main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jurassic Park IV?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Dubya_Fett, Jul 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dubya_Fett

Dubya_Fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Well, "Jurassic Park III" made about $80,000,000 in its first five days, showing that people will still line up to watch prehistoric monsters chase people around. There is already talk of a "Jurassic Park IV", and one possible hint of more to come can be found at the end of "Jurassic Park III". Joe Johnston has said that Steve Spielberg has quite a different direction in mind for the fourth film, so what do you think will happen in the next one, and who will be in it? Also, what dinosaurs would you like to see in a fourth movie, or do you think this franchise should be made extinct?

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I think JP 4's premise could be set during the Jurassic era. No people, just dinos.

3. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I thought the ending should have consited of a large commercial passenger jet, followed by the dino's killing all on board and flying out before the plane crashed. It would have been the best JP ever! [face_plain]

I like the idea that the time period be back in time. However, the people come by virture of a toster time machine.

4. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    JP2 had a GREAT ending because no one expected the T-Rex was going to be killing humans in San Diego. That ending was SO cool.
    SPOILER
    SPOILER
    SPOILER about the end of JP3

So why didnt JP3 have the marines at the end fight the big dino. I was expecting the Big Dino to come out of the trees and start attacking the marines. The Raptor ending wasn't all that good. IF the Big Dino attacked the Marines that would of made the movie 2x's better then it was already.

oh well. JP4 should be about the government wanting to DESTROY the Dino's. So they send marines in there to finish them off. But NO the Dinos fight BACK. something like that

5. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    If you have not seen "Jurassic Park III" yet, spoilers ahead!

One thing I was wondering about JP3 was the fact that there were new species of dinosaurs on Isla Sorna that Grant said were not on InGen's official list. This suggested that InGen had continued creating new dinosaurs on Site B even after the San Diego incident, however there was no direct explanation in the film. This just might be a case of sloppy editing and screenwriting, or maybe this is a clue to "Jurassic Park IV".

The US and Costa Rican governments are dead set against anyone visiting Isla Sorna. Ellie Satler's husband is involved in intergovernmental relations, and it is he who helps get the US military to rescue Grant, Billy, and the Kirbys from the island.

I was wondering if the new dinosaurs and "evolved" Velociraptors were in fact secretly created by the US government, for whatever reasons. Because there are already dinosaurs on the island and security is tight, no one would be the wiser. JP4 could involve the US Army being sent in to contain dinosaurs that have escaped to the Costa Rican mainland. Grant or Malcolm or both could be sent to help them. During the course of the chaos, the US government's clandestine cloning experiments are revealed. In desperation, the Pentagon nukes Isla Sorna, but it is too late: the film's final shot reveals that the dinosaurs have already made it to America, which could set up a possible "Jurassic Park V": the USA becomes one big dinosaur stomping ground.

Another idea of mine is that a mysterious disease is killing remote villagers in Costa Rica. Investigators discover that the disease is actually a prehistoric virus from the Mesozoic Era carried by the cloned dinosaurs. The dinosaurs are naturally immune to the disease, but it is fatal to humans. The virus threatens to become an epidemic that will wipe out humanity and make dinosaurs the dominant species on Earth.

I don't like the idea of a "Jurassic Park" movie actually set in the Jurassic Period. JP is all about humans and dinosaurs interacting in the modern world. What characters would the audience relate to, unless the dinosaurs talked? And we've already seen that movie - it was called "Dinosaur".

As for new dinosaurs in the next JP movies, I'd like to see a wider variety: maybe the Styracosaur, Microceratops, Iguanadon, Hypsilophodon, and Seismosaur as the peaceful herbivores. As for the carnivores, how about the Carnotaurus, Megaraptor, Archeopteryx, Oviraptor, Dimorphodon, and Dimetrodon (I know, a Dimetrodon is not technically a dinosaur, but neither are the Pterosaurs)? I'd also like a marine reptile. An Icthyosaur, Plesiosaur, or Mosasaur perhaps?

I was disappointed that the rumoured Ankylosaur vs. Velociraptors scene did not end up in JP3. The Spinosaur vs. T-Rex fight was great; let's see a herbivore defend itself against a carnivore in the next one.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I say Star Wars! Ooh, good God y'all, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin', nothin'..."

6. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    JMASTER LUKE: I liked the T-Rex in San Diego scene in "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" (I know a lot of people didn't), but I saw it coming, as the same thing happens in "King Kong" and the 1925 version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's original "The Lost World".

