main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LCC VI Rules***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Ok guys....here are the rules for the LCC VI. They're the same as last year's. I heard everyone's request and I think it's safe to adjust some rules even if it is for just this year;

Lightsaber Choreography Contest VI

1) We reserve the right to adjust, alter, add, remove, and downright screw with any rule that we choose. There is a reason for this. Circumstances change. We are not omnipotent. We cannot foresee every bump in the road. When things go bad, we have to do what's best for the contest. We will, however, do our best to keep things set in stone.

2) The new maximum compressed file size limit is set to 45 Mb or under. Also, all files have to be QuickTime. This is a standard format that we've always used and we see no reason to deviate. However you do have a choice of either compressing it with Sorenson 3 or H.264. Whichever will help you achieve the 45 Mb or under mark.

3) The new running times must come in under 7 minutes. Credits and opening titles, logos, etc., do not count against your time.

4) ENTRIES MUST BE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED. We can not stress this enough. We are not flexible on this rule. This one has been around from the beginning.

5) No single contestant extensions. If we reach the deadline and we deem that there are not enough entries received at the time, we may grant a small extension to try and accommodate as many as possible.

6) Go nuts. Use anything you want. Weapons, costumes, and yes a story too, if you like. As long as you meet the time limit criteria, we want to see what you have. Just make sure you remember that this IS a LIGHTSABER CHOREOGRAPHY contest. Have fun, guys.

Contest starts Friday, February 1st 2008 and the deadline for entries is Sunday, June 1st 2008. I threw in an extra month. Your entry must be in my hands before 11:59:59 PM, EST Saturday May 31 2008. That's 8:59:59 PM, PST.

Here are some answers to possible questions;

I will not accept .WMVs, AVIs, .DIVXs, .FLVs or any other file type that isn't .MOV.

Yes your entry will be disqualified if I see your entry posted somewhere else before the deadline of the LCC VI.

Yes you can add effects you couldn't get in, AFTER the deadline and host it yourself. But only AFTER the deadline.

No there will not be a DVD this year due to poor response and lack of know-how by new comers to TF.N last year.

Yes there will be outsiders entering the contest. I've got a few emails from people that are interested. Their entry, like last year, will be marked "Non-TF.N Member".

Finished Entries should be delivered to my LCC email with a link to either yousend or filefront to;

ObiJuan2080@sabercomp.com

I will also be available on AIM for file transfer if needed.

There you go guys. I will answer any questions you may have.

2. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Cool, so southern cali people please hit me up.

3. PaplooTheory

PaplooTheory Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2001
    Any Bay Area people want/need a fighter?

4. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Hmmm. Earlier than I expected.
    Deadline is the day before my birthday. Nice.

So. Who's in?

-Vaportrail

5. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006
    We should do that list thing we did last year, where we copy the list and add our name at the bottom of it and post it.

6. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    You should put them all on youtube and Stage6. You could still make a webpage - but these days youtube is far easier for the viewer, and you're more likely to get more than 100 votes total.

-Spiff

7. maul2

maul2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 1, 2005
    Agreed. I don't know if I'll enter. I might but i doubt it, most of my time will proabably be going to my Harry Potter film.

8. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    I am officially in. It's my first time in a LCC, and I am eager to do this. Man, that's so great. You can definitely expect my new lightsaber burn mark method in action.

9. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    *sighs* this again.

To this I say; "You're welcome to put your entry on youtube or Stage6 or anywhere else, AFTER the contest."

10. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    DENIED.

//Q3A

11. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    *Takes up arms by Spiff's side*

Seriously, making a channel specifically for the contest that you control, Juan, would be pretty cool and much more streamlined and easier for the viewers. You could easily make a playlist so people can just watch the entries straight through. Plus the option to keep videos private for however long you want would be valuable in my opinion. QT Downloads are sweet, but YouTube is quite a bit more convenient for a larger crowd[face_whistling]

12. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    With YouTube though, you'll get people watching this entry or that entry, and missing out on all the rest, or not caring to. Around here (I like to think) that everyone's fairly involved and take the time to watch, if not comment on all of them.

