main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Journal of Mark Tantiss: (2012 Diary Challenge: AU, OC, L/M) COMPLETE with fanart

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Jan 3, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Title: Journal of Mark Tantiss
    Author: Jedi_Lover
    Time Frame: Right after TTT
    Characters: OC Mark Tantiss, Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade & others
    Summary: This is a journal of the last surviving clone from Mount Tantiss. This OC character is from my completed fanfic http://boards.theforce.net/threads/second-to-none-au-l-m-l-h-oc-03-08-2012-replies-and-artwork.32000896/]Second[/url] to None
    Disclaimer: George Lucas owns Star Wars.

NOTE: Because of some glitches during our website move, chapters posted prior to the move are truncated after 10,000 characters. If you wish to read the earlier chapters you can go to: http://www.fanfiction.net/~jedilover

There I have this story and my other stories I have written over the years.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Entry 1. Location: Star Destroyer Independence

Two days ago the ship psychologist gave me this datapad. He said I could use it to catch up on recent events from the Holonet, but he also suggested that I keep a journal. He said it would help me organize my thoughts and help ease the anxiety of being thrust into such unusual circumstances.

Unusual circumstances?now that?s an understatement if I have ever heard one. My memory only reaches back a few days. I woke up on this ship surrounded by doctors. I didn?t know who I was; I couldn?t even remember my name. The doctors all act strange around me. I could see them whispering between themselves as they gazed at me curiously like I?m some sort of freak. Whenever I tried to ask them what was going one they always had an emergency to run off to in another part of the medward.

Finally the ship psychologist, a middle aged human male named Otwan, was called in to talk to me. Apparently I was rescued from a cloning facility in a place called Mount Tantiss on a planet named Wayland. He asked me if I had any recollections of the place. I tried to reach back further into my memory and I did find a few glimpses of events of a time before I came to this ship.

I remember a short moment of panic. I couldn?t focus my eyes and I was coughing water out of my lungs. I remember voices, but my mind was jumbled and I lash out at them. The last thing I remember was something cold and metallic against my neck and the sound of what I now realize must have been a hypodermic injector?then darkness.

The ship psychologist says it is normal that I cannot remember my past, because I have no real past?I?m a clone.

I remember sitting in the medical bed wanting to laugh in the doctor?s face. I know what a clone is, but I can?t be a clone?I know things. I?m a soldier. I?ve been trained. I don?t remember getting the training, but I have extensive knowledge on battle tactics, weapons, combat support equipment and even battlefield first aid. I must have learned these things from somewhere. I know I?m a soldier?I must have a brain injury and have amnesia.

Somehow I felt the doctor?s emotions?I don?t know how?maybe I just saw it in his face, but he felt sorry and worried for me. He continued to tell me his clone story, but I refused to believe.

Finally he gets on his comlink and asks somebody to come into the room. A young man, probably in his mid to late twenties entered. He is average height, blond and blue eyed. As soon as he gets close an irritating buzz started in my head.

The man introduces himself as Luke Skywalker. The name means nothing to me and I looked at the doctor confused as to why he brought this man here and why I was now getting a raging migraine. The doctor handed me a mirror. I remember asking him what the hell he wanted me to do with it. He just told me to look at my face.

I look into the mirror and to my horror I see the face of Luke Skywalker staring back at me. I drop the mirror and gazed dumbfounded at the man standing next to me. My stomach clenched with the realization that it was true. I am a clone.

2. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Interesting beginning that Luke's clone called himself Mark instead.

I'm interested to see where you take this fic.

3. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Yay! You did it [face_dancing]

I'm so going to enjoy this one.

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Great start! I am glad you are doing this. I loved this little missing scene from your fic.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Very glad to see a Mark diary. I foresee lots of laughs.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool beans JL! It's up! :D Perfect missing scene to start with.

7. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    An inside look at the mind of Mark Tantiss? Oh yes![face_dancing]

I can't wait for more!:D

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks everybody. I think the hardest part about writing his diary is trying to do it in a way that if you didn't read Second to None you could still understand it and enjoy the fic.

~JL~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Entry 2. Location: Star Destroyer Independence

Skywalker stopped by to talk to me again. He tells me he?s a Jedi. I know about Jedi. I know they were once leaders of a great clone army, but they were all declared traitors and killed.

I guess they missed one.

He said the clone wars ended decades ago. I?ll have to take his word for it. My historical knowledge ends a little after Chancellor Palpatine declares himself Emperor?obviously my cloner didn?t bother to update the historical flash training module.

