main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ON Kanata AMC 24 (Ottawa Area)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Mokitty, May 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mokitty

Mokitty Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2002
    Well, they never formally announced a date for when tickets would go on sale, and never advertised that they would be selling tickets in advance. I've been calling them every day and all you folks out here in the west end should know that tickets went on sale today at 12:15pm. I have mine already!

Of course since it wasn't advertised and they couldn't give a straight answer about when the tickets would be on sale over the phone until this morning, there was no line.

They are NOT running a midnight show (first show is 11:45am) and based on the timing I would say they are running it in only 1 theater (2 at most).
    For example one show is at 7:45pm, the next is not until 9:30. Kind of a shame, maybe if tickets sell out fast enough they'll add more shows.

BTW you all should know that I'm new here!!

-Mokitty

2. Kalgash

Kalgash Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    Mmmm. AMC 24. Yummy goodness. I will be seeing the movie for the 3 or 4 time at this theatre. I just love the presentation. The building may be a massive eyesore but the sound and visuals in the theatre are are to beat. At least here in Ottawa.

3. VeRmiLLionX

VeRmiLLionX Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2002
    WHAT!!! The Best....I guess you don't like Rear Surround Speakers then.

AMC does not have THX...SilverCity and the The Coliseum do.

I take it you live in Kanata.

4. Kalgash

Kalgash Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    Actually I have only ever seen dialog heavy films there because only they and World Exchange tend to run them for any amount of time. IE Best In Show. You know small arty type films. Where I wouldn't miss the rear channel.

Are they really missing rear speakers? Man. I may have to reconsider. Esp for that asteroid chase scene from the Clone War Trailer.

Hmmm... well at least the sound has never cut out and the movies are properly lit.

BTW I actually live downtown and prefer to go to the Coliseum and Silver City but since FP and FOX are in a little tiff I don't particularly feel like giving them my hard earned money.

5. sabre81

sabre81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    I totally understand. How about "Sum of all Fears", where would you like to see that? It opens at the end of May and it's not a Fox film. No tiff, where do you go?

6. Mokitty

May 8, 2002
    There are a few reasons I prefer AMC over Coliseum or Silver City:

1. Its close enough to where I live that I can bike there.
    2. The general atmosphere inside the theater. Its quiet and clean... you can go in without having your ears blasted off by the arcade or treading through someone's spilled taco.
    3. They don't tend to complain if you bring your own food with you. This isn't an advertised policy of theirs but its one thats great if you're on a tight HS student budget like me.
    4. Quite frankly, (and call me uninitiated) I don't really notice a difference between watching a movie in thx and not watching a movie in thx, its always just as loud so it doesn't really matter to me.

Plus, their ticket prices are generally lower... big bonus. ^_~

7. Kalgash

Kalgash Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2002
    S: I would prolly just end up at Silver City once again. Cause lets face it. For high quality presentation SC and the big C gots us by the short and curlies.

There are basically no other THX certified or high end cinemas around.

God I need like 5-10 million to sink into my own movie palace. Then all would be right with the world.

8. VeRmiLLionX

Apr 27, 2002
    Agreed.

Didn't AMC jack their prices up to match Famous Players? I know Cineplex did here in Toronto. Crappy-plex now charges $13.50 for it's "Grande" Cinemas.

BTW, AMC charges more for it's concession items that FP and Cineplex. Theatre ticket prices are irrelevant.

The reason ticket prices keep rising is the fact that patrons keep bringing in their own food, thus lowering the revenue for a movie exhibitor and in future the company must regain those loses and therefore offset the lose by increasing their ticket prices. (10 cent analogy)

So DO NOT BRING IN YOUR OWN FOOD. You'll just complain about the ticket prices later on.

9. Mokitty

May 8, 2002
    They have raised ticket prices recently, but its still only $9.50 for me to see a movie at AMC.

And no, I don't feel bad about brining my own food. I for one don't bring things I can get there. Generally I just bring my own drink because I don't like the pop :p
    I've never taken popcorn or candy in there with me, but it is nice to have the option of brining in a burger with you if you haven't had your supper. And before you say "at FP you can buy your dinner there!" let me say that personally I've never been impressed at all by the restaurants in Colliseum. They charge more for less and have a smaller selection. You can get more of the same stuff for less $$ just down the road at Bayshore (yeah, a taco bell just opened in there this week). And so it seems really stupid to me that I should pay a jacked-up price for a tiny cup of fries, etc.

I think all things considered people generally buy their food there, because its more convinient, and the presentation of the food counter is very attractive. What can I say I just prefer AMC.

And as a side note I read that AMC was raising ticket prices to cover the costs of their previously over-ambitious moviewatcher program. Under the new system they don't give out nearly as many free movie tickets.

10. sabre81

sabre81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    Vermy,
    Did I see Mokitty write that she can't tell the difference between FP and AMC theatres.

Mo, dear, I wish Lord of the Rings was still playing at SilverCity cause I would take you to both theatres for the same movie and show you all the sounds that come only from the rear speakers when you watch a movie in Dolby Digital EX. AMC does not have rear speakers for surrounds, only side speakers, and sounds that you would hear at SilverCity, in the rear speakers, would not even exist at AMC. To me that is something extra that Famous Players offers.

EP2 at SilverCity will sound totally different than at AMC. The sounds of a space ship or speeder flying over top of you will go right over your head at SilverCity. At AMC it goes down the sides.

I remember the first time I watched EP1 at SilverCity, I could hear background voices in the surrounds which sounded like someone was talking right behind me. I actually turned my head to see who was talking. The thing was there was no one else in the theatre and I knew there was no one else. That's what the difference is between AMC and Famous. In a word movies have a better feal of "realism" at Famous.

On the other hand maybe you don't see a difference because it isn't a priority for you. The sound of a movie is very important to me. Just something to keep in mind when you watch EP2.

11. VeRmiLLionX

Apr 27, 2002
    Well said, master.

12. Mokitty

May 8, 2002
    What you say about it not being a priority for me is probably true. I don't have any decent sound systems at home either... no surround on any tv, not even a subwoofer on my computer.
    But more than that going to AMC is just a matter of convinience for me... I'm near-broke all the time (so theres no money to take a bus), I have no car... fact is AMC is usually the only theater I can get to, and only because I can walk or bike there.
    But all these convincing arguments about why FP is better... I'm thinking I may go see AOTC at a matinee a few weeks from now at Colliseum if I can get a ride from one of my friends.

13. BrownCow1138

BrownCow1138 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2002
    you must live near me, Mokitty, because I go to AMC for the exact same reasons that you posted. What time are you planning on going to see AOTC this thursday? I might to at 11:45 and again around 6. You going to cut class to see it?

I am going to party with my friends in Hamilton this weekend so I will probably watch the movie again at a Silver City. We will see if these famed rear speakers make much difference!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.