angel and Spike but all in all not great but ok.

16. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    it was a little tough getting inside Lawson's head at the end...it seemed too much that he was simply looking to be put out of his misery, for lack of purpose..

the prince of lies was funny.

of course the episode does set up some potential for the US government having a Covert Vampire Ops unit, which could come back into play...

17. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    "it seemed too much that he [Lawson] was simply looking to be put out of his misery, for lack of purpose.."

I look at that in a slightly different way: I think Lawson did come to Angel looking for a purpose and - either because the writers ran out of ideas or as a statement about this season's theme - all Angel could give him was death.

Personally, I wish the other regulars had been cut from this episode almost entirely. That Fred, Wes, and Gunn were attacked and tied up didn't really add anything to the episode, and in fact took time away that could have been used developing Lawson's character.

Also, the Prince of Lies is my hero. I'm going to miss that guy.

18. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    maybe the Prince of Lies is so ancient that he has the ability to re-form like Dracula did... he was a cool vamp... brought comic relief to the episode...

so... it's been several decades since WWII, has the US govt kept up its program to use vamps and other demons? or did it lose it, and the Initiative was a fresh start without all that experience...

i can imagine they could do a lot with the seed planted about a government program using vamps... (see comic Covert Vampiric Ops: CVO, by IDW publishing)

also visit the website of the Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency: FVZA

19. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    I agree with Chewie, the episode was blah. It was entertaining only when Angel and Spike were interacting. I have enjoyed every episode but this one this season. Most of the plot didn't even flow. Especially the whole Lawson part. He knew only he could save them. In my opinion he was asking Angel to bite him. He seemed to know full well what was happening. Then there was the whole feeding frenzy rip off from Interview with a Vampire. Uhm, ok. ;p Then all this whiny stuff about a purpose? Uh, yah. Yawn. Basically it was all about him wanting Angel to kill him. Why didn't he just go lay out in the sun? So dumb.

20. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    i think he was kinda ambivalent on getting killed... deep down that's what he wanted, but he didn't know he wanted it... he wanted some sort of revenge on angel for giving him such an empty life... unfortunately, even vengeance would have been empty for him i think...

21. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    sadly, all good things must come to an end... friday, the cast of Angel was told that this will be the final season of Angel... not sure exactly why, considering how well it seems to be doing, judging by DVD sales..

22. liquido

liquido Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Besides DHC, is this the end of the Buffyverse?

23. Princess_Skywalker_

Nov 5, 2002
    Tis a sad, sad day. Yeah I heard that too this weekend Loyal Henchman. They could have at least kept it on a couple of years after the end of Buffy. Well I will be happy if Angel finally gets to live a happy life and ride off into the sunset with Buffy. :p yeah, I know, like Joss will let THAT happen. geez.

24. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Hey, guys, I just was introduced to Angel and Buffy, by my friend, and it is very good. He has all of the season DVD's that are out, so, I'm gonna keep on watching them, and get more into it. Just two questions. What is your favorite show of each series, buffy and angel, and have you ever heard of another Joss Whedon show, Firefly? Also, what are your thoughts on both things?

25. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    heh.. have i heard of Firefly? yup.. got the DVD set!

one of the great things about Buffy and Angel is that they are generally well written... i'm not one to have 'favorite' episodes, though..

glad you're hooked too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.