main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by PADA-1, Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PADA-1

PADA-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2003
    Well it's finally here, the game that was pushed back for seemingly forever...KOTOR! I just picked mine up at EB,(along with the PRIMA strategy guide of course!), and I must say I am feeling very overwhelmed with just reading the manual! I mean, what does all this d20 and numbers and + stuff mean? I have never played an RPG before and this manual assumes you know what this stuff means, if anybody knows this stuff...HELP!!! It's going to take at least 3 or 4 days just to learn how to play this game for cripes sake, but once the learing curve has been breached I probably won't stop playing except to eat, sleep and go to work,(oh yeah, the wife would probably appreciate if I acknowledged her existence!). Sean and whoever else is reading this that is playing it, let me know how you are doing and maybe someone out there can explain the core concepts of an RPG game because I am totally confused!

2. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I won't be able to pick up the game until my next paycheck, But when I do I will definetely try to help you out. The numbers and stuff you were talking about though I don't understand either but I have only come across 1 SW game that I wasn't able to defeat so I feel confident we will figure it out. :)

ps...the only game that I never beat was jedi power battles for PS1. :)

3. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Well, in my adventures of online role playing d20 (or any number, actually) usually has reference to dice. However, on KOTOR it could be something all together different. Anywho, I've always learned the dice thing as (i.e) 2d20 - meaning two dice with twenty sides. The roll of the dice determines whether you accomplish whatever it is you wanted to do. The +stuff you referred to is generally an object, weapon or armor, which has been enchanted or specialized somehow to perform its duty that much better. Say, if you have a (14)+2 Enchanted Frying Pan and you were fighting a bad guy your weapon would have total hit power of 16.

I hope that made sense. And I also hope it's accurate, because I haven't looked at the manuals or anything concerning KOTOR.

4. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    Thanks JJ, as far as I can tell, the higher the number on an object or skill or whatever, the more powerful. I played about 2hrs. last night and had to stop to go to bed,(gotta get up and go to work!), there is ALOT of info. needed to be learned to play this game properly but I will get the hang of it sooner or later. Too bad you have to wait till payday Sean, the game is really well made and you can tell the time it took to make this game was time well spent, verrry detailed and massive, see you guys on Sunday.

5. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    Im finally starting to get the hang of this game and have about 8hrs. invested so far. One of the really cool things about this game is that there are numerous side quests you can do that aren't essential to the game but add to the overall outcome of the game. For instance, I had the opportunity of chasing off two little brats who were harassing an Ithorian or ignoring it. After my goody-goody partner told them to beat it I demanded credits from the Ithorian for a reward, which I didn't have to do but wanted to contribute to my dark side meter. For some bizarre reason, I was able to be a dance partner for a Twilek dancer auditioning at a cantina, complete with different dance moves to choose from, hilarious!

6. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    LoL, that sounds so cool. I want that game now... -- Hey.... You think I burn a copy of it? *innocent smile*

7. drkjedibgsu

drkjedibgsu Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2003
    So, for those of us that have invested some time into KOTOR, what direction R U heading--Light or Dark side? what about running two games at once, one light and one dark to see just how different they are? or is it safe to say this game rocks and has lots of replayability built into it by being a 'choose your own adventure' type of deal?

8. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    I am heading full tilt to the dark side brutha! Funny you should mention the "Choose your own adventure", that is what I thought of when I started playing. This game has a ton of replayability, there's no way you can catch everything the first time around playing light or dark, this game RAWKS! Now if I could just figure out this d20 crap everything would be keen. Oh, I would have a copy burned for you JJ, but it would not do you any good, the Xbox has a security check that only recognizes original copies of discs, DVD included.

9. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Well I actually was thinking KOTOR was on computer, so it didn't matter anywho. <_< I don't have an XBox yet, or any new systems for that matter! *pouts*

10. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    I believe that KOTOR is coming out on PC in October.

11. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Aha, well.. There's something to look forward to drooling over at Best Buy..

12. ohiojedi

ohiojedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2003
    well i got the game july 18th at blockbuster.
    i was amazed at how much lucasarts put into the making of it. i played it for couple hours during the night when kids went to bed. and it is definetly a RPG game. i have been playing for 3 weeks now, sporadically, not all together. anyone that needs help getting anywhere in the game, i will be more that happy to try an help. i am up to the planet Manaan trying to kill all the residents in the sith embassy without getting put on trial for all the ruckus that is happening. it is sometimes very challenging to play this game. but ya need to save the game after big battles and buy a lot of medpacs and advanced medpacs...the more experiences points you get, the stronger you'll become. let me know what i can help with.

13. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    Well my KOTOR experience is coming along quite nicely. I've been to Dantooine, Tatooine, Kashyyk, Taris, and now Manaan. Only two of the sidequests so far remain unfinished, Im trying to do every single one. My dark side meter is fully buried in the red and my character has developed cool sinister glowing eyes and pale mottled skin, how deliciously dark! I even managed to seduce my Jedi mentor Bastilla into a makeout session on the ship, this game is better than any daytime soap opera I tell ya!

14. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
  15. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
  16. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    Well I FINALLY finished the game! It took 54hrs 35min., and I still didn't finish all the sidequests. If anyone playing reads this make sure you finish them all before going to the Unknown world because your forced into the final stage of the game after that. All together the game was a Star Wars fans delight to play, time flys when your playing. The main quests and side quests were challenging but not impossible, a good balance. Now I am starting over with my character as a female light side which alters the outcome of the game from the dark side male character I was using.

17. ohiojedi

ohiojedi Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2003
    I haven't finished it yet...i am up to darth malak right now...not sure how to beat him...he is very tough but not impossible to beat. I have been reading online walkthroughs to get me by and there really is no easy way to beat him...they make it challenging...i found myself saving a lot and more than usual for the sake of getting somewhere. i am anxiously awaiting the arrival of star wars jedi academy due out in november for xbox...cant wait to play that one...it is kinda funny that KOTOR is thousands of years before the republic became a empire and jedi academy is after the fall of vader...kinda weird/cool...lol. I also read that in star wars galaxies, you get to visit the jedi temple ruins on dantooine but yet KOTOR, you actually explore this temple...so there is all kinda of cool timely surprises in each game...

18. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    Don't know if you are dar or light side but I used Deathfield,(dark side force power), to destroy the unused Jedi in thier containers. After each one destroyed I ran away like a little sissy and healed myself before stopping and destroying the next container. After that it was fairly simple to kill Malak since he can't regenerate without his precious jedi!

19. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    I finally bought the game today! It is very different than what I am used to, ALOT of talking. I just got done dueling with some guy named 2 fingers and am still trying to understand what I am doing. You can show me some tips on Saturday Aaron. By the way, what time should we show up and can I bring anything? :)

20. PADA-1

Feb 11, 2003
    I was thinking about noon, you can bring beer if you want to drink that or soda and a simple thing like chips or whatever. I have a Prima guide you can look at that might help with your KOTOR experience. Also, you might want to put up a reminder notice so that people who wanted to come to the original dated meeting will remember. Oh yeah, make sure to tell them to PM me for directions. Im supplying the burgers, dogs, buns and some sort of desert if others want to bring side dishes and/or drinks that would work out good. Oh, also I need to make sure everything is wrapped up by 6:30 or so, I am expected at a good friends birthday party at 8PM. That's about it I think, look forward to seeing as many people as possible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.