The added viewership is somewhat appealing, but I don't mind having it done the way it has been, either. YouTube's full of jerks, anyway.

-Vaportrail

13. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    Full of jerks indeed.

14. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    I want to add that for once, there will be tangible prizes. I will be providing to the winners, two custom machined aluminum lightsaber hilts.

I hope to have my shop setup soon at my new place (been unable to lift heavy stuff for a month due to torn intercostle muscles... they still hurt) so I can build them and post pics here well before June 1st.

They will be free of course (otherwise they wouldn't be prizes) and shipping will be free as long as it is to the continental U.S. If the winners live outside the continental U.S., then normal shipping charges apply.

I would like suggestions on whether or not they should be able to take 1 inch outside diameter blades (for Luxeon LED light up purposes) or 3/4" OD blades (think carbon fiber or aluminum tubes) as well as if the emitter should be "rotoscope friendly" or have cut-outs. If you have a suggestion on this matter, please let me know via a PM.

If any of you would like to see my previous work, you can check it out here.

Thank you and good luck.

15. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    Very nice very nice and very fitting! Winners get more lightsabers! Hooray!

16. QbnJedi

QbnJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    Evil Henchman those my friend are some nice looking sabers. I think that would a fantastic prize for those who are entering.

Fabian

17. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    Well I'm wanting to finaly get to enter this year. But it just depends on if my sparing partner is up for it. We've been wanting to do an entry every year, and have had choreography that we've been working on since contest 2, but never got to film, (due to no camera). So I'll talk to him, and then give an official word on it.

Should be a few days before I get to though, but yeah.

And thank you so much for bumping the time to 7 minutes, I've been requesting that every year. lol.

[face_peace]

18. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Free hilts, man. That's up to you. It's mighty generous of you, too.

Good show.

-Vaportrail

19. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    I'd be willing to front-page the winner at rhys-works.com if anyone's interested in that. Would expose it to around a thousand hits a day or so, and at full-rez or thereabouts.

20. sithjeff

sithjeff Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2005
    Sounds good Rhys. But 1000 unique hits or just hits?

21. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Unique hits baby. Last six months we tend to fluctuate between about 500 and 2000.

I can't guarentee everyone will click on it, of course. Would be prepared to do append/prepend the video with something from the creator if required, voiceover, website link, introduction, whatever.

22. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Mighty generous from both of you. Now I'm really glad that I decided to enter this. =D= =D=

23. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004

Yesh, I agree completely.

But one question about the hilts. By Custom, do you mean, of the winners design? Or do you just mean, that they'll be your designs, that aren't like any other sabers? Because sabers of the winners design would be awsome.

And I vote them to be stunt blade friendly, but with a cap for when the blades are out. (as in, a cap that will fill in the hole, and make it look like a solid show prop for wearing at conventions and whatnot.)

=D=

24. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    They will be of my design. I want to make them before the contest submission deadline. I'm also not fond of making other people's designs (too time consuming and too easy to mess up). Sorry about that.

Actually the only hilts to not have holes in the emitters were the prequel hilts (except for Anakin's in Episode III). The OT had holes in the emitters and in my opinion it looks better that way (I love the look of the Graphlex saber). Even though lightsabers are fictional and bogus in every way, I still like to think that the energy from the blade/crystal needs to emit from something with a hole on top rather than a smooth, solid surface. Also it's more work for something that I'm not seeing a return on.

25. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    I'm defintely in. Good to hear about the extended production time, run time, and file size. I also agree that Making a youtube channel would be good to get viewers and perhaps people who are intrested in future contest. It could be fun to have 2 seperate polls. TFN members can choose the overall winner, and youtube viewers can pick a 'youtube favorite'. Just some ideas.

But either way, Im so in for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.