As for the ending of JP3, I think originally the Spinosaur was going to emerge from the jungle and attack the Marines, when another T-rex (the slain one's mate?) appears for a rematch as our heroes make their escape. This was probably cut because it resembled the ending of the original JP too much and was repetitive, or perhaps because of production overruns.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I say Star Wars! Ooh, good God y'all, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin', nothin'..."

7. Ecstacy

Ecstacy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2001
    Actually, that would have been a cool ending. Have the Spinosaurus come out of the woods and stand there hovering over the marines, when all of a sudden the T-Rex's mate pops out of the woods with the little Rex and start chomping at Spiny. Eventually the T-Rex will win and show why he is King of All Lizards.

8. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    YEAH T-REX ROCKS. I still like the T-Rex better then the NEW dino. :)

9. The_Skywalker

The_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2001
    Someone should secretly set up Jurassic Park again. This time, it will be open to all. Grant and Malcom get word and speak to Hammond. Hammond sends them to Isla Nublar to stop production. Then, the Spinosaurus attacks again. But the T-Rex joins the fight. More Raptor chases, new characters, new dinosaurs, and the production of that new, biggest dinosaur(I just heard about it, i don't know the name. Correct me if it doesn't exist). That would give the Spinosaurus and T-Rex a run for their money. It could be a surprise to the audience.

I don't know. Could be somethin' else.

10. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Dubya, JP3 takes place before The Lost World.
    Well, for JP4 how about just a faithful adaptation of Conan Doyle's The Lost World. Put it in the 1920's and send them up the Amazon.

11. The_Skywalker

May 23, 2001
    It takes place before TLW? So the raptors just got dumber between movies? Seriously, no sarcasm intended. I didn't know that.

12. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    JP3 being a prequel to TLW is just an old rumour that has been debunked (anyone who has seen the film knows this). The action in JP3 takes place on Isla Sorna, the home of Site B from TLW, which has become a restricted island under the protection of the US and Costa Rican governments. Grant actually makes a reference to "the incident in San Diego" in a funny scene.

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "'Star Wars' fans need not be ashamed. As for 'Goonies' fans, I pity those poor misguided bastards."

13. The_Skywalker

May 23, 2001
    That's what I thought.

14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, I have seen it and you're right it does take place on Site B. So your earlier guess about it being a plot hole could be correct.

15. Ecstasy

Ecstasy Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2001
    There is no plot hole. It takes place after the Lost World.

Grant makes a comment near the beginning of the movie where he stated that he didn't witness the San Diego incident.

Anyone else notice that the male raptors had little feathers on their heads while the female raptors didn't?

UPDATE: JP3 has crossed the $100 million dollar mark today. It only took 9 days.

16. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    ECSTASY: Yeah, I noticed. Good design move on Stan Winston and ILM's part to update the Raptors' look, especially with new theories that the smaller theropods were feathered. I also like how the Raptors were smarter in a realistic way. The latest studies argue that birds, which may be evolved from theropod dinosaurs, are very intelligent despite their small brain size. Some have observed crows and ravens speaking in a language - complete with regional dialects -, displaying problem solving abilities, and using simple tools. Others suggest the intelligence of parrots rivals that of the great apes or a five year old human child, so Grant's theories that the Raptors could be just as intelligent is not that far-fetched.

For the last time, ShaneP, JP3 is set AFTER TLW (Man, old internet rumours die hard. Does this mean people are going to complain about Mace Windu not being revealed as the traitor when Episode II comes out?).

By the way, am I crazy or was that director Steve Soderbergh in an unbilled cameo in the end as a member of the rescue party?

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I made Steve Sansweet uncomfortable at Comic-Con and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."

17. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    It seems to me that everyone's going on about how sucky the ending was, with the raptors... wasn't teh ending to the original book extremely similar?

Man that was a good book.

I'd like to see them go back and try to make a movie of the book, following it better than the first movie did. Sort of like how the new Planet of the Apes is based on the book, not the old movie.

18. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    Actually, the new "Planet of the Apes" movie is sort of a combination of the book and the original movie, with some new elements thrown in. If it was based solely on Pierre Boulle's novel "Monkey Planet" it would have the apes driving around in cars and helicopters, and the ending would involve the Eiffel Tower.

I liked the scene where Grant "made peace" with the Raptors in the end, and the fact that the Raptors aren't motivated by evil or ruthless bloodlust. They are simply animals trying to survive. The main problem, I believe, is that the audience was waiting for the Spinosaur's comeuppance in the end, and we didn't get that. It's funny how people get so used to Hollywood cliches that when they are denied them the average viewer feels unfulfilled (look at "A.I.", which has suffered at the box office partly due to its surprising twists and turns).

