main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LCC IX BEGINS***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    (I) I liked Art of the Saber more than Ryan vs. Dorkman
    (II) Contenders was actually my favorite though.
    (III) Oh and I liked Ryan vs. Brandon most here too.
    (IV) I liked Conflict Within more than Centius
    (V) Oh wait, I'm agreeing with the judges again! Minor Threat was my favorite.
    (VI) Well ... this year was a no brainer.
    (VII) I objectively liked Entry 1 better than Bono Ex Umbris
    (VIII) I agreed with this year's winner as well.

Actually ... question to everyone: top five favorite LCC duels ... GO!

2. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Just five, eh? This is gonna be tough.

1) Ryan vs. Dorkman. It's really the one I watch when I'm trying to get in a 'saber mood. This was the video that made me realize "Hey, I could do that!"
    2) Eclipse. The first LCC 'art film' that I recall. The idea of a duel with a purpose other than killing each other was fun.
    3) Mae vs AdidasJacket. High energy, dynamic camerawork, good use of darkness right when interactive lighting was really starting to become a solid interest.
    4) Duel of the Dorks. Best use of environment, great serves-the-fight story and embodies the fanfilm spirit at it's finest.
    5) Neon Warriors of the Night. Humor. Fast, quirky choreography and a light-hearted, fresh take on the subject matter.

So many more I want to mention, there's a lot of good ones.

3. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Good question. Hmm, well taking in my enjoyment of the video overall and the creativity of the choreography, in no particular order:

Art of the Saber LCCI
    The Conflict Within LCCIV
    The Clash LCCIV
    Ryan vs Brandon 2 LCCVI
    Ricky Vs Silentbat LCCVII

I feel bad about not putting Eclipse in there, but if would were the number six. I don't so much as look at how complex the moves are as much as how real the movements feel.

4. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Awww thanks!

Love love love that one!

5. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    I tried to do this but when I go to File -> Export, it only gives me three options: .swf, .xfl, or .prproj.
    I have After Effects CS5.

6. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Thank you, sir! :)

7. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Because they changed it. Once you are in the composition you want to render, go to the "Composition Menu" at the top. I am on CS4 at the moment, but I have two menu items that work "Make Movie" and "Add to Render Queue". As far as I can tell they do the same thing. A new composition should pop-up called "Render Queue", and you can set all the setting that the previous post listed. When ready you hit the "Render" button, and then you wait a little bit

8. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    So, this week we got our sabers built, (minus the set screws for the blade)... They ended up being a bit heavier than expected. lol

9. ShadowDuelist

ShadowDuelist Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2006
    This has no reason to be there. Lol is not punctuation, please stop treating it as such.

10. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Depending on what you are using as blade material, heavier might be a good thing. You want the center of balance to be as close to the emitter as possible, so when you are in a one handed grip, the weapon is balanced. If the balance is off and too blade heavy, add a good sized bolt the the pommel. If it's hilt heavy, add some tape to the end of the blade. You to be able to balance the entire weapon on a finger right at the "crossguard".

Overall weight is important, yes, but a balanced weapon is equally important in my opinion.

11. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Looking forward to another LLC! Good luck all!

12. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    Wasn't a punctuation, it was a separate thought, because it mKes me laugh when I think about it.

Well, the blades are made of two separate materials. We got poplar dowls, very light weight, and yet good strength. The were sanded down, and forced into a thick walled PVC pipe. We did strength testings with the PVC, and it was very sturdy, and took quite a bit to break it by itself. And when over the dowls, neither of them bend.

Both materials were very profit weight. The dowls were less than half a pound, and the 20ft PVC was about the weight of a 360 controller, yet the two together turned out to be about five pounds, which isn't bad, but when holding it from one end for a long time, it starts to feel heavy. lol

The PBS also doesn't hut as much when you get hit by it.

I will end up buying carbon fiber blades befor filming though.

Might've found hd camera and sound equipment today, as well as a camera operator.

13. JediPastor

JediPastor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    I know I post this Every year so for this who've heard it please bear with me for those who are new.

We use golf club shafts. We hack off the clubs and cut off the rubber handle and wrap the whole shaft in bright duct tape. They are very strong and really light. You can find old used clubs at swap meets or garage sales for very cheap. I got mine from a friend who owns a pawn shop. He gets golf club sets in all the time. He gives me the ones that have the heads broken off. We are able to move very quickly with these blades and get a very intense looking fight because of the speed.

14. Sith-Man

Oct 19, 2004
    Hmm, I'll try that.

15. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    What would be the best film sword fights to watch in preparation for choreography?

Here's one of my favorites:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW8kvepI7WM&feature=related

16. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    [image=http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2836/rvn1tfn.jpg]

17. ShadowDuelist

ShadowDuelist Jedi Master star 4

Sep 21, 2006
    If RvN is really happening, I might as well concede right now. And yet, I still want it to be true.

18. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Of course. This explains much :p Should be cool to watch though!

19. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Everybody see the newest cinematic for The Old Republic?

Bioware wins the LCC.
    I've wondered if a fight like that could be cool or not. Bioware says yes, so now the trick is to do it live-action. [face_mischief]

20. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    Maybe you don't understand just how awesome Teague's post was, Vapes. Cower I say!

21. Joel_K

Joel_K Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    I don't believe it, knowing how anal Ryan & Co. can be about people in the background. ;)

22. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    I'm with Joel on this one. I call shenanigans!

23. NateCaauwe

May 30, 2005
    Oh that guy? He dies in the next shot.

24. Boter

Boter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Yes, Ryan dies, we get it. It happens a lot. And then there's always clones to replace him. We know the formula by now :p

Oh, the background guy.

...My point still stands :p

25. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    My point stabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.