Skywalker said because I?m his clone I should be able to use the Force. He tried to tell me more, but I get a horrible headache whenever he?s around?it?s like a humming in my head. He said he would talk to me another time.

I don?t know what to think about being a clone of a Jedi. I did a holonet search on the name Luke Skywalker. I only got 1.5 trillion hits. He was a farmer on a rimworld planet and in a few years he managed to save a Princess off an Imperial Battle Station, then blow up that same battle station, and then helped in the destruction of a second Imperial Battle Station.

I am not sure where Palpatine got the financing to make all these super weapons. I guess after he got one finished he just strolls into a bank and says, ?Hey, see that battle station up in the sky that can destroy this entire planet?I would like to use it as collateral to finance a second one.?

I?m rambling. I think I like to write because it keeps my mind preoccupied. Then I don?t have to worry about what?s going to happen to me. I really doubt Luke Skywalker, savior of the universe, is going to let me, his identical clone, go on my merry way when we get planetside.

9. Book-Geek

May 28, 2011
    I really doubt Luke Skywalker, savior of the universe, is going to let me, his identical clone, go on my merry way when we get planetside.

Got that right, bud.

I guess after he got one finished he just strolls into a bank and says, ?Hey, see that battle station up in the sky that can destroy this entire planet?I would like to use it as collateral to finance a second one.?

Yep. That's Mark alright.

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I am not sure where Palpatine got the financing to make all these super weapons.

It's okay Mark, no one else knows either :p

Great update!

11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I guess they missed one.

[face_laugh]

I am not sure where Palpatine got the financing to make all these super weapons.

I do! Taxes and more taxes, and cutting public workers salaries, and more taxes, and cutting on heath and education costs, and more taxes, and so on... Sorry! Needed to rant.

I guess after he got one finished he just strolls into a bank and says, ?Hey, see that battle station up in the sky that can destroy this entire planet?I would like to use it as collateral to finance a second one.?

Or that! :p

12. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    I don't think Luke is going to let him go and if Mark gets a headache being around the original host, think how Luke must be feeling.

I bet he keeps his visits short just because of the buzzing sensation.

Loved the comments can't wait for the next post :)

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update with Mark's unique voice. He's totally not like Luke at all in the cynical/snark department; ;) [face_thinking] so it's endearing to imagine someone hot as Luke ;) with Correllian mouth [face_laugh]

Hazel posted:
    I do! Taxes and more taxes, and cutting public workers salaries, and more taxes, and cutting on health and education costs, and more taxes, and so on...

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] :rolleyes: :oops:

Portugal sounds a lot LOT! like the U.S. :p

14. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I'm so excited to read more about Mark. He's too fun!! And a hot Skywalker clone loose in the galaxy. Watch out, ladies!!! [face_mischief]

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Entry 3. Location: Star Destroyer Independence

This day started out interesting. A very sexy looking lady walked into my room this morning. She was dressed as a patient, but even in her baggy medward pajamas and robe I could see the sweet curves of her body and the swell of her breasts clearly outlined. She had brilliant reddish gold hair that flowed over her shoulders and piercing green eyes. She comes over to my bed to talk to me. I asked who she was and she gave me a confused look before telling me her name is Mara.

She then starts talking to me telling me how she is so glad I was okay. I?m confused. I?m fairly sure if I had met this woman at anytime in my short life I would definitely remember her. Then she starts telling me she at one time wanted to kill me?that I was her biggest mark.

At that point, I started to get a little nervous. Did this woman just wander out of the psych ward? I asked her what she meant by me being her mark. She offhandedly defines the term as a target of assassination. Hell, I know what the term ?mark? means?I want to know why she wanted to kill me!

I try to be calm. I asked her if she still wants to kill me. I tensed, waiting for her answer. I know my muscles are weak from atrophy from being in a cloning cylinder, but I am ready to make a break out of this room if I have to.

She laughed and told me no, then she starts talking about how the Emperor lied to her and how she was so wrong about me. She is smiling and patting the top of my hand. I turned my hand to hold hers. Her hand is warm and I can almost feel gratitude and affection radiating off of her. I do have to admit?with her good looks maybe it wouldn?t be so bad that she?s a little dangerous. That could be somewhat erotic in a lets-hope-she-doesn?t-kill-me-after-sex kind of way. But then she said something that totally busted up any girlfriend fantasy I was formulating?she called me Skywalker.

Great. That was just great. She thinks she's talking to Skywalker. She rambles on about how much she likes Skywalker and she would be honored if he would be her friend. I try to break into her monologue, but she is determined to get the words out?like she?s afraid if she didn?t say the words now, she may never.