My other problem with JP3's finale was that I thought a JP movie was finally going to have the guts to kill off a starring character in a meaningful way, but the filmmakers chickened out in the end. Note to studio execs: an action-thriller isn't as suspenseful if we can guess who is going to live and who will die by their character description and order of billing. One of the great things about the original "Alien" was that Tom Skerritt got top billing, but he died halfway through the film. Once that happened, the audience knew no one in the movie was safe.

As for Michael Crichton's novels, they don't always translate well for the screen. The beginning for the movie "The Lost World: Jurassic Park" was actually taken from Crichton's "Jurassic Park" novel, but it was arguably a weaker opening scene than the one Spielberg chose for his film version of "Jurassic Park".

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Yoda and Miss Piggy seen vacationing together on South Seas island resort, Kermit reportedly heartbroken."

19. JediPraxeum

JediPraxeum Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    I liked the direction they went for in JP3. More humor, and simpler plot, although the ending came a little too fast. I realy liked the pteradactles.
    I hope they make a JP4!
    If spielberg wants to go a diffrent direction with a 4th film then, let him.
    Having the story take place in the actual time of the dinos (mesozoic i tink) would be hard to make(no talking?!?) but it would be interesting!

20. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    I'd like to see Grant and Malcolm team up again in JP4. The two never really saw eye to eye and were like polar opposites while both experts in their respective fields. Maybe Malcolm could be a little resentful of Grant. If you remember in TLW, Malcolm was the only survivor of the original Jurassic Park who violated the non-disclosure clause and informed the public about the dinosaurs, thus leading InGen to discredit him and ruin his career. Malcolm could be mad that Grant kept quiet and never backed him up. This could lead to dramatic conflict between the two men as they reluctantly join forces to stop the spread of the dinosaurs to the mainland.

By the way, a lot of people thought the Spinosaur was a fictitious dinosaur simply made up by the filmmakers. It was real, people, although a bit smaller in actuality (longer than a T-Rex, but not as bulky).

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "I'm Dooku for Doku-Puffs!"

21. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Right.

Spinosaurus Aegypticus - unfortunately the species type (the specimen the species descrption is based on) was destroyed in World War 2.

22. rdsiam

rdsiam Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2001
    What could they possibly do to make JP 4 different? Dinos in Space?! You know, if the raptors get any smarter they'll be getting PhDs and research grants.

23. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Listen-why was there a Spinosaurus in Site B in TLW? Why had Spiny never killed T-Rex before?

Because there is some new group (Biosyn?) that is making new dinos in Site B, away from the watchful eyes of the US government.

At least I hope so. I hope it's not a blatent plot hole. :/

What I'm hoping is that we see more of Dodgson in Episode IV (oh now this is Star Wars), since he had so much screen(?) time in the two books.

24. Dubya_Fett

Jun 2, 2001
    EAGLEIFILMS: Like I said in a previous post, the unexplained new dinosaurs on Isla Sorna in JP3 was either a major plot hole (Grant wondered why the Spinosaur wasn't on the official InGen list), or it's a clue to JP4. Isla Sorna is under the protection of the US and Costa Rican governments and they won't let anyone visit it. So what if it is the US government that is secretly breeding the new dinosaurs? They have access to the dinosaur DNA and cloning technology left behind at Site B. They could set up a cloning lab somewhere on the island and no one would be the wiser. Best yet, the public would expect there to be dinosaurs on Isla Sorna, so any dino-sightings would not be unexpected, and the government would use public safety as an excuse to keep anyone away.

Why would the US government want to clone dinosaurs? I don't know, but maybe they think they can learn a lot from studying dinosaur genes or unlocking the secret of Velociraptor intelligence. Imagine the military implications of a trained pack of Velociraptors!

Maybe this was the importance of Ellie Satler's husband's job. He handles relations between the US and Costa Rican governments regarding Isla Sorna, which is how Ellie was able to get the Marines to rescue Grant and company. Perhaps Grant will get suspicious of the US government's activities on Isla Sorna and get together with Malcolm, and together they expose that Ellie's husband is part of a conspiracy to create new dinosaurs. The government's role is revealed when the dinosaurs escape to the mainland and the US Army is sent in to contain them before they reach American soil. Ellie's husband is revealed as a real jerk, he gets eaten by a dinosaur, and then Grant and Ellie get back together (I know, its hackneyed and predictable - all the more reason why it might appear in a JP movie).

-Dubya Fett
    Fettism of the Day: "Spy report: Episode II WILL have a love triangle, between Anakin, Padme, and Jar Jar!"

25. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Hey-isn't that a spoiler? 8-}
    Sounds cool to me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.