main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Last Chance: Myn and Lara >New Year, new posts, and yes, the end is nigh<

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by _Derisa_Ollamhin_, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Ooooh, I can't WAIT!

2. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Thanks so much for your support guys! here's the next piece for you. The post after it is in beta stages, should have it up by the end of the weekend. :)

Enjoy!

*Derisa*

The military schedule he?d kept to for so much of his life did not allow Myn Donos to sleep in, not even while on leave. As he lay on the bed, looking up at the dim ceiling above him, the ersatz CorSec officer considered how to spend the next three hours before he could reasonably be expected to show up for breakfast.

Several questions floated on the surface of his mind: he?d taken on the challenge of investigating the allegations that Rij and others had hinted at, about corruption at many levels of the Corellian Security Agency, but to be honest, he had only the vaguest idea of how to proceed.

He had flown with a man who exemplified many of the qualities of CorSec?s best, but Corran Horn was a naturally prickly personality, and not someone Myn had gotten to know very well in the few weeks since he?d transferred to the Rogues. Being that he was in the squadron?s chain of command, he had to know Myn?s full history, so the younger man was not surprised at the distance Corran had maintained. It was that coldness, that distance that he found himself copying in the role he played now, but actually performing an investigation of this nature would require a little more intense effort. If he wanted to succeed in his self-assigned task, he?d have to try and think like Corran Horn, getting into his head, to some extent.

[i]And exactly how do I do that? How do I get inside Corran Horn?s head?[/i] he asked himself as he rolled out of bed and dressed in a simple singlet and shorts, to take advantage of the extensive exercise facilities the hostel boasted. The answer came, his inner voice speaking with such a familiar caustic tone, that Myn had to smile wryly.

?Think like a paranoid Corellian.?

Myn felt a tightening of distant sorrow at the comment, so characteristic of the slain Wraith Ton Phanan, and had to shake off the chill that slid down his spine and raised the hair on his arms. He didn?t even know if Ton and Corran had ever met, but the advice was solid.

For all that he was Corellian, Myn had always been a more-open-minded sort than many from his isolationist system. This was likely due to his father?s very forthright raising of him, and his mother?s habit of answering every question he?d asked fully and carefully, ensuring the young Donos understood all aspects. Not only were there no stupid questions, his mother had believed that if a child was old enough to ask the question, he was old enough to hear the truth in answer. Willful ignorance was not tolerated in the Donos household.

As well as gaining a great deal of knowledge as a direct result of this policy, the fact that his parents were diametrically opposed in their political beliefs meant that he heard both sides of every issue. Myn had grown up with an innate awareness that there was always more than one side to every story.

[i]So,[/i] he pondered as he made his way down to the gymnasium, [i]I need to think about this from all angles. I need to know motivations and methods, of communicating the threat, and acting upon it. Methods of collection, and how they keep it hidden from the upper echelons. IF they keep it hidden...[/i] He sucked in a breath as this new thought occurred to him: [i]How far up does the corruption go?[/i]

He slid his false identification codecard through the slot and entered the extensive gym complex that formed the shared foundation of both the hostel and the main CorSec precinct office across the street. He took over one of the inset treadmills and set a programme for a forty-five minute run, with a decent warm-up and cool-down period, as Corellia?s gravity was measurably higher than the ship-board standards under which he was used to exercising. He stretched thoroughly before setting bare feet on the treads and beginning his programmed aerobic exercise.

As he settled into the work, his mind was freed by the repetitive movement to p

3. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    great post!

4. Captain_Yossarian

Captain_Yossarian Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 6, 2002
    Yeah finaly :)

Great Post!!!

5. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Oooh, goody! Yay!

6. Jedi_Wookie_Reborn

Jedi_Wookie_Reborn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    Come on, this rocks!

7. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    "Think like a paranoid Corellian."

[face_laughing!]

Wonderful post, Derisa! I'm waiting patiently for more.

8. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Yay! A post!!
    Very good. I like it. (I was wondering the same thing myself(how far the corruption goes))

9. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jaina_Solo_Durron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    it is good...i just found it, and it's a great story. more soon?

-JSD

10. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    Derisa
    I like how you are developing Donos' character and depicting his home life.

LOL How do I get inside Corran Horn?s head? ?Think like a paranoid Corellian.? :D

11. rogue11lovesjag

rogue11lovesjag Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Derisa, this is great!! I always wanted to know what happened with Myn and Lara!

12. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    upping, upping, upping....

what am i doing right now?

i'm waiting for another post and upping a fic that doesn't deserve to be so far down on the boards....

13. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Wonderful,
    More Please!!
    Reb

14. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I never in a million billion swings along the plane of the ecliptic would have thought this story would turn out to be so popular. :) Any who, thanks all (or should I say "Arrr! Thanks be to ye, ye scurvy scallywags, fer readin' and replyin' to me wee tale!"... sorry, last dregs of Talk Like a Pirate Day...) :)

Anyhow, here's the next piece: been at the betas for most of this week, but it's done and she was invaluable in her ever careful and precise assistance! Hope you all enjoy it! (Ah-harrr! Ye'd better, me rogues, or I'll give ye a taste o' the barnacles what're cloggin' me bilges! Arrr!)

;)

*Derisa*

After his workout, and a quick shower in the gym's well-equipped communal refresher, he made his way back to his room, to dry and dress for the morning's appointment with the overly-friendly woman from the tapcaf, Orine Vaylla.

The little restaurant served a fairly select clientele, but in his simple slacks and white button-up shirt topped with a dark brocade vest (which he'd not worn since the last time he was home), Myn actually fit in surprisingly well. Orine raised an appreciative brow as she scanned his understated appearance.

She was dressed more conservatively this morning, her heavy mane of dark hair upswept and tied back in a flattering style, and her arms covered by a dark red blouse over a flowing black skirt. She wore an ivory-toned sweater over the whole ensemble, and looked for all the world like someone's personal assistant, or an office aide. She had taken the liberty of ordering caf and pastries for the two of them to share, and Myn added a small breakfast order to that: a single egg, a few sausages and toast. He'd missed the spicier Corellian sausages since joining the New Republic, and was not likely to let an opportunity go by without sampling some.

They chatted amiably as they awaited their food, each subtly testing the other as they sipped at their caf and enjoyed the early morning sun that filtered in over the balcony's rails. The view was of Coronet City's inner harbour, and the sunlight created rippled reflections on the stone walls that lined the harbour opposite their perspective. Once their meals were brought, and a carafe of sunfruit juice added at the last minute, Myn activated the sound-proofing field that was a selling feature of this very discreet establishment, and they began to converse in earnest.

"You and others have hinted that you have been a victim of extortion, at the hands of Corellian Security personnel," Myn began directly. "I want you to tell me all the details of the coercion you have experienced from CorSec officers."

"And how do I know this isn't a test of some kind, that I'm not going to end up on the wrong side of a tough customer some day soon, as a direct result of this interview?" she asked brusquely, a frown creasing the smooth line of her brow.

[i]She actually looks smarter when she does that,[/i] Myn thought, but he answered her question without hesitation. "I'm not in this precinct. These aren't my friends we're talking about here. The abuses you and Rij and Axel have hinted at reflect poorly on the whole Agency, and that's just not right."

"A CorSec officer with some concern for the rightness of things," she remarked wryly, "However oddly skewed. No, it's not right, it's also illegal, but we're the voiceless little people of this world, let's be honest about this. Even if you manage to snare some of the guys doing this stuff, what's to stop their buddies from hunting me down after the fact?" She glanced over her shoulder, and Myn caught the furtive flash of her eyes as she scanned every other guest of the restaurant before meeting his gaze again.

His face settled into a very serious expression. "To tell you the truth, Miss Vaylla, I can't guarantee that that won't happen, even if you don't tell me a thing. I have no intention of stopping my investigations now, even if you refuse to give me any information at all, but we have likely already been seen together. I am afraid that no matter what you decide to do, you may

15. Lt_Jaina_Solo

May 27, 2002
    awesome post! when are Lara and Myn going to meet? sometime soon?

16. Jaina_Solo_Durron

Jaina_Solo_Durron Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    hmmmm...interesting...is she following him?

more soon?

-JSD

17. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I can smell the pastries and feel the warmpth of the sun in the booth WONDERFUL
    more soon!
    Reb

18. Admiral_Lelila

Admiral_Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2001
    Extremely intricate and intriguing.

WOW :eek:

I'll patiently waiting for the next installment. ;)

19. Guinastasia

Jun 9, 2002
    Oooh, interesting!

20. Xaara

Xaara Jedi Master star 3

Jun 30, 2002
    I just found this story and have one word to say: excellent. A great original plot and storyline, and a wonderful start on an intriguing story. Please, continue! :)

21. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    *looks at title of thread*

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe. Cool.

Great pot I MEAN, post. [face_mischief]

22. Jedi_Wookie_Reborn

Jedi_Wookie_Reborn Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2002
  23. neila_nuruodo

neila_nuruodo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Ooh, suspense.
    Good post, btw. Can't wait 'til they meet! (I mean Lara and Myn)

24. Jedida

Jedida Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    this thread needs an up :D !

25. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Gah! More suspense...

< looks at manicure and goes to hang on the cliff >

I really love the build-up. When this goes boom it's going to be spectacular!

Next post soon?