I was really glad when the real Skywalker showed up. I almost busted out laughing when she saw him. She shot off the edge of my bed like a missile. She turned and looked at us?her head whipped back and forth between me and Skywalker so fast I am surprised she didn?t get whiplash.

Skywalker tried to calm her down by telling her I was his clone. She just shrieked ?I killed him!?

Luke tells her I am a different clone. So now I?m wondering why in the worlds is she killing any of the clones? Maybe she is some escaped lunatic.

When I ask Skywalker about this, he just tells me she had to kill the clone, inferring it was self-defense. Somehow I am not comforted by that admission.

Wow, that Mara has a hot temper. She stalked out of the room to talk to my original. I almost felt sorry for him?almost. This was getting interesting. They have been out talking while I am making this data entry. I hope the woman comes back. She may be moody, but she is definitely easy on the eyes.

16. Book-Geek

May 28, 2011
    Poor, freaked out Mark. To him, Mara probably did sound like she was fresh out of the pysch ward.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    [face_laugh] I love reading these events over again from Mark's POV.

18. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    [face_laugh] Poor confused Mark. Mara thinks she's talking to Luke and it turns out to be another clone and she choose a good time to get things off her mind.

More soon :)

19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    So funny to read this from Mark's POV. Mara really did seem like a crazy woman. 8-}

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Aha! So mark almost had a crush on Mara huh at the start there? It'd be very strange if he didn't. :D

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, he admitted it on Coruscant that the first two or so days he had a crush.

Thanks everybody for reading. I know I only need two posts per month, but there is so much that Mark could be saying.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Entry 4. Location: Star Destroyer Independence

Well, it turns out Mara isn?t an escaped lunatic, but was in the Medward because she was injured while fighting down on Wayland.

I was told that the buzzing in my head was some sort of Force backlash because I am Luke?s clone. Skywalker said he thinks we can stop the feedback if I learn how to shield with the Force. With both of us shielding we may be able to stop the painful humming noise we are experiencing.

So I am now supposed to learn how to shield with the Force. I?m not really sure what that entails, but I?m thinking why not just keep Skywalker away from me? It?s a big universe, I am sure we can find different planets to live on. That would be the simplest answer, and why that isn?t the first option makes me wonder what plans this Skywalker has for me.

But I don?t press the issue because Mara is going to teach me to shield and I don?t mind spending more time with her. Heck, I look just like Skywalker?whom she?s obviously interested in?so if Skywalker doesn?t snatch her up, maybe she?ll be interested in me.

Yeah, like that?s going to happen.

I see the way those two look at each other. Or should I say, try not to look at each other. Mara will gaze at Luke when he is talking to me, but when he glances in her direction she looks anywhere but at him. Skywalker does the same thing. When Mara talks to me I can see him stare at her with an intensity of a man interested in a woman?but as soon as she looks his way he suddenly finds the top of his boots absolutely fascinating.

Still, I like being around her. I remember the way she held my hand the first time we met. She looked at me with such friendship and admiration?that was the first time I felt a connection with anyone. It was an amazing sense of camaraderie. To civilians the word camaraderie probably has little meaning, but I was made to be a soldier. A soldier has comrades?but I had nobody?unless you counted doctors who avoid me, or a Jedi original who gives me a headache.

I don?t even think the ship psychiatrist has any idea how lost I feel.

First, I find out I wasn?t born, but developed in a laboratory cylinder?like common bacteria in a culture dish. I have no past, no mother, no father, no family, no friends?I don?t even know if I have a soul. I feel adrift?like a boat broken free from its moor?but then Mara walked into my room and said she would be honored to be my friend. I realize she thought she was talking to Skywalker at the time, but it was like somebody throwing me a lifeline?I was no longer alone.

I?m rambling again.

Anyway, Mara came to my room and said she would train me. Before we started the Force training she asked me my name. Of course, I have no name. I?m a number to my cloners, not a person.

I try to think of something to call myself and then I remembered her earlier words?when she told me ?I was her biggest mark.? Now, I know it might sound strange to be sentimental about a woman saying she wanted to kill me, but the way she said ?I was hers?, made me feel wanted?like I belonged. At that moment, what I wanted more than anything in the universe was to always be her ?mark?. So I stopped being known as Skywalker?s clone and I became Mark. Her Mark.

23. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I really liked this update. You make Mark's thoughts and feelings so realistic. Good job!

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Awww! I love Mark thinking of himself as Mara's Mark. Great update!

25. Book-Geek

May 28, 2011
    Awww!!! I love it! Mark knowing he belongs because he's Mara's Mark![face_love] Perfect, just perfect!